X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jockey slut

They're dropping like flies.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Is it the same for other mags too? Seems the rise of the net has had serious effects on the sales of music mags.

Although I thought they were 'rebranding' Jockey Slut and relaunching it as something else (or perhaps i dreamt that?)
    www.myspace.com/usofaudio
    www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
    www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

No dead, just quarterly . . . http://www.jockeyslut.com/

Summer issue out next week it says
      Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Mr_Hopkinson @ May 29 2004,01:13)]No dead, just quarterly . . . http://www.jockeyslut.com/

Summer issue out next week it says
        Nope, it's gone. Kaput. Swinstead's gone bust.

I don't think the Net's had THAT serious an effect on magazines. The magazines that have gone bust lately, have done so because they weren't good enough. There are plenty of music magazines thriving, because they deliver what their audience wants.

Comment

i'm actually really looking forward to all the babies of the 90's to go. I mean, we just got rid of Face (ok, 80's baby really), why not Sleaze, Dazed and Confused, all of them? I know these are not really music mags, which part of the problem. the style mags halfardsedly covering music topics eat the music mags pie. can't remember when i would have read i real music mag, like nme, slut, q, etc. simultaneously can't remember when is the last time i would have read something great about music in a genericcoolness-mag.

What are people here reading anyway (apert of the dailies that is)?

I find Vice and Word both occastionally truly fantastic, as well as the swedish stylemag called Bon and the finnish hip hop mag Posse.
          er

Comment

Sleaze (Nation) is gone too, as they were also published by Swinstead. Funny how they both went for such serious "re-branding" so recently. I'd heard rumours about Slut going bust months ago... apparently their sales figures were ridiculous.
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

maybe one of the reasons JS etc fall by the wayside is
              coz the previous months issue is only 50p up at the market
              here in Milton Keynes. They have all the recent mags, Record Collector
              etc at 3 for £1.50, as new {well a month old} and
              when you can usually get the info you might need by standing
              in WH Smiths for half an hour flicking thru the new issues,
              who needs to buy the bloody thing anyway!

The CDs on the covers are usually shit too & just pushing whatever
              dodgy tunes are not getting airplay on Virgin etc that month
              and I don't think I have gone into a shop & bought a new mag in years!

I do subscribe to a few tho, The Wire, & Viz, tho I got sent a copy
              of a mag called The Void recently, published by The Independant,
              and that was quite good, but it was free haha!
              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

i think the one's who are failing (or have failed) are the ones that branched out beyond their music coverage, namely trying to incorporate anything that might appeal to the target audience, eg "club" culture, fashion, films, celebrity toe nail clippings, blah, blah, blah...

all well and good in the short term financially, perhaps, but it's difficult to maintain a loyal readership when you're offering the same recycled tabloid pap that every other similar title is doing. "diversification" usually meant poor content. (i'm amazed mixmag is still going in all honesty).

there are plenty of good music related magazines around - a lot more than there have been for a good while - and they seem sensible enough to be content with the niche they've found

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]i think the one's who are failing (or have failed) are the ones that branched out beyond their music coverage, namely trying to incorporate anything that might appeal to the target audience, eg "club" culture, fashion, films, celebrity toe nail clippings, blah, blah, blah...
                  Exactly why i think mags like Wax Poetics cut the mustard.
                  er

Comment

In Manchester JS was pretty omnipresent, but I rarely bought it (maybe once or twice ever).

I'm into a fair amount of different music (old and new) but there was never much of interest in that mag for me... which kind of sums it up I suppose as - little actual music content style type erm, "thing"

Used to be a diehard subscriber to Straight No Chaser since about the 2nd issue (in the jazz-dance/Dingwalls, etc era) but over the years that became a bit too much in the direction of either (1) Obscure world music or (2) The whole nu jazz/broken-beat/future studio thing.

Which are both alright in their way but it seemed to lose any coverage of the actual music with a groove. I don't buy every issue now, but for example, I haven't really seen any coverage of the funk-side in there (either new or re-ish business) that's been happening over the last few years.

Which was about the same point where Big Daddy came in representing the funk...

...and which was more enjoyable than Grandslam i thought - in it's own fanzine-y way.

Yup, Wax Poetics has some serious juice - but it's not really a music mag in the same way - in respect of news and reviews of records and events.

In conclusion, I still think there's a gap in the market, for a decent regular music mag (not just in one specific genre)

Comment

I agree, Si. Wax Poetics is utterly devoid of humour, unfortunately, so it's only ever going to appeal to men with beards and no girlfriends.

I occasionally give Straight or Wire a try, but they've become too intellectual for me, there's no sense that any of the music they write about is actually fun to listen to which, to me at least, is the bottom line of any record.

I've thought about starting somethin myself, but I'm not sure I can be arsed any more; what it needs is youthful enthusiasm (with some knowledge and humour to back it up). It's a lot of work for little reward.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 01 2004,13:44)]I agree, Si. Wax Poetics is utterly devoid of humour, unfortunately, so it's only ever going to appeal to men with beards and no girlfriends.
                        I'll have a shave (the girlfriend being a longer term plan - mebbe there's a connection? )...

I agree too, Wax poetics is way too dry and reads likes so many college dissertations (although I've found the latest more readable than many). Whereas I'm just missing the content in Grand Slam. Big Daddy used to take days to read, and not because it was an effort but because it was rammed with good stuff. There's a gap in the market for the definitive mag. As for magazines with a broader remit than just music, I sorely miss Grand Royal and, at it's best, Big Daddy even reminded me of that. It was never led by the advertisers or the markets (which I sometimes suspect of GS) but vice versa. That said I still read both Wax Poetics and GS.
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

good thread.

i've never subscribed to any music mags for most of the reasons quoted above. a subscription just seems to be a nerdy obsessive way to build another collection. i buy music mags if there's an article that looks interesting in it. subscriptions usually only account for 30% or so of sales anyway.

word does what it does extremely well. they have one of the best teams in the business, and they're all madly passionate about the magazine. the danger is that it's written by themselves for themselves - the mythical '50 quid man' - middle-aged, white, and prone to nostalgia. there's only so much that can be written about the beatles (or so you'd think...)

q's editorial team is much like word. very, very passionate about what they do, but they're hampered by their blue chip backers and have a massive commercial agenda to push product instead of meaningfully writing about music. mojo's success was accidental by the way. no-one expected it to approach Q in sales figures; it was conceived as a niche mag to appeal to nerds.

there are many problems for music titles at the moment.
                          1. deadlines get tighter. reviewers have less and less time to write about records. in some cases they might only have a quick skim through an album before reviewing (or even not hear it at all).
                          2. major labels get increasingly controlling. give someone a bad review and kiss goodbye to your promos, parties, album launch tickets in future. not an easy way to get a new mag into the market. Word wrote a great intro to their whole page Norah Jones review that said something like 'this review wouldn't be longer than a couple hundred words if the artist hadn't sold 8 million copies'.
                          3. distribution is tightly controlled. there's a level of sales required to get your mag into shops like WH Smiths, where the mainstream public will probably see it for the first time. can't guarantee to reach that figure? tough. find an underground distributor (and then get into the problems we report with Grand Slam and Poetics - no-one knows when the mag is coming out and some people get theirs a month before someone else).

i agree with bill wholeheartedly about No Chaser (and indeed this whole nu-jazz thing generally). it takes itself too seriously - it's like an over-earnest mate who feels they have something to justify or that they're a misunderstood genius that hasn't been recognised. i'd love to be proved wrong about the music though...

mags that mix style with music usually fuck up their music coverage for the simple reason that they have to be seen to be making a style statement in their reviews.
                          http://www.blaxploitation.com
                          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 01 2004,13:44)]what it needs is youthful enthusiasm (with some knowledge and humour to back it up). It's a lot of work for little reward.
                            yes, yes, yes. all the people in power in music publishing now are late 30s, 40s, even 50s, and seem jaded by the whole music business.

where's the spotty, well-listened, self-music-educated 18 year old nu-metaller to intelligently rip Norah Jones to pieces (in an article)?
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Let's face it the main reason for the demise of 'lifestyle' based music mags has to be that peeps who are really into music interface their 'scene's through clubs/bars and the internet... boards like these offer the perfect medium where we are not just told what is cool, but can add our own 2 peneth without the b*lls*it of editorial gatekeepers pleasing their commercial masters.
                              Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Working...
                              X