No announcement yet.

Folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know Ive got that magicians tracks on one of the diggin deeper comps.

Quick google. here

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

it was on the nuggets comp WAAAAAY before david holmes sampled it. he also samples the track &#39;pepper mint store&#39; on the track before it and keeps the record running, cheeky&#33;
      did any one get-on the scene in &#39;clockwork orange&#39; with sunforest playing in the background, (that completes a circle).

ive got a comp called &quot;folk is not a four letter word&quot; coming out in the summer on Cherry Red and i&#39;m in two minds about the &#39;gotta co my best&#39; track. for me chris harwood is a three tracker and this is the lick yet remaining to be comped... am i right, i&#39;m not that clued up on compilations.

OK &#39;Fear Itself&#39; is one of the best records around (as are all the first three mcillwaine albums) shes got abit of a hendrix obsession but &#39;underground river&#39; and &#39;born under a bad sign&#39; are SERIOUS&#33;&#33;&#33;
      kraut rock ist nicht tot!
      http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
      http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

&#39;Feat Itself&#39; on DOT?

I got that last year sometime and its just brilliant. I think John S recommended that to me. And something else. Which I caught that had an insert he wanted to photocopy (er john what was that?)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 09 2004,11:34)]for me chris harwood is a three tracker and this is the lick yet remaining to be comped...  am i right, i&#39;m not that clued up on compilations.
          as I said, tried to license it for one of my Harmless LPs but couldn&#39;t track down the label at all - if you can do it legally you&#39;re a better man than I&#33;

second the Fear Itself, by the way...
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 09 2004,11:57)]&#39;Feat Itself&#39; on DOT?

I got that last year sometime and its just brilliant. I think John S recommended that to me. And something else. Which I caught that had an insert he wanted to photocopy (er john what was that?)
            Noir.
            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Yeah,the Gather In The Mushrooms CD has been pretty busy in my car.
              Best bits for me are Bert Jansch and Sandy Denny...I&#39;ve got to get to know more of their stuff.The Buffalo track sounds like the Eagles crossed with REM to me but it gets a nice little groove on about 3/4 the way in.
              Good to hear the original &#39;Love Song&#39; as well.
              Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Checking the ol&#39; weekend bag of goodies........
                I got a Dawn comp from &#39;73 with the recently discussed Demon Fuzz track, but superb folk outfit COMUS have a nice tune on it, from their Dawn LP &quot;First Utterance&quot;, anyone got it?? Hit me wit the down low.
                You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Comus sounds cool.

http://www.btinternet.com/~rubberneck/comus.html

Comment

Nice one Serms, that cover looks wicked&#33;
                    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ June 09 2004,00:46)]Checking the ol&#39; weekend bag of goodies........
                      I got a Dawn comp from &#39;73 with the recently discussed Demon Fuzz track, but superb folk outfit COMUS have a nice tune on it, from their Dawn LP &quot;First Utterance&quot;, anyone got it?? Hit me wit the down low.
                      Apparently it&#39;s pricey as hell, with even reissues drawing ££ on ebay. Someone on here did do me a cd-r of &#39;First Utterance&#39;, and it&#39;s pretty cool stuff, though - very much things lurking in woodsheds kind of dark folk. Well worth the effort, if you can find it, but one that requires a very particular frame of mind to get into properly. Get into it, and you won&#39;t want to hear anything else...

On the subject (and sorry for ritually bringing up Vashti Bunyan, as in every folk thread ever) but does anyone know if the &#39;Train Song&#39; she did for the Immediate label - that was oddly left off the reissue of her LP, which did have the flip on it - is the same &#39;Train Song&#39; done by Pentangle etc, or a different song altogether?

Saw an interview with her in Dazed &amp; Confused a few months ago that hinted she&#39;d been thinking about recording some of the songs she&#39;d been writing for herself over the years, too, so that would be a turn-up worth hearing if it happened. Nice to see she&#39;s on good form, anyway.

Favourite quote in the piece:

&quot;I read somewhere recently that my songs couldn&#39;t be written now without sounding ridiculous. The thing is, in 1970 they were seen as ridiculous&quot;.
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Just a side note. Does anyone here read the &#39;tapestry of delights&#39; book? Its also online so google for it. Utterly amazing guide to UK psych/prog/folk. I dip into it all the time researching things. Well worth the £20 or so to get it.

Comment

i used to check it all the time online, along with &quot;fuzz, acid &amp; flowers&quot;, but the borderlinebooks links don&#39;t appear to work anymore.

Comment

jokin?&#33;

OK well I downloaded the WHOLE site about a year ago so I got search it locally...lets hope I still have it as Im not photocopying the book for anyone&#33;

Comment

One folk LP that I used to have (that disappeared in my Uni days along with so many other records) that seemed to be quite readily available but I never see it in the wild these days is Kenny Rankin&#39;s &#39;Silver Morning&#39;. I used to like playing &#39;In The Name Of Love&#39; and &#39;Berimbau&#39;.

Does anyone see this around still? One I keep asking the various dealers I see to keep an eye out for, but no luck thus far.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I&#39;m putting a rare UK psych LP on the Bay soon that&#39;s been known to reach 700 pounds, I&#39;m going to use any proceeds to finally track down a Harwood. I&#39;ve not even been close to one of these&#33;&#33;&#33;

Comment

Working...
                                X