Carboot sales this years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carboot sales this years

this year at carboot sales there has been too many dealers, who like me are there at the start, my regular haunt keeps getting earlier 6:45 am @ the moment.
    My point is that unlike other years people are getting wise and are exploiting ebay like everyone else, my advice is to get there sharpish as these sellers are picking up anything that will sell, jazz soul funky etc.
    The only thing they seem to not pick up at the moment is easy but this will not be the case for much longer.
    there only noodles michael...

just off to my first one of the year - wish me luck!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I almost never go to boot sales mainly because I can't be assed to get up so early on the weekend. Anyway went to a local one to me today due to the fact that I've just bought a new bike and the sun was out! Lots of records there but not that much to get excited about. Bought the following for 50p each:

Suck it and See - Compilation of 70's work on the Vertigo label.

Larry Page Orch - Bridge Over Troubled water - One great track, Dingo - Double.

King Kong - Funky Reggae - Cool version of Funky Nassau - Double.

Lindisfarne - Nicely Out of Tune - Early folk rock from the Fog on the Tyne boys.

Samurai - S/T - Saw this in a box of junk, has an awesome cover, very psych. Naked man and woman on bed, him rolling a fat joint and her giving him a light, cartoon by the way! Looked at the record and its on the Greenwich Gramaphone Company label which I've never seen before. Got it home to find it has a connection with the band Greenslade and is worth £100! Might have to try this boot sale malarky again.

Comment

Overall, from my experience of the boots this year down here on the coast, I'd not really agree.

Certainly there are less records around per se, and some of the very common titles of yesteryear (like your SGA LPs for instance - still no Duke Grants for me) are thin on the ground.

I've still been able to fill my bag up on most occasions this year - despite the rather optimistic pricing on offer from some sellers - without greatly breaking my insistance only only paying a quid for an LP.

Seen a few 'interesting' attempts at pricing. A bloke yesterday had a copy of the RCA 'Jesus Christ Superstar' LP on his stall for £25, but a box of other Lps for 50p a pop. So I passed on the JCS and picked a handful of Lps by Pharoah Sanders, Spontanious Music Ensemble among others (minters too) for a couple of quid instead. Left a few more in the box too as my bag was already bursting at the seams.

So, if the dealers had been throught the place earlier than me, they must have been less than thorough. Overall, I think that us VV types are one step ahead of *most* dealers...those who I see at the boot are still really focussed on the general rock'n'pop market.

Now, the charities have been *really* poor this year on the whole....but that's another thread entirely
        Matt Hero

Comment

I agree that some dealers don't know there arse from there elbow, but its other people who a few years ago would eve look at the records, who are now picking them up to sell on and these people are multiplying.Still they only pick up stuff they know about.
          I also now go to the tips in my area a lot more, and records are usually commonplace, last year I found 'Dolly Catcher' which I still find unbelieveable especially as its in mint condition.
          This year I found 'happy sounds" by ray conniff, worth picking up for ecstasy.Self composed grooviness from Ray with a touch of the JCS.
          And Richard Evans excellent 'Dealing with hard times' on atlantic.
          Plus a lot of stereo gold award, what a surprise.
          People and charity shops throw records away willy nilly.
          And I say most excellent.

Comment

recently blessed with a car so the past couple of weekends has seen my first serious attempts at getting out to booters that aren't on the immediate doorstep. pretty good results so far :

a handful of original US 45s (Tramp, Soul Makossa, Son Of A Preacher Man, and Wilson Pickett - Don't Knock My Love.. can't get over how heavy the b-side of this single is&#33

a dozen or so original US lps (New Birth, Rufus, both UPP lps, Airto, Joe Cocker, Billy Cobham, etc), plus loads of UK lps like The Shadows (Specs Appeal and the Rarities LP), Bob Downes, Cleo Laine, etc, etc

All this and I didn't even get up til 9am as I haven't got the hang of early starts yet

on this evidence, most of the dealers are still in bed, I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (BONBON @ May 30 2004,21:33)]my regular haunt keeps getting earlier 6:45 am @ the moment.
              What a bunch of lightweights... Up here in Glasgow me and Fingersports are there before 5am...

That's the price you have to pay to find Male Stripper... as well as 20p of course - it was for the bird, honest!
              There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

I would get there if they started @ 3 AM or earlier for I am a true storm trooper.

Comment

got to the big bristol one yesterday at 6.15, picked up one LP straightaway - Dr Alimentado reggae LP. By the time most 'casual' sellers were arriving at 7-ish, there were four dealers/heavy collectors there that I recognised - apart from myself and my mate that I went with - so it was a bit of a scrum from then on. Still, picked up a few bits:

'Zacahariah' soundtrack
                  Horst Jankowski 'Jankowskinetik' (MPS)
                  Harry Stoneham/Johnny Eyden 'Two fellas to fellow' (Tepee)
                  Great version of 'Comin' Home Baby' - is there anything else on this label?
                  Samantha Jones 'The Other Jones' (Penny Farthing)
                  Climax Blues Band '1969/1972' (Harvest)
                  The Official Album of the Epcot Center (Disneyland)
                  featuring the unforgettable 'Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit' and 'Energy(you make the world go round)'
                  Racing Cars 'Downtown Tonight' and 'Weekend Rendevous'
                  Swingle Singers/Modern Jazz Quartet 'La Place Vendome' (Contour)
                  Various 'A Voice to Remember' (EMI)
                  lovely 1973 box set - first 75 years of EMI recordings, with introductions and commentary by Alistair Cooke - 'it's called the Electronic Synthesiser' etc..
                  a bunch of 80's soul/funk 12's
                  Roseatta Hightower 'Big Bird' (Toast)
                  great female version of the Eddie Floyd stomper
                  Wild Geese Folk Group 'Save our steelworks'
                  private EP from the Shotton Works Action Committee from 1973 - very moving, and probably unsuccessful in its aim.
                  some Thunderbirds videos for the nephews
                  a really good modern slide projector

which was OK but not really worth getting up at 5.30. My mate Roger that I went with picked up a few bits - the Harvest 'Picnic' sampler, Harry Stoneham 'I Feel Good', the Hendrix LPs on MFP, but there wasn't a great deal about - I checked the other dealers' purchases as well. Last year at the same booter I picked up good libraries, a 'Diamonds' soundtrack and a whole load of 45s, so maybe....everything's going on ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 01 2004,10:03)]Last year at the same booter I picked up good libraries, a 'Diamonds' soundtrack and a whole load of 45s, so maybe....everything's going on ebay?
                    Or maybe you just need to go every week...
                    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

ah.. but this one's only on twice a year on the bank holiday mondays - it's by far the best in Bristol (much higher proportion of casual traders compared to bootleg DVD merchants), so always make a point of going to this one. Bristol generally is cursed with too many people looking for too few decent records, so I tend to be selective. Also I work most saturday nights till 4 or 5 so I'm not too good sunday mornings....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Harry Stoneham 'I Feel Good'
                        I'd be quite happy to find one of these at a booter! Not seen one in the wild for years.

As for the matter of dealers getting to the boots well early, in my experience that's been the way for ever - even before every boot seller started to tell you how much they could get for whatever it is you're trying to buy off them on Ebay (well just fookin' do it then - you pranny&#33.
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ May 31 2004,12:46)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 01 2004,10:03)]Last year at the same booter I picked up good libraries, a 'Diamonds' soundtrack and a whole load of 45s, so maybe....everything's going on ebay?
                          Or maybe you just need to go every week...  
                          That seems to be the trick: I have two regular ones, both ten minutes walk from my house, and get along to one every Saturday morning, one every Sunday, never turning up much before 9am. Varies from week to week, but I'd say at least two out of every three visits are well-worthwhile. Size of market doesn't seem to be much of a factor - been to huge ones with nowt, and the tiny (seven or eight regular stalls) Cattle Market, which occupies a car park outside an auction house, turns up bits almost every weekend. Often it comes down to one stall: on Sunday, it was an couple with a bunch of boxes of old swing/easy/hawaiian LPs, other weeks it might be a single LP in every box you look in. I'm sure dealer's getting there at 6am or whatever scoop the occasional heavyweight piece, but they can't do every booter/market every weekend, so there's plenty left without getting up in the dark to beat them to it!

Anyway, between last weekend and this they'd overlooked the following...

33s:

Pointer Sisters: S/T (Blue Thumb)
                          Evel Kneivel (Amherst)
                          Various Artists: Born Bad Volume 1 (Born Bad)
                          Button Down Brass: The Exorcist, French Connection & Other Themes  (Philips)
                          Lebron Brothers: Brother (Cotique) [water-damaged sleeve, but lovely latin-soul LP]
                          Malicorne: Almanach (Hexagone)
                          Passport: Ataraxia (Atlantic)
                          Bob & Carole Pegg: He Came From The Mountains (Trailer)
                          Jerry Murad's Harmonicats: Theme from The Avengers...(Hallmark)
                          Sunbear: S/T (Soul Train)
                          Edmundo Ros: Bongos From The South (Phase 4)
                          Edmundo Ros: The New Rhythms Of The South (Phase 4)
                          Edmundo Ros: Latin Hits I Missed (Phase 4)
                          Stanley Black: Exotic Percussion (Phase 4) [double]
                          Xavier Cugat: Ole! (Columbia)
                          Webley Edwards: Fire Goddess (Capitol)
                          Big Ben Hawaiian Band: Hit Me Hawaiian (Polydor)
                          Ron Savage: FreewheelinÂ’ (Polydor) [did someone chart this recently? Very weird 1974 mix of easy + progÂ…]
                          Haleloke Kahauolopua : Hawaiian Blossoms (Philips 10”)
                          Tommy Roe: We Can Make Music (ABC/Dunhill)
                          Harry Stoneham: Hammond My Way (Contour) [picked up my first one ever last weekend – and here’s another!]
                          Alan Tew Sound: Music Of Tom Springfield – Latin Style (Contour)

7” 45s:

El Chicano – Baretta’s Theme (MCA)
                          Joyce Bond – Do The Teasy/Sugar (Island)
                          Bob Azzam Orchestra: Mustapha (Barclay)

12” 45s:

West Side Strutters: DealinÂ’ With The Boogie (Parachute)
                          Special aka: Bright Lights/Racist Friend (2 Tone)
                          Bunny Mack – Let Me Love You (Rokel)
                          Dynasty – I Don’t Want To Be A Freak (But I Can’t Help Myself) (Solar)
                          Climax – No GDM (Dedicated To Quentin Crisp) (EMI)
                          Tom Browne – Funkin’ For Jamaica (GRP)
                          Tom Browne: RockinÂ’ Radio (Arista)
                          Lene Lovich – Lucky Number (Stiff)
                          George Duke – Party Down (Epic)
                          George Duke – Brazilian Love Affair (Epic)
                          Joe Gibbs & The Professionals – Runnings Irie/Dennis Brown – Money In My Pocket (Lightning)
                          Rodney Franklin – The Groove (CBS)
                          Kid Creole & The Coconuts – I’m A Wonderful Thing, Baby (ze)
                          Skylab: The Trip – Naked Funk/Roni Size mixes  (Eye Q 10”)
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

After my first proper weekend of scouring, I'd say the Car Boots are very much maligned and misunderstood - it's the charity shops that are shite at the moment. Managed to get to three car boots, one market stall and one shop that I'd never been to before. Unfortunately, to add to the following list I have blisters on both big toes and one little toe as I was foolish enough to wear skate trainers to do my stomping around in.

The haul (all LPs, as usual):

New Cascading Strings - 'Contrasts' (incs 'Devil's Highway' and 'Spinning Wheel', both featuring Mr Hawkshaw)

John Gregory - 'Conducts The Sounds of Today' ('A Face In The Clouds&#39

Sounds Orchestral 'Clouds' (dope version of 'Superstition, I also liked 'Day By Day' and 'Star Buckle&#39

NYJO '11 Plus - Live at LWT' ('NYJO', 'Eleven Plus' - top jazz/funkery)

Simon Park - 'Venus Flytrap' (ages since I've seen this in the wild, 'I Can't Stand The Rain' always does it for me)

Secret Oyster - 'Sea Son' (nice jazz prog 'Oysterjungle&#39

Stan Butcher & Orchestra - Wrappin' It Up (complete dogshit)

Man - 'Welsh Connection' (Just for the little break on 'Out of Your Head&#39

Tommy Roe - '16 Greatest Hits' (always worth grabbing for bolstering the auctions)

Ed Delaney - 'Skin Ed Goes Skin Deep' (2 copies, again, worth grabbing for 'Big Noise from Winnetka' to please the break fiends&#33

Harry Roche Constellation - 'Spindrift' (wasn't convinced by this at all, but 'Warm Punch' may yet win me over)

Mike Vickers - 'A Day At The Races' (again, not wholly thrilled, but 'Pit Stop' is pretty cool)

Ian Carr with Nucleus Plus - 'Labyrinth' (Reliably good jazz/rock/prog/grooves from the hirsute gang, 'Bull-Dance', 'Exultation' and 'Naxos' are all winners, it wasn't 50p though&#33

Bones Galore - 'Work Song' (must stop buying copies of this now&#33

Grumbleweeds - 'In A Teknikolor Dreem' (Ahh! So THAT'S who Graham Walker of 'Hair' fame is!! One of the fucking Grumbleweeds!! And this is where the Hawkshaw connection persists - The Hawk arranged/conducted on this LP. Actually signed by Graham, the Charlie Drake lookalike! Woah, woah weeeeee...are the Grumbleweeeeeeds! Bloody odd record though&#33

That's your lot for this week. I'm off to bathe my feet and watch Ramsay bollocking Edwina Currie. Which I'd like to do with a set of ginsu knives.

Back to work tomorrow. Ho hum.
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Grumbleweeds - 'In A Teknikolor Dreem' (Ahh! So THAT'S who Graham Walker of 'Hair' fame is!! One of the fucking Grumbleweeds!! And this is where the Hawkshaw connection persists - The Hawk arranged/conducted on this LP. Actually signed by Graham, the Charlie Drake lookalike! Woah, woah weeeeee...are the Grumbleweeeeeeds! Bloody odd record though&#33
                              Ben - you spawny get I've been looking for this for over a year now - honest.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X