vibraphone funk track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibraphone funk track

you'll have to forgive me if this is obvious, but i bought an album by alan randall - the souvenir album and theres an awesome funky track called work song on it, the writing credit is nat adderley, i wondered if anyone new who nat adderley is or was?, there's also a version of the michael parkinson theme on it.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Cannonball's brother and renowned player in his own right. See AMG for more.

It's always worth picking up versions of Work Song. My favourite is Jose Feliciano's...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

hooray for Jose!
      saw him at the Jazz Cafe a few months ago - excellent show, except for a really noisy audience - why pay 18 quid for a ticket and then talk incessantly through it???
      (on the subject of Jose, there's a Hairy Diamond 7" out now which loops 'You're Taking Hold Of Me' quite nicely)

re: Work Song - absolutely ace tune. the other 'big' song that came from the early Adderley Quintet was 'Mercy Mercy Mercy' - lots of good covers of that too

Comment

nice one guys, thought it might have something to do with cannonball.

Comment

can you tell me more about this album? Google isn't turning anything up on Alan Randall...

Comment

Veris (hi chris-big cheers for Stilletto!!!) played me the Alan Randal LP a while back...Work Song is killer...apparently the LP was given away at his 'end of the peer' shows...for those old enough to remember 'the good old days' on the telly, he was regularly on doing George Formby impressions...but he also played vibes...

Comment

Hi Bongolia, here goes with the info, the title is the alan randell souvenir album, the year is 1979, it's a private pressing, side 1 is all ukulele banjo & not worth listening to, but side 2 to is all vibraphone & it's great, track listing is work song, sonny boy, abide with me, michael parkinson theme & goodybye yellow brick road thats all i know about it, as i said to sie vulture, i bought this by chance when i bought a record box from a car boot & the records in the box came with the deal, it nearly went to the charity shop but luckily i played it first

Comment

ahh, so the George Formby stuff Google was returning *was* the right bloke...

Comment

theres an alan randall lp on ebay at the moment, it's not the vibraphone one, it's alan randall sings great war songs, dads army etc wouldn't mind that, but i'm not paying a fiver for it!

Comment

Nat Adderly was a straight ahead jazz corentist, bruhthuh of Cannonball Adderly. Recorded primarily for EMARCY, but did record with Cannonball on a few of his killer rekkids on Capitol in the early 1970's, on I THINK Soul of the Bible and for sure on SOUL ZODIAC or Soul of The Zodiac (MONSTER PSYCH LP) created, conceived and with spoken word by RICK HOLMES.

That double LP also features monster killer psych guitar by MIKE DEASY, renowned session/studio guitarist.

Soul Zodiac or Soul of the Zodiac, whatever it's called is a KILLER. Get it now

Jack

Comment

</span>
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Jack on 7:03 pm on April 10, 2003

Jack
                      <span =''>

I'ld take 'Soul of the bible' over that one any time - 'Space spiritual' is just sublime - one of those tracks that get's overlooked IMO.

Comment

jose feliciano gets pretty funky on that 'Angela' LP (actually the OST to the blax flick 'Aaron Loves Angela' - so expect drums, wah, fat bass... quite a surprise!)
                        http://www.blaxploitation.com
                        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

</span>
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]Quote: from bongolia on 12:17 pm on April 10, 2003

(on the subject of Jose, there's a Hairy Diamond 7&quot; out now which loops 'You're Taking Hold Of Me' quite nicely)
                          <span =''>

Hey

do you people know of any other people sampling You're Taking Hold of Me?

I did a track about three months ago that samples that... ####!

Comment

</span>
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from buddah on 10:28 am on April 11, 2003
                            Hey

do you people know of any other people sampling You're Taking Hold of Me?

I did a track about three months ago that samples that... ####!
                            <span =''>

I got a copy of Bag of Soul from Juliano years ago - I wouldn't be surprised if he's had his creative mits all over it.

Comment

</span>
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Jack on 7:03 pm on April 10, 2003
                              killer rekkids on Capitol in the early 1970's, SOUL ZODIAC or Soul of The Zodiac (MONSTER PSYCH LP) created, conceived and with spoken word by RICK HOLMES.

That double LP also features monster killer psych guitar by MIKE DEASY, renowned session/studio guitarist.

Jack
                              <span =''>

Just out of interest, is there any difference between 'Soul Zodiac' on Capitol and 'Love, Sex and the Zodiac' by Cannonball Adderley on Fantasy?

Both feature narration by Rick Holmes as far as I can see. Are the tracks different? I only have the Fantasy issue of the two and I am curious...
                              He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Working...
                              X