Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds

On my travels today (Saturday) I found the following -

Billy Cobham - 'Crosswinds' (The title track is a killer - sounds to me like this is the track Brian Bennet got the inspiration from to compose 'The Investigator&#39

Ralph Nowy - 'Nowy II' (Wicked German only funk lp from '75 w/loadsa library style smal group funk)

Julie Driscoll & Brian Auger - 'Open' (Many thanks to the VV massive for the heads-up on this one)

Herbie Hancock - 'Headhunters' (Finally got a minty OG UK issue of this classic)

Wade Marcus - 'Metamorphosis' (Lovely orchestral funk on ABC from '76)

Jaco Pastorius (Can't remember the title but it's from 1983 and I know it'll be good simply because its Jaco)

How about the rest of you...
    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

I found a copy of Paddy Kingsland 'supercharged'. I don't know how this ended up in a small shop in Oslo. But it's a great record! I guess it's a pricey record?

and I found:
    Orgeon -music from the past era -Vanguard Records
    Nice eastern sitar-jazz with western influences.

Los marachuos (or something) -s/t  -funky bossa jazz
    Found out that it has only been pressed 500 copies.

Vince Hill -'Mandy' Arranged by Keith Mansfield 1975. I really like this record! A couple of nice soul covers.

Comment

Best find this weekend wasn’t a record at all, but a vintage, fully operational Aldis SN 12 slide projector, still with box, instructions and ‘chosen by The Design Council’ tag, in a box with several hundred slides covering the holidays, outings, wedding, funerals etc of a local family between 1965 – 1978. It’s like having a non-linear period soap opera directed by Martin Parr to piece together, and cost me a fiver for the whole lot. Just fascinating stuff – and whoever he was, the one with the camera actually had a pretty good eye for composition, lighting etc. Anyway, while checking out the slides (and between trips to sort out the allotment) I also had these to listen to…

Gunter Kallmann Chorus: One In Each Life (Polydor) [Brilliant sunshine pop set, featuring ‘Feelin’ Groovy’, ‘Windmills Of Your Mind’, ‘Aquarius’ etc, as variously arranged by Nick Ingman, Mike Vickers & Johnny Arthey…]

John Dankworth: …And His Music (Fontana) [very nice jazz set – side one based on paintings by Klee, Mondrian etc, side 2 based on scenes and characters from Dickens. All sounds pretty good to me, though…]

4 Channels, 35mm – The Soul Of Hawaii (Cameo Parkway) [OK, I’m partial to a bit of twang, a bit of jazz and a bit of exotica, and this anonymous 1962 job combines all 3 in one place: sounds like The Ventures trying to play Hawaiian standards in the style of Django Reinhardt or something…]

The Provocative Strings Of Zacharias: Pop Goes Baroque (RCA Victor) [OK, it’s early - 1966 - and it’s that man Helmut pre-electrification, but apart from some very nice harpsichord, strings etc there’s also some surprisingly spirited Hammond freak-outs on the likes of ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’ and ‘Downtown’…]

The Hobos: ‘…Play The Beatles’ (Contour) [pretty much exact photocopies of the originals, so not much point to it really, is there? Very respectable photocopies, to be fair, but still…]

Night Train & Mark 4 Brass & Saxes: The Golden Hits Of Soul (Allegro) [1968 soul covers set – all the usuals (Respect, Land Of 1000 Dances, Knock On Wood etc) done in a very straight TOTP LP style…not bad, but nothing I've noticed to write home about either]

The Stampeders: Sweet City Woman (Bell) [competent but derivative Byrds style country rock set, which nevertheless manages to spring one very pleasant surprise in the great Country Funk cut ‘Gator Road’, which can be highly recommended to all. Now why didn’t they do the whole LP like that, eh?]

Pigbag: Sunny Day/Whoops Goes My Body/Elephants Wish To Become Nimble (Y Records 12”)

Pigbag: Getting Up/Giggling Mud/Go Cat (Y Records 12”)

Shame to have missed Sie in Rob’s as well…hope you got plenty of          and not too much of the leery Notts saturday night in slab square 'tude...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]I found a copy of Paddy Kingsland 'supercharged'. I don't know how this ended up in a small shop in Oslo.:laugh: But it's a great record! I guess it's a pricey record?
        Not sure about price but it certainly doesn't turn up much. I really really like it and I was lusting after the 45 of 'Wobulater Rock' which was on the 'bay recently - bit out of my price range in the end though.

This weekend I got a large pile of soul and funk 45's, an lp by Brethren, a sleeveless copy of the 1st Battered Ornaments lp and the Tarantula lp amongst other chuff.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

What is the first battered ornaments like mate? Its the red sleeved one I think.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Picked up some tasty 45s from a single table at an otherwise crap carboot yesterday:
            HOWARD ROBERTS - Fred/Girls Of Spain - theme from an Astaire one-off show - nice sleazy organ
            MITCH MURRAY CLAN - Cherokee/Skyliner - dir by Alan Tew
            BOB SEGER/LAST HEARD - Chain Smokin/Persucution Smith - cool blue-eyed dance gubbins
            MANDINGO - Black Rite/Medicine Man - VV necessity
            HEAVY METAL KIDS - Ain&#39;t Nothing But A House Party/Got Me Rollin - heavy geezer-rawk hammond version
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Funky Tee @ June 07 2004,09:06)]I found a copy of Paddy Kingsland &#39;supercharged&#39;. I don&#39;t know how this ended up in a small shop in Oslo.:laugh: But it&#39;s a great record&#33; I guess it&#39;s a pricey record?
              I just sold a copy for £50 on ebay. I&#39;d not seen one sell before so I had no idea what it would go for. Radiophonic stuff is all very sought after though. Largely because it&#39;s all so damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (LDJB @ June 07 2004,09:29)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]I found a copy of Paddy Kingsland &#39;supercharged&#39;. I don&#39;t know how this ended up in a small shop in Oslo.:laugh: But it&#39;s a great record&#33; I guess it&#39;s a pricey record?
                Not sure about price but it certainly doesn&#39;t turn up much. I really really like it and I was lusting after the 45 of &#39;Wobulater Rock&#39; which was on the &#39;bay recently - bit out of my price range in the end though.
                Definitely very scarce. Weird how so many VV&#39;s have found copies recently. That was me selling the 45 too though you would have known that, Lee. I think that&#39;s promo only. Maybe someone knows for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]What is the first battered ornaments like mate? Its the red sleeved one I think.
                  About 3 really good tracks and the rest is...erm...interesting. It was quite funny actually &#39;cos I got the sleeveless copy from a lady at one stall for 50p and then came across a sleeved but absolutely tanned copy about two stalls along and the bloke want £60 for it - despite the fact it was pretty much unplayable.

&#39;Mantle-piece&#39; is better though.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]That was me selling the 45 too though you would have known that
                    Yes mate I did - I&#39;m actually lusting after an LP you&#39;re selling at the mo&#39; - reckon it&#39;ll get too rich for me agian though - can you guess which one?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (LDJB @ June 07 2004,09:44)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]That was me selling the 45 too though you would have known that
                      Yes mate I did - I&#39;m actually lusting after an LP you&#39;re selling at the mo&#39; - reckon it&#39;ll get too rich for me agian though - can you guess which one?
                      Gotta be &#39;Soft Rock&#39;.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Shame to have missed Sie in Rob&amp;#8217;s as well&amp;#8230;hope you got plenty of and not too much of the leery Notts saturday night in slab square &#39;tude...
                        Yeah, I second that. Another great advert for Nottingham on last night&#39;s Panorama&#33; Honestly, it&#39;s not all pissed up slappers and scuffling Ralphie boys and chavs&#33;&#33;

Anyway, I take back what I said last week about charity shops being piss poor and car boots being the way forward, this week saw complete role reversal.

Again, almost all LPs with one 12&quot;:
                        (Haven&#39;t listened to anything yet though)

12&quot;
                        DJ Shadow - High Noon

LPs
                        Dudley Moore Trio - Genuine Dud (bit early period for my taste, but at the price I can punt it on)

City Boy - S/T (have a feeling this will be bad pop/rock, but it&#39;s on Vertigo and I always chance my arm with Vertigo...and Rare Earth...and Kama Sutra...and Cadet....etc)

Sight &amp; Sound Orchestra - Movie Themes of Today (perennially popular &#39;Fragment of Fear&#39; and &#39;Woodstock&#39; psych-outs)

Reader&#39;s Digest - Made In Britain (2 copies, could have had 3 but had to draw a line somewhere&#33

Alan Tew Orchestra - Rosie (again, looks a bit early, but at 50p, worth a try)

Mystic Moods Orchestra - Emotions (ditto, but there&#39;s a couple of covers of decent tunes by Donovan, Beatles etc, so I&#39;m hopeful)

Danny Street - Sings Love Songs of Today (looks naff, but is on Rediffusion and produced by Alan Moorhouse, so we&#39;ll see)

Len Hunter Collection - Swing Gently With Strauss (can&#39;t remember if I&#39;ve had this before, but it was part of a job lot so worth a crack)

Fairport Convention - Liege &amp; Lief (never heard it, but it&#39;s been recommended within these here pages and if I don&#39;t like it, another I&#39;ll be able to trade down the market)

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo&#39;s Factory (ditto)

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key of Life (mint condition, with 7&quot; and booklet and less than 50p, one to give to a mate as I&#39;m fully Stevie-d up)

Blind Faith - S/T (again, I can trade this down the market for stuff that&#39;s more my kinda thing if it doesn&#39;t impress me)

Denny Wright - Non-stop Pepsi Party (again, part of the job lot)

The Young Idea - With A Little Help From My Friends (once more, the kind of thing the chap down the market takes off me in exchange for e.g. library LPs)

Power and the Glory - Sing 12 Rock and Gospel Hits (charity shop staple, but I can always use it to put on eBay for the &#39;Jesus&#39; break)

Pete Moore Orchestra - The Award Winners (looks a bit dry, but it&#39;s Pete Moore, so you can&#39;t leave it gathering dust&#33

The Valiant Orchestra - S/T (had a copy of this ages ago, gave it away, regretted it and am pleased to see it once more)

Alan Haven - Organ Show (had this recently, punted on here didn&#39;t I? &#39;Caravan&#39; is alright, but I&#39;d imagine this will be punted once more to a VV)

Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds (again, not really my cuppa, but 50p is a price which I can&#39;t quibble with)

So, my next Freebies thread is looming&#33;&#33; And I&#39;ll also be able to do some decent trading with my man on Grantham market.

Or will I actually love and cherish some of these puppies?&#33;
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]Gotta be &#39;Soft Rock&#39;
                          Bang on&#33;

Comment

my finds this weekend -

LPs
                            The Living Theatre - paradise now. (real rare swiss private recording of this cult troup).

the greatest show on earth - horizons (guess you all know this, not bad funky prog)

Paul Dunlap - sounds of now ( amazing organ prog on Berry - who is he?)

Larry Young - unity (nice stereo orig blue note - the lady said &quot;i&#39;ve got hundreds of jazz lps - mostly Blue note at home if you&#39;re interested&quot; took her number)

James Moody quintet -  in paris (10&quot; vogue)

Serge Chaloff - new stars/new sounds (10&quot; vogue)

Dizzy Gillespie - plays in paris (10&quot; vogue)

Hank Jones - a date with (10&quot; vogue)

Don Byas - et ses rythmes (10&quot; riviera)

Ben y su tropical rhythm kings (10&quot; on pasific of early mambo &amp; cha cha - great stuff)

McCoy Tyner - the real McCoy (nuther stereo Blue note from the same lady)

Cleo Laine - shakespeare and all that jazz (with J. Dankworth - not bad, i got a spare of this)

i&#39;ll stop there..
                            http://www.iueke.com/

Comment

Christine McVie - The Legendary Christine Perfect Album
                              wayne talbert - lord have mercy on my funky soul
                              moms apple pie - 2
                              graham sentral station - S/T
                              daimi - da verden ble veak
                              el chicano - barettas theme

Comment

Working...
                              X