Ron Savage: Freewheelin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Savage: Freewheelin'

Picked this 1974 Polydor LP up at the weekend, vaguely recognising it from someone's chart or a thread or something, and it's quite peculiar stuff: parping trumpets, proggy synths and structures, loads of original tunes like 'Square Dance On Mars' (like a JJ Perrey tune done without a moog), 'Space Love/Lunar Landing' (starts of slow, gets quite fusion-funky towards the end), 'Enoch Balsavage's Triumphant Return To Poland' (sort of weirding up of a Tchaikovsky tune), 'Starship', 'Jazzelujah', 'Barnum & Gumbo', 'Sunwheel Dance' and the like.

Very strange record all round, probably more 'interesting' than listenable at times, but does anyone know anything about it? Sounds like something where the players skirt being really good often enough to hint that there might be other, more consistent efforts out there...

Sleevenotes say Savage is a Philadelphia based trumpeter, and the line-up is Ron Moss (bass/trombone), Tom Armistead (electric piano), Dave Haskins (drums) and Graham Todd (arranger/producer)...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Yeah Wayne, it was in one of my charts ages ago - had to include it for the strange funkiness of "Space Love / Lunar Landing".

... as for info regarding the players... not a clue
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Graham Todd was (and probably still is) a British session organist, who also did some stuff for de Wolfe in the 80s (and a bit of test card music called 'Arp Bach', which I'm after a copy of, by the way&#33

He was also the man behind the charity shop staple 'Graham Todd's Harmonising Hammond' on Warwick, which has one pretty decent medley on it. I've got a spare, you know..........

'Freewheelin' is an odd LP - I tend to give it an occasional spin, think 'Wow, this is really good, why don't I listen to it more often?', then put it away for ages again. I like it, but I should play it more than I do. If that makes sense.

Comment

Thanks, Sie, for letting me know I wasn't going mad...knew I'd heard of it somewhere when I picked it up!

Agree with Lord Thames, though, that while it's on you're thinking 'all the right elements are here - I should really be getting into this', but somehow it just doesn't have the 'ingredient x' that fulfils the potential...

Funny how that works, isn't it?
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I got this record sleeve on Saturday. Looked desperately around for the vinyl in amongest the rest of the stuff but no joy (the only recordless sleeve!). Hadn't heard of it before but with tracks like Space Love and Lunar Landing I was guessing it had some merits and the above just confirms that

Anymore people picked this up in the years since Wayne's post?
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
            I couldn't tell you if I've even seen my copy since this thread was started!

(slopes off to google images for memory jogger...)
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
              I got this record sleeve on Saturday. Looked desperately around for the vinyl in amongest the rest of the stuff but no joy (the only recordless sleeve!). Hadn't heard of it before but with tracks like Space Love and Lunar Landing I was guessing it had some merits and the above just confirms that

Interesting in parts - never quite hits the mark IMO (there's a copy in my outpile) bit like the America Bellotto and Albert Hall LP's
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
                Interesting in parts - never quite hits the mark IMO (there's a copy in my outpile) bit like the America Bellotto and Albert Hall LP's
                With anyone else that would mean it was shit but with your outpile...well, you know

Could be interested in that one mate....although if it's more fusion than funk I might struggle.

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
                I couldn't tell you if I've even seen my copy since this thread was started!

(slopes off to google images for memory jogger...)
                Foxy chick in a field with a parasol Sie.
                Last edited by Campag Record; 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM.
                "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Just picked up a copy..... I think it is excellent!! Weird, bonkers and cheesy - yes. But being virtually all self-penned tracks rather than covers makes it a unique experience. Favourite tracks are: Jazzelujah, Barnum & Gumbo (great wah-wah action), Sunwheel (drums and prog) and the chilled out spacey Starship and Lunar Landing.

It will get a play out at the next Brillo for sure

Last edited by pitch; 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM.
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                    Just picked up a copy..... I think it is excellent!! Weird, bonkers and cheesy - yes. But being virtually all self-penned tracks rather than covers makes it a unique experience. Favourite tracks are: Jazzelujah, Barnum & Gumbo (great wah-wah action), Sunwheel (drums and prog) and the chilled out spacey Starship and Lunar Landing.

Just picked one up from Ebay Uk on your recommednation Steve, hope I like it now!

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                      Just picked one up from Ebay Uk on your recommednation Steve, hope I like it now!
                      Depends on your cheese threshold Mark...... I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                        Is that a promise

Sounds interesting anyway
                        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

https://tonyortega.org/2016/05/02/ab...t-get-to-hear/

Comment

wow!

Comment

Working...
                            X