Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God  love being on holiday - the uk jazz issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God  love being on holiday - the uk jazz issue!

Had a good day today:

Fiachra Trench - Organ Time - Major Minor LP with some groovy mod covers.

The Sound of Feeling - Spleen - In amongst the Des was this folk funk beauty...HOW????? The track Along Came Sam is awesome!

Johnny Howard - The World of - Great versions of Light my Fire, Ode to Billy Joe and more - Double

Roger Webb - Film Music - Not seen this Studio 2 LP before, has a version of Enter the Dragon.

Barny Kessel - Hair is Beautiful - Jazz guitarist Kessel has a crack.

Synthetic Sounds - Moog at the Movies - Versions of Superfly and Shaft amongst other things.

Hot City Bump band - Come Together - Found a copy of this in Sydney about 5 years back, now find one in a SE London Charity?? Great covers Lp, Come Together, It's Just begun, Mighty Mighty etc - Double

Fausto papetti - Sexy Slow with Tina - Spleesch is the track on here. - Double

Fausto Papetti - Sexy Slow with Jessica - Meeting is the stand out here.

Blue Mitchell - Graffiti Blues, Great funky jazz LP.

Sivuca - S/T - Aint no Sunshine, best version, Discuss?

Capes and Masks - Comic Book Hereos - Really cool little lp, spoken word and groovy jazz

New York Mary - A Piece of the Apple - Funky jazz with Breaks

Jayson Lindh - S/T - Raggie is the best track on here - Double

Jimmy Jewel - from the First Time I met you - UK Jazz Funk

Max Greger - In the Night - Big Train is the track - Double

John Keating - Space Experience Quad - I feel the earth Move, etc - Double

Albert van dam + Orch - The Crazy horse Saloon - Couple of groovy jazz numbers on here - Double

Chiyo Okumura - The Sexiest Voice in Japan - Someone here or on Soulstrut just charted this, then one pops up.

Percy faith - JCS - Great LP, one of the best - Double

And Now to the Jazz.....

Was in a proper record shop today, give you a clue, biggest in Europe apparently?? saw a couple of UK Jazz bits behind the counter which they had literally just bought, after a bit of bargaining managed to get them at £40 each. Still spent a wedge but think I got a bargain. I never see these LP's!

Graham Collier - Deep Dark Blue Centre

Michael garrick - Home Stretch blues

Graham Collier - Songs for my Father

Michael Gibbs - S/T

Michael Garrick - Troppo

Any one any idea of market value for these at the moment??

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ June 03 2004,18:14)]Michael garrick - Home Stretch blues
    one of my favourites - I paid £50 and was well happy. What a great LP - Norma Winstone is amazing on here.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Totally agree on the Sound of Feeling, well cool. What a find!
      The Graham Collier Deep Dark Blue Centre is MEGA, Ive got a RI "Crumbling Cookie" is great as are most of those finds. Bastard!!!

My sum total: Pacific Eardrum LP on Charisma (Man of Mystery) (Joy Yates on vox) & a RI of May Blitz (Rare vertigo swirl, not checked it out yet)

My fave version of Ain't no Sunshine is one off a live Jose Feliciano LP & Gregory James Edition one. Not feeling Sivuca's but did used to like it.
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

You find a spleen! Argh you spawny c**t!
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ June 03 2004,18:14)]Had a good day today:

Fiachra Trench - Organ Time - Major Minor LP with some groovy mod covers.

The Sound of Feeling - Spleen - In amongst the Des was this folk funk beauty...HOW????? The track Along Came Sam is awesome&#33;

Johnny Howard - The World of - Great versions of Light my Fire, Ode to Billy Joe and more - Double

Roger Webb - Film Music - Not seen this Studio 2 LP before, has a version of Enter the Dragon.

Barny Kessel - Hair is Beautiful - Jazz guitarist Kessel has a crack.

Synthetic Sounds - Moog at the Movies - Versions of Superfly and Shaft amongst other things.

Hot City Bump band - Come Together - Found a copy of this in Sydney about 5 years back, now find one in a SE London Charity?? Great covers Lp, Come Together, It&#39;s Just begun, Mighty Mighty etc - Double

Fausto papetti - Sexy Slow with Tina - Spleesch is the track on here. - Double

Fausto Papetti - Sexy Slow with Jessica - Meeting is the stand out here.

Blue Mitchell - Graffiti Blues, Great funky jazz LP.

Sivuca - S/T - Aint no Sunshine, best version, Discuss?

Capes and Masks - Comic Book Hereos - Really cool little lp, spoken word and groovy jazz

New York Mary - A Piece of the Apple - Funky jazz with Breaks

Jayson Lindh - S/T - Raggie is the best track on here - Double

Jimmy Jewel - from the First Time I met you - UK Jazz Funk

Max Greger - In the Night - Big Train is the track - Double

John Keating - Space Experience Quad - I feel the earth Move, etc - Double

Albert van dam + Orch - The Crazy horse Saloon - Couple of groovy jazz numbers on here - Double

Chiyo Okumura - The Sexiest Voice in Japan - Someone here or on Soulstrut just charted this, then one pops up.

Percy faith - JCS - Great LP, one of the best - Double

And Now to the Jazz.....

Was in a proper record shop today, give you a clue, biggest in Europe apparently?? saw a couple of UK Jazz bits behind the counter which they had literally just bought, after a bit of bargaining managed to get them at £40 each. Still spent a wedge but think I got a bargain. I never see these LP&#39;s&#33;

Graham Collier - Deep Dark Blue Centre

Michael garrick - Home Stretch blues

Graham Collier - Songs for my Father

Michael Gibbs - S/T

Michael Garrick  - Troppo

Any one any idea of market value for these at the moment??
          That Michael Gibbs Deram LP is f**king brilliant&#33; Extremely rare, never ever turns up. The ONLY one I&#39;ve ever seen was £75 and that was a while back.

It has some great jazz-rock tracks on it - Mike Gibbs really was a master at this style.

IMHO, British jazz-rock LPs like these are so much harder to turn up than even the best libraries - probably because they sold bugger all at the time of release&#33;
          A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Roger Webb - Film Music - Not seen this Studio 2 LP before, has a version of Enter the Dragon.
            Aaaah but &quot;The Sting&quot; is THE track on that one.

Another lovely haul sir&#33;
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Is the Mike Gibbs on Deram the same one who worked with Bill Oddie on The Goodies soundtracks?

I know where I can get a spare of the Roger Webb if anyone needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ June 03 2004,19:56)]Totally agree on the Sound of Feeling, well cool. What a find&#33;
                The Graham Collier Deep Dark Blue Centre is MEGA, Ive got a RI &quot;Crumbling Cookie&quot; is great as are most of those finds. Bastard&#33;&#33;&#33;

My sum total: Pacific Eardrum LP on Charisma (Man of Mystery) (Joy Yates on vox) &amp; a RI of May Blitz (Rare vertigo swirl, not checked it out yet)

My fave version of Ain&#39;t no Sunshine is one off a live Jose Feliciano LP &amp; Gregory James Edition one. Not feeling Sivuca&#39;s but did used to like it.
                Forgot about the Gregory James Edition, you&#39;re right, that is good&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 03 2004,20:33)]You find a spleen&#33; Argh you spawny c**t&#33;
                  Cheers Sermad, you&#39;re such a sweety&#33;&#33; Are you able to come along to Smersh tomorrow night??

Comment

I have a spre of the Spleen LP comin&#39; my way, possible trades.
                    My man Andy Votel copped the &#39;Along came Sam&#39; 45 recently, nearly fell over&#33; what the hell is that doing on a 45?? Their LP on Verve also has it&#39;s moments, more of a jazzy vien ala Novi singers.

Really want that M Gibbs LP, (mental note.) Re: prices? The Garrick LP&#39;s tend to hold their price, a ton I would guess?

Any one drop a little knowledge on Hymms a Swinging, it&#39;s one that I never seen nor no nowt about, other that Tubby Hayes is on it &amp; it&#39;s a vv staple.
                    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Hymns a swingin is a vv holy grail. A local guy found a copy at the nearest charity and then sold it on ebay before telling me&#33; Got my goat that did&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ June 04 2004,00:16)]Any one drop a little knowledge on Hymms a Swinging, it&#39;s one that I never seen nor no nowt about, other that Tubby Hayes is on it &amp; it&#39;s a vv staple.
                        starting to show up on dealers lists (ok, mark res) at around the ton mark, most probably due to VV and Trunk breaking it into the open

also seen a certain deep pocketed eBayer - a regular VV discussion topic - pay a similar amount on eBay

to pick up on an unrelated thread (i think ben posed the question), this one&#39;s my mission to find during my virgin booting season.. wish me luck&#33;

no idea how *rare* it actually is though

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ June 04 2004,00:16)]I have a spre of the Spleen LP comin&#39; my way, possible trades.
                          My man Andy Votel copped the &#39;Along came Sam&#39; 45 recently, nearly fell over&#33; what the hell is that doing on a 45?? Their LP on Verve also has it&#39;s moments, more of a jazzy vien ala Novi singers.

Really want that M Gibbs LP, (mental note.) Re: prices? The Garrick LP&#39;s tend to hold their price, a ton I would guess?

Any one drop a little knowledge on Hymms a Swinging, it&#39;s one that I never seen nor no nowt about, other that Tubby Hayes is on it &amp; it&#39;s a vv staple.
                          there&#39;s a Spleen 45 from the Verve LP as well...

the Michael Gibbs seems a lot easier to turn up on US - I got a mint one off the bay last year for about &#036;25 without too much effort. I think a ton is probably about right for the Garricks. I&#39;ve been talking to a UK jazz fan who&#39;s up for shifting some of his collection if the price is right - so far all I&#39;ve picked up is a copy of the Norma Winstone on Argo (been looking for years...) and a nice minty &#39;Citadel 315&#39;, but I&#39;m working on his John Camerons....

&#39;Hymns a Swinging&#39; is on the legendary DavJon label (I&#39;m guessing the owners were called David and John) - home of the equally rare but not so desirable &#39;Holiday Spanish&#39; LP

Comment

Its always been pricey due to the tubby hayes connection. Seen it peak it £70+ but I reckon £40 is a good dealer price.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 04 2004,00:47)]Its always been pricey due to the tubby hayes connection. Seen it peak it £70+ but I reckon £40 is a good dealer price.
                              let me know if you see any copies for £40, Sermad - I&#39;ll buy them and move them on&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X