Saint john coltrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint john coltrane

Program tracing the life of John Coltrane.

Let's hope it's a good one.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Probably will be if it's part of the 'Imagine' series... I'm really enjoying them at the mo'.
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

yes, looking forward to this. its been a good series. the edward hopper one was great although after seeing the actually exhibition, my opinion of him has pretty much completely diminished! just a bad painter really!
      High on my own supply.

Comment

Individual Edward Hopper paintings are good but a whole exhibition gets very 'samey' (where's Brian Sewell when you need him).

The Coltrane show tonight provides some rarely seen footage of the man in action.

I'm hoping there's plenty of input from Alice Coltrane.

Comment

This sounds MEGA! Hope it includes some Love Supreme.
          You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Disappointed with the program. More music (without people talking over the top) would've been nice. Would be great to have seen the full life performance clip of 'A Love Supreme'.

Still, better than nothing.

Comment

good Coltrane family home movie though...nice top, Alice!
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Thought it was too short to cover anything of use really. Loved the Sound of Miles Davis thing after it though - Miles having a fag while Coltrane played his solo...
                Errr..Hambone?

Comment

"try taking the motherfucker out of your mouth"

it was a bit scatty. missed the miles davis part at the end cause i got tiredÂ… not bad anyways, better than not seeing it -
                  High on my own supply.

Comment

Agreed - it was a bit hit or miss.. like Cal, I liked the Miles Davis quote...
                    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I wasn't too impressed. It seemed to accept the thesis that he became rubbish after A Love Supreme. Which is absolute cobblers, Kulu Se Mama is one of my all time favourite albums.

That said it what there was was nice. Certainly beats watching Big Brother.

Now where can I get some brains and eggs for breakfast?
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

oh yeah, brains & eggsÂ… you only live once so i'd give it a go i s'pose
                        High on my own supply.

Comment

is it the documentary where he plays yet another version of "favourite things" ?

didn't see it last night... damn

Comment

well, it was nice to see john coltrane on primetime TV, even if it was more of a brief introduction than anything else. for me, the "imagine" series has suffered in that it tackles subject matter that is generally too complex or detailed to fully do justice in the timeslot available, so i wasn't too surprised at last night's program. the piece yentob did on hip-hop a while back was really bad. and that's bad meaning really poor, not good

the aformentioned miles davis moments were class, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X