James Last Live !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Last Live !

Another JL LP to look out for y'all (assuming that you've not all got in your racks).

'James Last Live (Selections From The World Tour Programe)' Polydor 2360 070

Worth it along on the face of it for the photo book in the middle of the gatefold with the pictures of the tour, but go straight past the half decent stabs at 'Shaft', 'Face In The Crowd' & 'Also Sprach...' and go straight to 'Greensleeves'. Yes, 'Greensleeves'.

Jesus, I doubt this has ever been given such a thorough seeing too.... hammond filled psych tear through complete with massive drum solo (and 4 bar break). I had to play the #### thing twice and check that there hadn't been some terrible mistake with the pressing.

Thanks Colin
    Matt Hero

Is that the one with Introducing the band on it?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Yup, that's the one. It's only mentioned in the gatefold and not the back cover.

Well worth a couple of quid of anybodies money for the booklet alone.
      Matt Hero

Comment

Chris Dafugitive does a nice blend of Apache with Introducing...

I like the picture in the book where James is laying a foundation with one of his gold discs embedded in the stone - which LP is it do you reckon - Hair?

Comment

I like the reception in Hong Kong..... 'Mr Last, Mr Funke'
          Matt Hero

Comment

On Bass - Benny Bendorf!

I have to get that into a track somehow
            FunkyDown
            Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Hi, my bro, known as Arno Frangos, has posted on this board, but this is the first time I post myself.
              I thought I had my James Last collection pretty much filled with the "essentials", but seems like I don't. What others than Hair, Well kept secret, Voodoo party, beach party 3 and the other one with the pyhith break, non stop dancing '72 (or was it 13, atleast the one with shaft, also sprach). Any more I should get hold of?

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Nuts on 7:10 pm on April 9, 2003
                Hi, my bro, known as Arno Frangos, has posted on this board, but this is the first time I post myself.
                I thought I had my James Last collection pretty much filled with the &quot;essentials&quot;, but seems like I don't. What others than Hair, Well kept secret, Voodoo party, beach party 3 and the other one with the pyhith break, non stop dancing '72 (or was it 13, atleast the one with shaft, also sprach). Any more I should get hold of?
                <span =''>

'Non Stop Dancing 17' (also known as 'Non Stop Dancing 1976') with a fine medley of 'Rice &amp; Beans' into '7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Blow Your Whistle' is well worth a listen (which is what I'll do with any more records before I pass them onto Matt).

Does anyone know who does the original of 'Rice &amp; Beans' as nobody I've asked seems to know?

Colin
                http://www.myspace.com/colinmillar

Comment

There's a studio version of 'Greensleeves' too, which sounds like Mr Last had been listening to 'Inna Gadda Da Vida' for too long - quite good, actually. I think it's on 'Starportrait'.
                  The Gatecrashers' take on it on Stereo Gold Award is worth a pop too, though you can see where Barbara Moore (if 'twas her, as I believe it was) got her inspiration from.
                  'Cossack Patrol' on 'James Last In Russia' is good as well - that's also on '.....Live', isn't it?
                  I'm sure there are more James Lasts with summat decent on them - I've got millions of the little gits, so if I can remember anything decent I'll post it here.
                  Don't have 'Well Kept Secret' though. What's so great about it?

Comment

</span>
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Lord Thames on 11:06 pm on April 9, 2003

Don't have 'Well Kept Secret' though. What's so great about it?
                    <span =''>

Basically its the best James Last LP by a long, long way. I personally think that 'Voodoo Party' as a great James Last LP whereas 'Well Kept Secret' is simply a great LP. 'Summertime', 'Love For Sale' and 'Bolero 75' are all fantastic (with 'Summertime' being my favourite version of the song) but the whole thing's a solid listen and for my money its the only essential James Last LP.

Colin
                    http://www.myspace.com/colinmillar

Comment

</span>
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Colin Hero on 7:42 pm on April 9, 2003
                      </span>
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Nuts on 7:10 pm on April 9, 2003
                      I thought I had my James Last collection pretty much filled with the &quot;essentials&quot;, but seems like I don't. What others than Hair, Well kept secret, Voodoo party, beach party 3 and the other one with the pyhith break, non stop dancing '72 (or was it 13, atleast the one with shaft, also sprach). Any more I should get hold of?
                      <span =''>

'Non Stop Dancing 17' (also known as 'Non Stop Dancing 1976') with a fine medley of 'Rice &amp; Beans' into '7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Blow Your Whistle' is well worth a listen (which is what I'll do with any more records before I pass them onto Matt).

Does anyone know who does the original of 'Rice &amp; Beans' as nobody I've asked seems to know?

Colin
                      <span =''>

I think it's a Booker T song... but I ain't sure.

Comment

</span>[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] ]Quote: from formigo on 7:08 am on April 10, 2003
                        </span>
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Colin Hero on 7:42 pm on April 9, 2003
                        Quote:

Colin
                        <span =''>

I think it's a Booker T song... but I ain't sure.
                        <span =''>

I don't think they did it first. I only have them doing a live version on the Back To Back split album with the Mar-Kays.
                        http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

there's a studio version of 'Rice and Beans' as a 45 b-side (to 'Be My Lady', Stax 182 - don't know what year that makes it - '65?)

Comment

I always thought that Rice &amp; Beans was a James Last original composition, could be wrong though.

Comment

Isn't the Booker T tune &quot;Red Beans &amp; Rice&quot; rather than &quot;Rice &amp; Beans&quot;?

Comment

Working...
                              X