Sergio mendes or mental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio mendes or mental

So is Brasil 77 or even 88 or even, god forbid, his solo stuff any good?
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Well Brazil 77 did the old northern fave 'Love Music' and made a decent fist of covering 'Superstition' Plus they also covered Stevie's 'The Real Thing' on 12". Infact the album that comes from I like too.

Primal Roots is a belter of an album by Brazil 77.

I'm rather partial to Zanzibar on 77's Pais Tropical LP.

Theres that live LP by Brazil 77 that you see everywhere. It's got a bod hangliding on the cover. Theres a nice batucada on there albeit a bit on the short side (infact I think that's on Primal Roots too)

I really like 88's version of Patti Austin's 'Thats Enough For Me' but it might be a bit on the syrupy side of soul for some on the board. The 12" of 'I'll Tell You' is nice also.

Pele is a good LP by Sergio on his tod.

What about Brazil 65 though????
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

"Stillness" by Brasil 77 contains the rather good "For What It's Worth", which also came out on 45...
      There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

I've never understood what all the fuss is about re: Sergio - and you know me, I like any old tat, I just can't get into his stuff.  Is there anything out there that could perhaps make me change my mind?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ June 21 2004,17:40)]"Stillness" by Brasil 77 contains the rather good "For What It's Worth", which also came out on 45...
          Oohh. Didn't know that came out on 45.

Nice call, but I could have sworn that was by Brasil 66?

And I've just noticed I've been spelling Brasil 'Brazil' - whoops
          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ June 22 2004,08:28)]Nice call, but I could have sworn that was by Brasil 66?
            You are right and I am a moron...

The bit about the was right, though...
            There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 21 2004,23:44)]I've never understood what all the fuss is about re: Sergio - and you know me, I like any old tat, I just can't get into his stuff.  Is there anything out there that could perhaps make me change my mind?
              Righteous Life is the Brasil 66 track that screams genius to me.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I've got quite a pile of his lps at home, from the 60s through to early 80s and there's stuff I like on pretty much every one of them.

"Home Cooking" has a couple of nice latin jazz-funkers on it.

Also, their version of "If I ever lose this heaven" on Elektra 7" is a favourite round my depot.

I was listening to "Chelsea Morning" off "Stillness" before coming to work this morning, coincidentally....
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ June 21 2004,17:40)]"Stillness" by Brasil 77 contains the rather good "For What It's Worth", which also came out on 45...
                  Wasn't this reissued on a 45 recently too?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 21 2004,00:44)]I've never understood what all the fuss is about re: Sergio - and you know me, I like any old tat, I just can't get into his stuff.  Is there anything out there that could perhaps make me change my mind?
                    Well, 'Equinox' and 'Herb Alpert Presents...Brasil 66' are probably two of the most played LPs in the racks, but if you don't like those, I'd guess your chances of finding his other output congenial is fairly slim...Have to say, though, that I'd heard his stuff on and off for years and never really clicked with it, then one day I just kind of 'got' it, and started picking up (mostly his 60s) stuff...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                    X