Please tell me it's an addiction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me it's an addiction!

Just picking up on the last thread re: sections of collections, what is it with you crazy James Last dudes. (Hope I dont offend any one here) If its a compulsive thing then I can dig it, but do you listen to them LP's?? His Hair is good, Voodoo Party OK / so so. One Battacada on Beach Party!
    The rest is tosh, or am I wrong?
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Yes, I must admit, I was competeing with a friend. We were trying to who would be the first to obtain a complete set of James Last lp's. It was getting out of control so I declared him the winner.
    God bless Fatso.

Comment

boney my man. the dude wasnt called james LAST for nothin'.
      if any one wants obscure/alternative covers for doo-doo party checkout stockport charity shops for size cos if they were the LAST records in the box i'd resort to collecting stamps or obscure polish posters (&#33.
      if its plasticine monsters on l.p. sleeves i need, im rockin' the maledictus sound.
      kraut rock ist nicht tot!
      http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
      http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Yo Doko!
        You've given me the strength to bin 'em, but I'll keep the one with Astrud Gilberto on 'cuse i dig her voice! That should give me some space for completion of the Cold Chillin' catalogue, & when I ditch them Joe Loss doubles Im a start on Def Jam.
        Word 'em up!
        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

'Top Secret' is great too. That, 'Hair' and 'Voodoo Party' are the only that are listenable all the way through unless you love the cheesy vocals of the 'Beach Party' type stuff. Which I have to confess I do. If you don't there's a lot of scattered tracks. 'Rainy Rainy' on 'With Compliments', a bunch of fantastic cod reggae tracks on 'Caribbean Nights', 'Dirty Town' on 'The Happyning', a nice cover of Lighthouse's 'One Fine Morning' on 'Rock Me Gently'. Lots of bits on various medley albums such as 'Funky Inn'. Basically James is the man and if you don't love him you're just in denial.        

Comment

'10 Bananas'    Break
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

How about his 'Seduction' from 1980 (didn't know this was sampled by Jay Z..), and 'Well Kept Secret'?

Comment

I only listen to a few of them (and I have plenty I've never yet listened to   ). And I don't pick them all up - it very much depends on my mood at the time. But the fact that there are still proper undiscovered gems in his vast catalogue drives me on...  

Anyway, focussing on his music misses the point entirely. It's the sleeve photos, the font, his hairstyles, his clothes... The man's a god! I mean, there's no denying the coolness of having an orange artic truck with 'James Last' emblazoned in the huge letters in the James Last font down the side. Is there?!? (And the version of 'Greensleeves' on that LP is pretty tasty too). After the apocalypse, the cockroaches will be listening to James Last, 'cos there's way too many of his LP's out there to possibly destroy them all.  

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

i play "hair" and "voodoo party", they're good albums. i have been known to pick up some of the utter rubbish ones purely for the sleeve photos and fonts etc, like rich said.

when i was about 5 or 6, i was quite obsessed with stuff on polydor for some reason and had a few bits. my uncle used to give me records he'd rescued from the cinema he worked in and i remember getting a copy of "beach party" in a pile one time.  

in the 70s, polydor would quite often put promotional catalogue leaflets inside their sleeves and i used to love looking at the james last sleeves. i have asked myself recently why i've picked up so many crap last vinyl in my time, but i'm pretty sure that's the answer.  

i still don't have "well kept secret" but i'm told that's a good one as well.

Comment

well mark theres your answer......
                    i wish someone would reply to my kim jung mi question.
                    i teach some dudes at college who collect james last and top of the pops lps, they also wear afro wigs to discos, wear gola trainers and laugh all the way through get carter.
                    meanwhile i get drunk and start fights in the name of wolfgang dauner (did they work)
                    anybody got the pentangle dvd, its the best thing ive picked up in 10 years.
                    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
                    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
                    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

here's another vote for 'well kept secret'. the version of 'love for sale' on there is brilliant - loads of name sessioners play on that album too. oh, and it's not medley'd to the max either, which helps.
                      http://www.blaxploitation.com
                      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 08 2004,12:59)]they also wear afro wigs to discos, wear gola trainers and laugh all the way through get carter.
                        best film ever - someone once told me there was an old version of it with a soundtrack by roy hudd, but i cannae be arsed with it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wooly @ June 08 2004,14:32)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 08 2004,12:59)]they also wear afro wigs to discos, wear gola trainers and laugh all the way through get carter.
                          best film ever - someone once told me there was an old version of it with a soundtrack by roy hudd, but i cannae be arsed with it.
                          Being a bit ironic today are we Mr 50 records?
                          or do you really only have 50 records? In which case, sir, I salute your restraint.
                          It ain't shakey

Comment

you guys are on fire:
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]best film ever - someone once told me there was an old version of it with a soundtrack by roy hudd, but i cannae be arsed with it.
                            and

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]James is the man and if you don't love him you're just in denial.
                            anymore? does someone else here want to join the oneliner of the week competition?
                            er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ June 08 2004,14:33)]Being a bit ironic today are we Mr 50 records?
                              or do you really only have 50 records? In which case, sir, I salute your restraint.    
                              That had me worried too...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X