Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind bender

Hey everyone,

I saw this on the Dustygrooves website in their Upcoming list.

Barry Forgie, Roger Roger, Nino Nardini & A Mawer -- Mindbender -- Stringtronics . . . LP . . . Mid-June, 2004

Boot? Doesn't say what label is bringing it out.

David
    God bless Fatso.

I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

It&#39;s coming in the next few days. CD &amp; LP. Legit release from original master tapes:

http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/stringtronics.htm
      60s & 70s Soundtracks & Library Music
      Spoken Word, Oddities and More
      http://www.moviegrooves.com

Comment

Oh my gosh what an awful cover. The og was lush.

Comment

i quite like this new one. what&#39;s the original one like?

Comment

I got my copy off this guy in the states. He used to do scoring work - He had a complete dewolfe run and copies of the master tapes for anything he had used.

Luckily he had &#39;Mindbender&#39; and he sent it me. I lent the tape to someone a couple of years ago to put on cd...Should be around Paris somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ July 07 2004,11:45)]Oh my gosh what an awful cover. The og was lush.
              I think it&#39;s OK, as covers go - at least it&#39;s not some horrible cheap looking thing done in Photoshop (I&#39;m looking at you, Phil Smee&#33; )

I do like that original though - similar to the cover for &#39;Gemini&#39;, but a bit more psychedelic. All the Peers have nice covers - some of the later ones are credited to Jack Mooring. I wonder if he did all of them?

Comment

the new cover looks like a shite chill-out comp, though. the OG looks way more fitting for the music.

Comment

&gt;the new cover looks like a shite chill-out comp

yeah - I agree, but it could have been worse

Thanks for posting the original. looks good, but (IMO) a bit too psychedelic for the tunes that are on the LP.

I&#39;m no library expert, but it kinda seems strange that the libraries would go to the trouble of having a &#39;cool&#39; cover designed when they&#39;re not designed to sit in a record store and &#39;sell&#39; the music....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (moviegrooves @ July 07 2004,13:01)]I&#39;m no library expert, but it kinda seems strange that the libraries would go to the trouble of having a &#39;cool&#39; cover designed when they&#39;re not designed to sit in a record store and &#39;sell&#39; the music....
                    Of course, most didn&#39;t - some, like Mozart Edition and Synchrofox just had a standard blank sleeve with a typrewritten tracklisting stuck on the back&#33;

Although some libs like Peer and de Wolfe did bother with individual covers, I think Bruton have claimed they kickstarted the trend for libraries to do covers for all their releases.

I do agree though, it seems a strange thing to do, especially as most of them just lie ignored in radio and TV station vaults&#33;

Comment

surely nick bantock was doing those wonderful sleeves for deWolfe a long time before bruton even started putting records out?

i can appreciate why individual sleeves would be something a library would consider - think about it, sleeves are designed to stand out on a shop shelf, to catch the attention of a customer (ok, sometimes it doesn&#39;t work&#33 so the idea of libraries having individual sleeves probably stemmed from them trying to appeal to their customers in the production houses.

you can imagine someone sitting there saying &quot;oh, we need a nice hard-hitting piece for this drama scene... right, let&#39;s have a look and see what&#39;s on this one, a nice green cover with an elephant sporting a hammer for a trunk&#33;&quot;  

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (sermad @ July 07 2004,12:35)]
                        I lent the tape to someone a couple of years ago to put on cd...Should be around Paris somewhere...
                        It might be your master tape used

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wooly @ July 07 2004,13:50)]surely nick bantok was doing those wonderful sleeves for deWolfe a long time before bruton even started putting records out?
                          Yes, but I think somewhere Bruton have claimed that it was their policy of adopting individual sleeves that spurred the others on - I can only assume because Bruton were very much the new kid on the block, but picked up an appreciative user base very quickly, and this caused the other libs to sit up and take notice. All guesswork by me, but I think it makes sense - certainly KPM started doing proper covers in 1980, a couple of years after Bruton started.

Whatever happened to Nick Bantock? I agree, his de Wolfe sleeves were brilliant&#33; EDIT: Looks like this is the chap&#33;

Comment

Does anyone recall the French reissue of the Peer &#39;5 by 4&#39; LP that had side one taken from tape and side two from vinyl? How did that happen? Was it legit?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 07 2004,13:57)]Whatever happened to Nick Bantock? I agree, his de Wolfe sleeves were brilliant&#33;  EDIT: Looks like this is the chap&#33;
                              nice bit of finding there, thames&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X