Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions for the boffins

Question 1:

I know that Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" is a cover of the Gloria Jones soul tune, which incidentally is a real stonker and tends to send people into St. Vitus style spasms when dropped.

I'm curious: in the 12" mix of the Soft Cell version, it medleys into "Where Did Our Love Go?" - is this another Northern Soul cover? Sounds to me like it could be.

Number 2:

Having picked up a couple of Debbie Deb singles recently, it has occurred to me that Pretty Tony made some awesome beats, also that Debbie Deb can't sing for shit.

A quick 'bay search on Pretty Tony reveals quite a lot of singles, unfortunately no audio. Anyone out there got some favourites they might recommend? I'm feeling this.

Okay, let's discuss this now.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (formigo @ June 03 2004,00:11)]Question 1:

I'm curious: in the 12" mix of the Soft Cell version, it medleys into "Where Did Our Love Go?" - is this another Northern Soul cover? Sounds to me like it could be.
    supremes?
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (formigo @ June 03 2004,00:11)]Okay, let's discuss this now.
      mate, if you were more of a rugby boffin we could discuss the AB's trial and the spanking they'll be giving to the Pom's saturday week - there must be at least one vulture who has that one in their diary!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 03 2004,00:29)]
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (formigo @ June 03 2004,00:11)]Question 1:

supremes?
        A Motown classic.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ June 03 2004,03:47)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (formigo @ June 03 2004,00:11)]Okay, let's discuss this now.
          mate, if you were more of a rugby boffin we could discuss the AB's trial and the spanking they'll be giving to the Pom's saturday week - there must be at least one vulture who has that one in their diary!!
          Can I just say for you poor deluded Kiwis that only toffs and taffs play rugby here. The rest of us don't give a shit.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 03 2004,09:26)]Can I just say for you poor deluded Kiwis that only toffs and taffs play rugby here. The rest of us don't give a shit.  
            So what does that make me, young William?

Whoops poop twiddlee dee, there goes another grass cutting 'shot' through David James' legs.

How funny it is to see the George Cross flying everywhere, knowing that footballing failure is but a few weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Belson @ June 03 2004,09:40)]So what does that make me, young William?
              misguided
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

! ! !

it was funny how the pub was empty on Tuesday night for the England v Japan match, but all the "supporters" will be turning out in thousands next weekend once the "proper football" starts...
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (theeman @ June 03 2004,10:09)]misguided
                  Haha,

One look at the team sheet for Euro 2004 reveals who the misguided really are. A Nation resigned to defeat by France already in the first game......class!

If only there was as much player pride in the 3 Lions as there is in the English Rose.

There's misguided for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Belson @ June 03 2004,11:03)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (theeman @ June 03 2004,10:09)]misguided
                    Haha,

One look at the team sheet for Euro 2004 reveals who the misguided really are. A Nation resigned to defeat by France already in the first game......class!

If only there was as much player pride in the 3 Lions as there is in the English Rose.

There's misguided for ya.
                    Listen, I've travelled all over Europe watching England play, but ultimately I don't actually care that much about them anymore. Yet look at the reaction to England winning the Rugby World Cup. I've seen more enthusiasm for Grimsby winning the Fourth Division.

I love football. Football is a simple, yet brilliant, game that anyone can play, anywhere. It's democratic. That's why it's massive all over the world (let's not even start on the Yanks and their daft 'sports&#39.

Rugby, on the other hand, is shit.

Comment

What was the question again?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 03 2004,11:27)]I love football.

personally I don't see much point in either of them - I just wish someone would hurry up and build another Wembley stadium so that Bristol isn't full of pissed-up sports fans every time there's a game at the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff (which seems to be every other weekend). Can't book hotels for anyone 'cos they're full of Millwall fans, can't go anywhere in the centre of town, can't even get a taxi....
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

You say debbie can't sing? Don't know about singing, but when she spouts out "Jumping music, slick deejays, fog machines and laser rays" I wet myself every time. Unfortunately can't help you with his beatsmith thoug. helpful, me.
                          er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 03 2004,11:27)]Listen, I've travelled all over Europe watching England play, but ultimately I don't actually care that much about them anymore. Yet look at the reaction to England winning the Rugby World Cup. I've seen more enthusiasm for Grimsby winning the Fourth Division.

I love football. Football is a simple, yet brilliant, game that anyone can play, anywhere. It's democratic. That's why it's massive all over the world (let's not even start on the Yanks and their daft 'sports&#39.

Okley dokely - yeah the reaction on England RFU being crowned the World Champions in a different sport still played in both hemispheres was a tad disappointing. Typically English though - who gives a shit because it's not a *proper* sport. Oh sorry, it wasn't the 'beautiful' game. Insert your own permutations about the game here.

Football may be democratic, but it's a shadow of it's former self, in all aspects of the game. I'm sure people will love football as much as the next man - we're still shit at it, and it's embarrasing that we have multi-millionaire earners representing England, when they clearly don't give a shizzle. Rugby on the other hand, has a few more rules to grasp. I can see why your average football supporter wouldn't be able to handle the overall concept.

Roll on Euro 2004 - I used to like going to the Comedy Store for a good laugh. Looks like I can have one in front of my telly instead!

Oh yeah - soz about the thread hijack.

Supremes.........Motown...........etc

Comment

What's a good price for the Gloria Jones 45? One of those things I just never get around to buying. And it's odd that I want it at all given how much I loathe the Soft Cell version (which is in the same basket as 'Sit Down' by James for me).
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X