Zig Zag OST - Oliver Nelson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zig Zag OST - Oliver Nelson

Picked up a copy of this rare early 70s OST by Oliver "&#366 Million Dollar Man" Nelson recently; it features some amazing bongo-driven crime jazz.

Apart from "Skull Sessions" on Flying Dutchman, can anyone reccomend any other good Nelson vinyl. Has anyone seen "Zig Zag" ?!

Thanks for any help.

I'm still waiting for a copy of "Zig Zag" in the mail from a friend...from what I've heard it's supposed to be a good one.

Another excellent record in my opinion is "Afrique", also on Flying Dutchman, it's actually by Count Basie but arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson.
    Excellent african influenced, percussion fueled big band jazz.
    It was featured in my first guest chart for the Vultures.

Comment

"blues and the abstract truth" is worth picking up for the tune "stolen moments"...

Comment

"bongo-driven crime jazz"

Go on 70's Kid!!
        Top that for illmaddrama description style.
        Best new musical genre of the week award to Mr Kid over there.
        Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

Got a lot of stuff he's on as arranger (Jimmy Smith's 'Monster', Nancy Wilson's 'Today'), player (old Quincy Jones jazz records on impulse) & there's an excerpt from a 'Manhattan Suite' on the Polydor 'A - Z of Easy Listening' comp (the one with Ultimate Spinach & Xylos inc listed in 'ample samplers). Anyone heard the whole album of this one? (think it's called 'Jazzhattan' or something). The comp track's a good (if bongo-less) crime jazz mood-piece...mmm, nice!

(Edited by wayne at 1:03 pm on Mar. 14, 2003)
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try and get hold of some of the LPs you mention.

Its a real shame that Oliver's theme/underscores for The Six Million Dollar Man were never released on an LP - some amazing mid 70s american soundtrack funk.

Comment

johnny harris did a bunch of material for that series too, plus a lot fo the wonder woman stuff - all unissued...
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from 70s Kid on 7:46 am on Mar. 14, 2003
                Picked up a copy of this rare early 70s OST by Oliver &quot;&#366 Million Dollar Man&quot; Nelson recently; it features some amazing bongo-driven crime jazz.
                <span =''>

Does it contain a track called Time machine with harpsichord ? I'm looking for this track for a while but I never knew on which record it was.
                The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
                Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

Hey Planman,

I think you mean the track &quot;Sound Machine&quot;, it indeed contains some very fine harpsichord by Steve Allen.
                  Look for the record called Soulful Brass, it was released on Impulse originally but it was issued in the uk on EMI as well.

Comment

Check this link out where you can download some of Oliver Nelson's brilliant music that accompanied Steve Austin's escapades.

If I had a re-issue company this would be the first music I would try to secure the rights to....

http://www.sixmilliondollarsite.co.u...edia/index.htm

Comment

</span>
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from markie on 8:22 pm on Mar. 14, 2003
                      Hey Planman,

I think you mean the track &quot;Sound Machine&quot;, it indeed contains some very fine harpsichord by Steve Allen.
                      Look for the record called Soulful Brass, it was released on Impulse originally but it was issued in the uk on EMI as well.
                      <span =''>

Thanks markie !! What about the rest of the album ?
                      The only sure and foreseeable attribute of human affairs is their unforseeability; hence the trivialility of all the attempts in order to reduce the human action to a single reason, even interest.
                      Albert O. Hirschman (The concept of interest: from euphemism to tautology/1986)

Comment

</span>
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Quote: from theeman on 5:26 pm on Mar. 14, 2003
                        johnny harris did a bunch of material for that series too, plus a lot fo the wonder woman stuff - all unissued...
                        <span =''>

Other composers like Luchi de Jesus, Robert O'Bryant and J.J Johnson also did some great music for The Bionic Man. Jerry Fielding and Joe Harnell also did some great work on The Bionic Woman.

Comment

Thanks markie !! What about the rest of the album ?
                          [/quote]

You're welcome Planman!
                          Check my Digging behind the Dykes October 2002 chart for more info on this album, it's one of my favorites and not just a one tracker at all!!

Comment

Oliver Nelson arranged Esther Phillips' &quot;Just Say Goodbye&quot;, too. One of the greatest records ever.
                            Endless Tripe

Comment

</span>
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from son of stan on 1:42 pm on Mar. 15, 2003
                              Oliver Nelson arranged Esther Phillips' &quot;Just Say Goodbye&quot;, too. One of the greatest records ever.
                              <span =''>

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm still after this one...
                              He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Working...
                              X