Bruton cds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruton cds!

Got a pile of CD's sent from Zomba today. Very very very interesting.

One was called 'Classic Rare Grooves' BRH92 from 1997!

The tracklisting is killer - loads of funky library jazz which is all PEER PIL stuff. I need some help filling in the blanks to where the songs come from.

1) Chicano Chaser - Ian Langley (From 'Reggae For Real' Peer PIL9023 - Been a holy grail for years - NEED the OG)

2) Five Plus Four - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

3) Hole In One - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

4) Injury Time - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

5) Beat Norm - Johnny Scott (I think this is from Big Hammer - Havent got it to hand - NEED the peer issue - Had the southern and spanish issues)

6) Shifty - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

7) Back To Front - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

8) Riffin' - Claude Bolling (From 'Dreaming & Dancing' Peer PIL9020 - I had written this lp off but this track is well smart&#33

9)The Paunch - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

10) Safari Park - Roger Roger (From 'Mindbender' Peer PIL9013)

11) Rolling - Johnny Scott (I think this is from Big Hammer - Havent got it to hand)

12) Rough Ride - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

13) Heavy Lift - Johnny Scott (Pretty sure this is from Big Hammer - Havent got it to hand)

14) Photo-Finish - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

15) Zenith - Barry Forgie (Fron 'Zenith' Peer PIL9014)

16) Hunted - Barry Forgie (From 'Mindbender' Peer PIL9013 - I had never bothered with a side to Mindbender before...wow this is good)

17) False Start - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

18) Late Summer - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

19) Face To Face - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

20) Late Start - Al Newman (From '5+4' Peer PIL9029)

21) Al's Blues - Barry Forgie (??? - This is excellent! Kind of perky saxy/flutey wah wah)

22) Whispering Giant - Barry Forgie (??? - Again really good.)

23) Soul Thing - Sven Libaek (From 'My Thing' sorry cant remember the cat. Only got the southern issue. NEED the Peer issue).

I'll list up more later!

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Any chance of a dub of that Serms?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Yes mate&#33;

The rest are new takes on funky library - havent got round to them yet.

The only other reissue one is &#39;1970&#39;s Crime Drama&#39; - BRJ47. Seems to be all Bruton gear - Drama Montage and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 09 2004,15:50)]21) Al&#39;s Blues - Barry Forgie (??? - This is excellent&#33; Kind of perky saxy/flutey wah wah)

22) Whispering Giant - Barry Forgie (??? - Again really good.)
        &#39;Al&#39;s Blues&#39; is from &#39;Hit Man&#39; (PIL 9037) - on the LP all the tracks are credited to &#39;Sound Prospect&#39;. Interesting to find out who they were&#33; I suspect the Al the track refers to is Al Newman.

&#39;Whispering Giant&#39; is from &#39;Confrontation&#39; (PIL 9024), played by the Frank Sterling Big Band and is easily the best track on the LP.

I didn&#39;t know about this CD, actually - I&#39;ll have to get a copy&#33;

Comment

cheers Lord T&#33;

I can run you off a copy too if you like?

Bugger. I passed up Hitman twice already thinking it was crap.

Confrontation Ive never seen. Whats the cover like?

Comment

I have the Rare Groove one, Hustle and Easy Listening TV Tunes. Drama Montage, ets were featured heavily on BRCD 16 drama/Crime 2.
            Happy to dub if anyone wants any.
            Library blog

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (bionic boy @ June 09 2004,21:08)]I have the Rare Groove one, Hustle and Easy Listening TV Tunes.  Drama Montage, ets were featured heavily on BRCD 16 drama/Crime 2.
              Happy to dub if anyone wants any.
              I am still waiting on my copy of the Hustle, but I doubt whether my source will supply it eventually. So, I&#39;d be interested in a copy of that and the Rare Groove.
              I can supply a copy of the Sound Stylistics and the Old School Classics for trade.

Does anybody know whether this is worth tracking down: bruton CD BRH110 power funk ???

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ June 09 2004,19:55)]Confrontation Ive never seen. Whats the cover like?
                &#39;Confrontation&#39; has a blue and red striped cover, incorporating a photo of the trombone section of the Peter Dennis Orchestra (from the cover of the Telefunken &#39;Back To The Bands&#39; LP) and &#39;Confrontation&#39; written in the Kojak font.

&#39;Hit Man&#39; has three good tracks on it, all three of which turned up on a compilation of somewhat dubious legality, &#39;The Audio Blue Collection vol 1&#39; - &#39;Hit Man&#39;, &#39;Latin A-Go Go&#39; and &#39;Al&#39;s Blues&#39;. Nice cover too, though I&#39;ve only got a minidisc copy of the LP, alas&#33;

Comment

Funny how they&#39;ve taken every tune off 5+4&#33;&#33;&#33; I believe there is also a commercial release of this under the Powerhouse name.

The three J. Scott tracks are indeed Big Hammer. You may be able to get a butchers at the Confrontation cover (PIL 9024) on cdandlp.com, under the Black Music/Euro Grooves section (page 3). It&#39;s been up there for a while and is the red/blue trombones sleeve.

Good luck on that Langley Group LP. Been after that for years and never had a sniff. Chicano Chaser is a cracking tune though.

Comment

Cheers dude. 45 Euro is waaaay steep for &#39;confrontation&#39;. No wonder its been up there a while&#33;

Yeah &#39;Reggae for real&#39; is killing me. I think the nutsons got it off ebay for £10 or something ridiculous. This was while I was on holiday I think.

Comment

&#39;Power Funk&#39; are all by Steve Byrd, so likely to be new compositions. a &#39;Various Artists&#39; is a good cue to archive stuff. Are there are any other good archive CDs that have been out recently? Have KPM done any since their 60&#39;s &amp; 70&#39;s comps?
                      Library blog

Comment

KPM seem to have done just the four - The Sixties, The Seventies, and Sounds of the 60s &amp; 70s vols 1&amp;2

Bruton&#39;s &#39;Tribute to the 70s vol 1&#39; has some good disco and synth-funk tracks on it, plus some modern ones from John Fiddy (under the alias &#39;Jean Pierre Fabien&#39 which are pretty convincing - the lad&#39;s still got it&#33; Vol. 2 is all modern stuff, alas, but it does feature some tracks by Bruce Foxton of The Jam&#33;&#33;

The Primrose library are also putting out some interesting obscure Italian stuff - I&#39;ve got &#39;Delirium 1973&#39; and &#39;Italiana Cocktail&#39; which are both pretty good.

And the JW library have done a series of CDs called &#39;Cheesy Listening&#39; (UGH&#33 with tracklistings that look positively mouthwatering....shame I can&#39;t get my hands on &#39;em&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 10 2004,14:37)]And the JW library have done a series of CDs called &#39;Cheesy Listening&#39; (UGH&#33 with tracklistings that look positively mouthwatering....shame I can&#39;t get my hands on &#39;em&#33;
                          Why can&#39;t you get them?

Who owns JW these days? Just get them sent to the station mate. Or is there something else going on here?

Comment

It&#39;s something I&#39;ve often thought about trying, actually - trouble is I&#39;m only a newsreader, and if they find out I&#39;m not likely to use them, they might want them back&#33;

Actually, would I be able to get hold of them as a freelance (which is what I am)? I suppose if I sex up my CV a bit.......

Comment

Write them a mail from your radio station email address. Saying you are putting together a programme and need x cd&#39;s. Worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X