Rare earth records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare earth records

I know about Rare Earth stuff....and Power of Zeus, even though I'll probably never own it...and Crystal Mansion and Poor Boys and Howl The Good and Stoney & Meatloaf... Any others worth checking out?
    http://www.djhistory.com

Check Brass Monkey out if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (buddah @ June 05 2004,18:30)]Check Brass Monkey out if you can.
      Is that a group or song?

Comment

Have you got the rare earth record on verve?

Is this a 'name some good funky rock' question?
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 05 2004,18:56)]Have you got the rare earth record on verve?

Is this a &#39;name some good funky rock&#39; question?
          The group Rare Earth put something out on Verve??

No, I seem to have accumulated a few LPs on the Rare Earth label lately, and they&#39;ve all had stuff on them I&#39;ve liked. I just wondered whether the label was as consistent as my purchases have suggested. I know they put out stuff like Pretty Things in the US, but I still don&#39;t know much about other groups (other than ones mentioned on inner sleeves of ones I own already).

Comment

despite the brassss, i&#39;m feelin&#39; &#39;faith&#39; (under either moniker)
            kraut rock ist nicht tot!
            http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
            http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 05 2004,18:39)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (buddah @ June 05 2004,18:30)]Check Brass Monkey out if you can.
              Is that a group or song?
              The group is Brass Monkey and i think the album does not have a title, although in the cover - that features (you guessed it - a brass monkey) the song list is featured and &quot;Sweet Water&quot; is highlited in a different colour. The album is from 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 05 2004,19:12)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 05 2004,18:56)]Have you got the rare earth record on verve?

No, I seem to have accumulated a few LPs on the Rare Earth label lately, and they&#39;ve all had stuff on them I&#39;ve liked. I just wondered whether the label was as consistent as my purchases have suggested. I know they put out stuff like Pretty Things in the US, but I still don&#39;t know much about other groups (other than ones mentioned on inner sleeves of ones I own already).
                Yup. The rare Earth album on Verve is Dreams and Answers produced, arranged and conducted by Mike Theodore and Dennis Coffey&#33;

Comment

No date on my Verve rare Earth album but i&#39;m guessing 68. Pretty psiched out, even including some readings of Edgar Allan Poe stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (buddah @ June 05 2004,19:22)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Originally posted by [b

Yup. The rare Earth album on Verve is Dreams and Answers produced, arranged and conducted by Mike Theodore and Dennis Coffey&#33;
                    That&#39;s a worrying production combination, if you ask me. They&#39;re wildly inconstent, with a lot of naff disco stuff under their belt. What&#39;s it like?

Thanks for the info on Brass Monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ June 05 2004,19:25)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (buddah @ June 05 2004,19:22)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Originally posted by [b

That&#39;s a worrying production combination, if you ask me. They&#39;re wildly inconstent, with a lot of naff disco stuff under their belt. What&#39;s it like?

Thanks for the info on Brass Monkey.
                      Drums upfront, covers of soul songs (Stop/Where Did Our Heart Go, Get Ready, Searchin&#39, brassy at spots, intros featuring moog, really good scratch guitar moments. I really rate this album... no signs of naff disco, although a couple of numbers feature strings.

Comment

The Rare Earth record on verve did come out in 1968,
                        Rustix are a pretty groovy rock band there come on people (which is a good listen all the way through, my personal faves are the title track and &#39;hey mose&#39 LP on rare earth is produced by R Dean Taylor who also plays piano and the band recorded on Cadet before that.
                        Also worth checking out are the sunday funnies whose LP with &#39;walk down the path of freedom&#39; and &#39;crack in a bell&#39;
                        Check http://www.bsnpubs.com/rareearth.html for much more details.
                        I have a phd in motown and thats the undisputed truth....
                        there only noodles michael...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (BONBON @ June 05 2004,20:29)]The Rare Earth record on verve did come out in 1968,
                          Rustix are a pretty groovy rock band there come on people (which is a good listen all the way through, my personal faves are the title track and &#39;hey mose&#39 LP on rare earth is produced by R Dean Taylor who also plays piano and the band recorded on Cadet before that.
                          Also worth checking out are the sunday funnies whose LP with &#39;walk down the path of freedom&#39; and &#39;crack in a bell&#39;
                          Check http://www.bsnpubs.com/rareearth.html for much more details.
                          I have a phd in motown and thats the undisputed truth....
                          Yeah... i also have that sunday funnies record. Cartoons on the cover right? I was forgetting about that one...

Comment

I love Rare Earth - the band and the label.

Impact of Brass - Down at the Brass Works is a good one - soul covers in a funky rock style with the occasional Sitar. The second Sunday Funnies LP - Benediction I think - has a couple of good &#39;uns too. Also the Sounds Nice LP came out on Rare Earth too and is usually much easier to get and cheaper than the Parlophone copy.
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

The Rare Earth album on Verve is their debut, before Motown picked em up. Excellent cover of &#39;6345789&#39; on there.

Concur on the Rustix as well. Probably the most whacked out cover of &#39;Hard to handle&#39; you&#39;re ever likely to hear. I charted this a while back, and the lead vocalist emailed me giving me props for keeping his music alive. Nice.

Matrix is worthy of picking up, but only for cheap - it&#39;s a one tracker, really. The God Squad is an interesting pick. A cover version of Wade in the Water, which is quite cool, as well as an OK version of Superstar. Features the lead guitarist and percussionist from Sod.

One I&#39;ve kept under my hat for a while, mainly because it never seems to turn up (possibly a low quantity pressed) is the self titled album by Denis Stoner. Very folky, and a great version of &#39;Southern Man&#39;.

And of course, Toe Fat. Certainly their first self titled album is well worth the get.

Comment

Working...
                              X