Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New recommended records

Hello chaps.

Picked up the new jazz record recommended by MrBoneyVotel in an earlier thread.

What else out there is good?
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Check out Rufus Wainwright. The single was kind of mad orchestral pop. I thought it sounded cool on first listen on the radio. Not sure what the rest of it is like. I'll report back.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Cheers Sermad. I will investigate Mr Rufus Wainwright.

Come one VVers there must be loads of good new records out there that I should be listening to.

Comment

Natty Bo and the Hep Cats - Ska Cubano 45 - two sides of summery latin-y ska. not amazing, but nice enough.

also there&#39;s a new RSL, but i didn&#39;t like it as much as Wesley Music, and i think i saw another Red Astaire (on GAMM?) as i was leaving a shop at the weekend.

Comment

oh i remember - it was Red Astaire remixing Greyboy on Ubiquity i think

Comment

Domu - Worldwide (Loungin&#39 (top broken beat action)
            Ohmega Watts - A Request (Ubiquity) (slightly old school-sounding hip hop with killer rhythm)
            Rim - Subdued (Compost) (brilliant slow soul, clip - from Juno - here:
            http://217.158.65.110/MP3/SF147236-01-01-01.mp3
            The Roots - Don&#39;t Say Nuthin&#39; (amazing record&#33; this sounds so good loud)

Also: the new ?uestlove label Okayplayer has got a really good compilation coming out (I&#39;ve got a promo) which has three ace tunes on it: Jean Grae - Keep Livin&#39;, Baby Blak &amp; Adam Bomb - Can&#39;t Help Them With That and Little Brother - Shake It.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Cheers MrBongolia and LadyBoyGrimsby. I shall check out your recommendations.

Keep them coming..

Comment

That playgroup common one bill and myself got a couple of weeks back was good.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 02 2004,15:50)]Ohmega Watts - A Request (Ubiquity) (slightly old school-sounding hip hop with killer rhythm)
                  I second this one..

Also &#39;Lola&#39; 7&quot; by Blend Crafters, who are comprised of the currently ubiquitous DJ Nu-mark and some mate of his. Anyway, it&#39;s a tasty, cut &amp; pasty, funk-filled party-rocker done just how we like it.

New Hieroglyphics 12&quot; &#39;Make Your Move&#39; has a nice rmx by 9th Wonder of Little Brother fame, if you&#39;re feeling those soul-hop stylee vibes..
                  Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

the new RJD2 album is very splendid, not the instro-hip-hop you&#39;d expect. although sample based (i&#39;m guessing) it&#39;s got a good 70&#39;s funky psych air to it&#39;s production. it&#39;s even got guitars for goodness sakes.. repeated listens for me which is a rarity for a new record.

Spinbad&#39;s &quot;Hip-Hop Vs History&quot;. Remix of the KRS-1 classic, both big and clever.

Speech Defect&#39;s &quot;Wanna Do My Thing&quot;. Lovely laidback hip-hop on Gamm - there&#39;s a nice bonus breaks mix too on the flip

Induceve &quot;Time To Begin&quot;. New Henrick Schwarz rmx is a fantastic reggae house electronic extravaganza.

Quantic &quot;Don&#39;t Joke With A Hungry Man&quot;. Spanky Wilson on vocals&#33;&#33; Can&#39;t fail, and it doesn&#39;t..

Divinti &quot;Find A Way&quot;. Proper (house) Garage record from Detroit. Very relaxed and summery.

The Nick Drake &quot;Made To Love Magic&quot; is cool as well. ok, it&#39;s not stricly *new* music, but well worthwhile

Comment

RJD2 album, definitely - though my local indie record store have reported quite a few returns by appalled straight-edge hip hop heads who bought it blind...

Intuit album is amazing - there&#39;s an absolutely killer afro-beat tune on there featuring Doug Carn

Aspects &#39;Mystery Theatre&#39; LP - got a CDR of this, excellent with some great Little Barrie input.

Fingathing new album has its moments...

but really waiting to hear the Beasties LP after the tremendous single

singles:

Quantic/Spanky Wilson single, certainly one of the best funky things around for ages.

Zap Mama &#39;Bandy Bandy&#39; (Giant Step) with a great downtempo Carl Craig mix

Birdy Nam Nam (French turntabalists and former DMC champions) - great 12&quot; with lots of very weird noises, works well at 45 AND 33.

Bigger Bear vs Hairy Claw &#39;Clash of the Big Paws&#39; filthy twisted disco 10&quot;

Blend Crafters &#39;Lola&#39; 45 - NuMark and another guy whose name I forget - based very loosely on the Kinks track.

Fried &#39;When you get out of jail&#39; - RZA produced funky soul 45 like the best of the Young Disciples stuff.

seven-inch by a band called the Dirty Feel, rough funky rock, White Stripes crossed with the Meters, perhaps...

Got a 4-track promo of the new Bees album which sounds pretty fine

just picked up a compilation on a label called 4lux called &#39;Cool, Calm and Collective&#39; which sounds good - broken beat kind of gear

loads more too...haven&#39;t heard the new PJ Harvey album yet, any thoughts?
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 04 2004,00:32)]haven&#39;t heard the new PJ Harvey album yet, any thoughts?
                        saw her on Jools Holland last week. on form as ever, particularly liked the track which she performed towards the close of the show (i can&#39;t recall the title but it had lots of posturing and swearing which appealed to my latent teenage tendencies)

Comment

Seriously I thought that RJD2 lp was total dog turd. I really liked the first one too. Im checking him out live tomorrow so maybe that will change my mind.

Comment

I&#39;m putting RJD2 on next Wednesday so just as well I like the LP....
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 04 2004,00:48)]I&#39;m putting RJD2 on next Wednesday so just as well I like the LP....
                              try and find out some of the source material..&#33;

that should be a really good show, actually, wish i could make it down. is he doing anything in manchester, do you know?

i read most of it the new album is *original*, or more realistically maybe, *re-recorded*, but i&#39;d be very surprised if that was indeed the case. no offence, mr 2, if you&#39;re reading, it&#39;s just that it&#39;s very convincingly done

after all, is that really him singing on that great &quot;making days longer&quot; track? there are no other musicians credited

let us know if he starts to croon, john

Comment

Working...
                              X