Huge radio station clearout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge radio station clearout

On Saturday morning I went to Dublin's largest Oxfam shop which was selling off 25,000 records they got from a radio station. This had been very heavily publicised and it was pretty animal getting to access the records as they were on long trestle tables with only about 18 inches between them.

Annoyingly I discovered that since they were donated by a radio station in Belfast they had been on sale there for the previous 2 weeks so it was well picked over already. It was just the rock/pop of 1976-91 vintage, No major rarities that I could see and a lot of it was priced accordingly. €40 for Tonto’s Expanding Headband, even €15 for stuff like Dexy’s.

I also discovered that the jazz and blues went on sale that day in Belfast. If I had known that a day trip up there would have been the plan. Now whatÂ’s the chance it would be worth going to Belfast tomorrow - if I could get the time off - I suspect the best bits will be gone and I suspect the "jazz" may be fairly straight ahead and square. But it is not coming to Dublin afterwards its going to another town that'd be just as hard to get to for a day trip.

Anyway gripes aside this is what I hauled out, lots of jazz funk The Cheapest ones were the Denis Waterman lps for 50c and the Can album was €18. Total was about €135.
    Age Of Chance: 1000 Years Of Trouble
    Alexi Sayle: Panic
    Alexi Sayle: The Fish People Tapes
    Alterntive TV: Strange Kicks
    B.A.D.: Sightsee MC 12”
    Can: Flow Motion
    Chic: Real People
    Con Funk Shun: Love Shine
    Denis Waterman: Downwind Of Angels (Is This The Worst Title Of Any Album Ever?)
    Denis Waterman: Waterman
    George Duke: Reach For It
    Hi Rhythm: On The Level
    James Brown: Bring It On
    James Brown: Soul Syndrome
    James Gang: Best Of
    Janzun Crew: Down To Earth
    Kanda Bongo Man: Kwasi Kwasi
    Lee Oskar: S/T (the harmonica player from War with the rest of the band involved too)
    Light Of The World: Best Of Light Of The World
    Light Of The World: Remixed
    Linda Lewis: Woman Overboard
    Matthews Southern Comfort: Best Of (Spare)
    Medicine Head: Rock File Comp
    Modettes: Story So Far
    Ofra Haza: Sha Day
    One Way: Featuring Al Hudson
    Osibisa: Best Of
    Passport: Atraxia
    Peter Belgvad: Knights Like This
    Peter Belgvad: The Naked Shakespere
    Phillip Glass: Songs From Liquid Days
    Sharon Forrester: S/T
    Stanley Turrentine: Nightwings
    Steeley Span: Rocket Cottage (Spare)
    Third World: 96° In The Shade
    Tony Tuff: S/T
    Twa Toots: Peel Session
    V/A: Some Bizarre Album
    V/A: Stay Awake (Disney Covers Including Tom Waits And Sun Ra)
    Virginia Astley: Tender 12”
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ June 21 2004,11:24)]Denis Waterman: Downwind Of Angels (Is This The Worst Title Of Any Album Ever?)
    personally I think that prize goes to China Crisis' classic 'Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms (Some people think it's fun to entertain)' which manages to combine pretension, length, sheer ludicrousness- AND brackets (always a sign of a bad album title)...but 'Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them' comes pretty close
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ June 21 2004,12:44)]
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ June 21 2004,11:24)]Denis Waterman: Downwind Of Angels (Is This The Worst Title Of Any Album Ever?)
      personally I think that prize goes to China Crisis' classic 'Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms (Some people think it's fun to entertain)' which manages to combine pretension, length, sheer ludicrousness- AND brackets (always a sign of a bad album title)...but 'Please Hammer Don't Hurt Them' comes pretty close  
      Nah. "Listen without Prejudice (Volume 1)" gets my vote....
      Endless Tripe

Comment

The Moonflowers' Hash Smits is crap, but appropriate.

Well I went back at lunchtime for a more civilised browse and fund a Roy Ayers from 79 and a Franki Valli from 72 with The Night for €6 a piece and some cheaper stuff by Love Unlimited and AWB. And best of all a 12" of We Call It Acieed for €1.50 - well it had no price so I asked and the guy took it in the back and came back and said that was the price so I decided not to argue. I think it may be a remix but if not it is a spare too.

Still a few Brass Construction, BT Express, Crusaders and Muscles lps left there too.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

the first Crusaders album on Blue Thumb is worth picking up if cheap, although Oxfam pricing could well be higher than a real dealer price...

Comment

They had a 4 track with 1 Crusaders song from each of the first 4 albums and Southern Knights and a few othrs I already had. At €6 a pop not really worthwhile.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ June 21 2004,14:52)]The Moonflowers' Hash Smits is crap, but appropriate.
              I saw the Moonflowers at the Cambridge BoatRace Pub many years ago; halfway through the set the singer pulled his kaks down, shat in them & pulled his trousers back up again. The barman kicked his head in.
              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ June 21 2004,17:00)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ June 21 2004,14:52)]The Moonflowers&#39; Hash Smits is crap, but appropriate.
                I saw the Moonflowers at the Cambridge BoatRace Pub many years ago; halfway through the set the singer pulled his kaks down, shat in them &amp; pulled his trousers back up again.  The barman kicked his head in.
                Lucky they didn&#39;t book GG Allin then...
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                X