Baroque'n'stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baroque'n'stones

There is a record in my local vinyl emporium that is tempting me. It is called "Baroque'n'Stones" and is an album of Rolling Stones covers done in a French Baroque style on the Hanna Barbera label. I keep ignoring it but temptation is getting the better of me. Unfortuantely, its £5 which is too much for me to buy blind and the shop will not play it for me. Can someone out there put my mind at rest and tell me whether its rubbish or worth getting.

Cheers my dears
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

No idea, but personally I'm a sucker for LPs like that: 'Bacharach Baroque', 'Baroque Brass', you name it...I'll buy it. Certainly can't imagine harpsichorded & brassed-up Stones covers could be anything less than listenable, though?

If you get it & don't like, I'll happily trade/purchase it off you

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wayne @ June 02 2004,16:28)]No idea, but personally I'm a sucker for LPs like that: 'Bacharach Baroque', 'Baroque Brass', you name it...I'll buy it. Certainly can't imagine harpsichorded & brassed-up Stones covers could be anything less than listenable, though?

If you get it & don't like, I'll happily trade/purchase it off you

Talking of harpsichord, anyone know who did that remix of Wynder's 'Harpsichord Shuffle'?

Cheers!
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Bentley Rhythm Ace? Are you talking a few years back???
        There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Oh, I think you should check the track listing there Mr Hand Corner. Don&#39;t forget that a lot of Mick &#39;n&#39; Keef&#39;s early output (Play with Fire, Lady Jane) was already pretty baroque. Nice enough, but there&#39;s a risk of too much harsichord tinkling there (Having said that, Frank Chacksfield&#39;s version of As Tears Go By is really ... nice). If, however, it includes some of their more upbeat numbers I&#39;d snap it up (mainly because these records often add beefy drums to their chamber ensembles).

By the way I gave &quot;Sympathy For The Devil&quot; off Get Yer Ya Yas Out its first spin in years the other day and by beelzebub, was it funky. Just thought I&#39;d share that with you. Woo woo.
          It ain&#39;t shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ June 02 2004,17:36)]Bentley Rhythm Ace? Are you talking a few years back???
            That&#39;s the one - cheers fella&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ June 02 2004,17:49)]By the way I gave &quot;Sympathy For The Devil&quot; off Get Yer Ya Yas Out its first spin in years the other day and by beelzebub, was it funky. Just thought I&#39;d share that with you. Woo woo.
              er, Bananarama&#39;s rip of this is worth a listen too. Really.

Comment

The Chamber Pop Ensemble on Decca&#39;s worth a punt too - great version of &#39;(I Can&#39;t Get No) Satisfaction&#39; with the Hawk on organ.

Harpsichords rock&#33;

Comment

Bought the LP last night for a reduced sum of £4.

I am not a connoisseur of Baroque music but would imagine this LP would rock any Louis XIV style parties.

The LP includes covers of Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Get Off My Cloud, etc. It is mainly instrumental but does have the odd Novi Singers style flourish.

The cover artwork is great. I am tempted to keep the LP just for this however I will part with it Wayne. PM if you&#39;re interested in this example of DeepBaroque.
                  records - one a week mixcloud
                  records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ June 02 2004,11:20)]Bought the LP last night for a reduced sum of £4.

I am not a connoisseur of Baroque music but would imagine this LP would rock any Louis XIV style parties.

The LP includes covers of Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Get Off My Cloud, etc. It is mainly instrumental but does have the odd Novi Singers style flourish.

The cover artwork is great. I am tempted to keep the LP just for this however I will part with it Wayne. PM if you&#39;re interested in this example of DeepBaroque.
                    A PM should be with you as I type...and I don&#39;t mean Tony Blair.
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Any chance of a tape when you get it, Wayne?

I was highly amused to see Bentley Rhythm Ace were support act for Voice of the Beehive at the Hammersmith Appollo a while back - the &#39;Solid Silver Nineties Nostalgia Shows&#39; start here, folks&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 02 2004,15:33)]Any chance of a tape when you get it, Wayne?

I was highly amused to see Bentley Rhythm Ace were support act for Voice of the Beehive at the Hammersmith Appollo a while back - the &#39;Solid Silver Nineties Nostalgia Shows&#39; start here, folks&#33;
                        Assuming the Royal Mail can get it here, a tape will be no problem&#33;

I dimly recall interviewing Bentley Rhythm Ace around the time of their 2nd LP&#39;s release, and they were going on admiringly about Spike Jones and his drum kits made of skulls, and listening to &#39;Teddy Bears Picnic&#39; and the Bonzos all the time on their tour bus...

And didn&#39;t the crass attempt to kickstart a 90s revival start before the decade had actually ended, with lavish &#39;best of&#39; CDs for the likes of Jesus Jones and EMF? Not to mention a recent deluxe reissue of an LP by The Farm I saw being reviewed the other weekend...Flowered Up and Northside next, I suppose?

Mind you, anything that got Intastella&#39;s 1st LP, the better World Of Twist tracks and pretty much everything by Saint Etienne back on the playlists would be fine by me&#33;

Comment

Curses - I loathe Bentley Rhythm Ace, but if they like Spike Jones they can&#39;t be all bad&#33;

Comment

Working...
                          X