Northern soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern soul

are there any good northern soul comps I should check out? i'm interested in hearing more but don't know where to start, I figure a good comp should sort me out. recommendations? links? I checked the main vinyl vulture page but couldn't find anything....i'm blind .

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mech1 @ June 03 2004,06:09)]are there any good northern soul comps I should check out? i'm interested in hearing more but don't know where to start, I figure a good comp should sort me out. recommendations? links? I checked the main vinyl vulture page but couldn't find anything....i'm blind   .
    any of the early Kent/Ace releases are always a good starting block.

the Goldmine Soul Supply series are nicely priced & widely available too.

there's loads of cheap CD comps out there nowadays but be aware that many are total shite relying on one or two quality tunes to cover a dirge of slag
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

i really like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000B7Q5/ , but you can get it much cheaper - mine was 5 quid in HMV

Comment

My favourite is the Cleethorpes Story on Goldmine (and I&#39;m not just saying this as some sort of demented regional pride). If you like funky records -- and let&#39;s face it funky is regarded as a term of abuse by many on the northern scene -- then the Cleethorpes Story is a good place to start. It&#39;s a bit more disco, a bit more funky and a bit less frenetic.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]...and let&#39;s face it &quot;funky&quot; is regarded as a term of abuse by many on the northern scene...
          ...isn&#39;t it just &#33;  

&quot;...i can&#39;t dance to THAT &#33;...&quot;    
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Question - what are your fave &quot;northern&quot; singles that are truly two-sided...? ? ? if you catch my drift...

Allow me to explain... what are your fave 45&#39;s that have a smashing soul track/ballad one one side (that one might label &#39;northern&#39 and a very funky track (perhaps instrumental) on the flip... ? ? ?

Me, at the mo - my two Soul Toronadoes 45&#39;s on Atlantic.

juss innerested...
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ June 03 2004,12:38)]Question - what are your fave &quot;northern&quot; singles that are truly two-sided...? ? ? if you catch my drift...

Allow me to explain... what are your fave 45&#39;s that have a smashing soul track/ballad one one side (that one might label &#39;northern&#39 and a very funky track (perhaps instrumental) on the flip... ? ? ?

Me, at the mo - my two Soul Toronadoes 45&#39;s on Atlantic.

juss innerested...
              Do you mean the TSU Toronados? Or are there Soul Toronados ones on Atlantic as well?
              Endless Tripe

Comment

Sorry... that&#39;s TSU Toronadoes...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ June 03 2004,12:45)]  

Sorry... that&#39;s TSU Toronadoes...

Great group. There&#39;s a nice little piece on them here:

http://www.geocities.com/solidhit/tsutoronados.html
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Gene Faith &#39;Family Man&#39;/&#39;My Baby&#39;s Missing&#39; (Virtue)
                    Willie Gresham And The Free Food Ticket &#39;Step By Step&#39;/&#39;I Cried Boo Hoo&#39; (Majestic)
                    Freda Payne &#39;Band Of Gold&#39;/&#39;Easiest Way To Fall&#39; (Invictus) (Although I guess &#39;Band Of Gold&#39; in itself is just more energetic rather than funky).

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

thanks for the recommendations. I&#39;m gonna see if I can find this stuff here in the US, if all else fails then i&#39;ll order from Amazon UK.

Comment

actually, I just found some northern soul stuff through Dusty Groove, are there any from this list that you would recommend?

Comment

Working...
                        X