Present day session covers albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present day session covers albums

There's a Manic Street Preachers covers CD in my local Post Office. It's by Studio 99 Band (something like that). It got me wondering how much of that stuff is still being made. I thought these type of albums had died out. Anyone else encountered any?

there seem to be millions of 'em on CD, all made by some sad loner in a bedroom studio.

i rashly bought one of these CDs made up of the world's worst versions of TV theme covers you've ever heard. it's so good i might post some of the tracks here as MP3s or summat.
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

On a kinda related note, I saw a TOTP LP last week with a mooted cover of 'Autobahn' on it. I was very curious, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it!

How can anyone cover 'Autobahn'?

If anyone's heard it, please reassure me that I did the right thing in walking away!
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (theeman @ June 02 2004,15:07)]there seem to be millions of 'em on CD, all made by some sad loner in a bedroom studio.
        Where are they sold? I never see any. There again I never really pay much attention to CDs so that could be why. Hmmmmm.....

Ben, you did the wrong thing.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]If anyone's heard it, please reassure me that I did the right thing in walking away!
          Ben - I've got that and it makes me chuckle every time - not sure if that's a recommendation though!
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

The Autobahn cover is generally regarded as being one of the best in the TOTP series, for what it's worth. It took Bruce Baxter a whole day to record with his new ARP 2600. I've probably got a spare if you're really desperate to hear it!

Those Studio 99 Band CDs are quite interesting, as a lot of them recycle old tracks from Stereo Gold Award LPs - though obviously not the MSP one!
            They're released on the Going For A Song label, who seem to me to be the spiritual successor to SGA, Windmill and the like, even using some of the same material.

Their Bond themes CD is awful though - it's basically all ripped off the fantastic 'Eric Winstone Plays 007' LP on Avenue, but in the worst sound quality ever. There's even a dirty great jump on one track! And I paid £1:99 for it too.........

Comment

One of my favourites was when Alan McGee got his dad to do a full set of orchestral covers of Oasis songs for Rev-Ola as The John McGee Orchestra...very nice it was, too! Shame they never kept it up...

Most of the ones I've heard otherwise have been dreadful synth manglings of terrible chart-fodder, though. Seen ones titled 'Synths Play The Hits Of Phil Collins' and the like lurking on CD in charities before now...

But there's 'adventurous digging', then there's outright 'masochism'. I try to keep the line (reasonably) clear...

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I always wondered about that John McGee CD - my local Virgin Megastore's had a copy for about seven years now!

I have a couple of those 'Synthesiser Orchestra play the hits of....' CDs, but only because they were part of a job lot......I may have no taste, but I'm not that bad! They are as bad as you think they're going to be, believe me!

The Studio 99 covers CDs seem to be fairly accurate covers, ala SGA and the like. One of the singers on the Beatles one sounds like Elvis Costello, though!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 01 2004,17:41)]I always wondered about that John McGee CD - my local Virgin Megastore's had a copy for about seven years now!
                  Well, I suppose there's the explanation as to why they didn't keep it up, then...
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ June 02 2004,15:29)]On a kinda related note, I saw a TOTP LP last week with a mooted cover of 'Autobahn' on it. I was very curious, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it!

How can anyone cover 'Autobahn'?

If anyone's heard it, please reassure me that I did the right thing in walking away!
                    Maybe you should have taken a gamble???

Boogiejuice at it again!!!
                    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

go here http://www.vitaminrecords.com/morein...cat=8760#title for lots of String Quartet and Lounge tributes to lots of people . . .
                      Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ June 02 2004,19:13)]Boogiejuice at it again!!!
                        To be fair he hasn't really overdone it with the description.
                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

£10:50!! Cor, if there are that many lunatics on eBay, I could be quids in with my TOTP spares!

Particularly as my employers don't seem too keen on paying me at the moment.......

Comment

Working...
                          X