X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treeboy
    replied
    Which turntable did you get YY? And is it any good/easy to use?
    Welcome aboard and good luck with the speakers. I take it by "anyone", you mean someone special?

Leave a comment:

• Yr Ynys
    replied
    Another newb reporting in.

The gift of a turntable with the facility to digitise my old records to free up space has backfired somewhat! The pile of vinyl is rapidly growing and a couple of local record shops have taken to knowing and using my first name, which I think is probably a bad thing if I'm ever to turn my mind to that pension plan...

My original collection would have had such corkers as The Merton Parkas, Squire, The Chords et al. More recent purchases are a bit, well, random. But still predominantly old school 50 year balding bloke typical. All things gloriously ska, reggae, soul, dub and wotnot. Nothing too noodly, but happy to try just about anything.

Currently working on a scheme to upgrade my speakers without anyone noticing.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    ,Welcome aboard SJM. I wouldn't fret about the psych side of things. I'm well aware it isn't everybodys cup of tea, in fact I consider myself to be in a bit of a minority, as my posts are generally orientated in that direction. Having been on here for a couple of years, my tastes have definitely broadened out quite a lot as a result of other peoples tastes. So you definitely do belong here, get posting.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about it mate. I'm relatively new and lean more towards jazz, prog and electronic music myself. The great thing about this place though is it covers a whole range of music and doesn't shun any genre. Personally I'm lost around 60's psych but its great to learn from some of the encyclopaedic knowledge on offer here.

Originally posted by spiritual jazz mags View Post
    I've just signed up for the Love Saves the Day mix, so I thought I better introduce myself.

I buy plenty of vinyl old and new. Lots of interests including jazz, brazilian, disco, house, afro, ambient, esoteric, electronic, dub etc. I'm yet to get into psych though, so not too sure I belong here really, and I gave up on charity shops about 15 years ago as I bought too many crap records in them.

When I first discovered this site (after a google search for the Michael Garrick Farnham festival release) the Trader Horne debacle had just reached its zenith, and although the hour or so I spent reading that thread did fascinate and amuse I wasn't sure this was something I needed to be a part of. But I've kept coming back.

I've done a few mixes for the Jazz Meet podcast.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    I've never named any of my pics and it works ok. Wonder what's going on there?
    Had a play about the other day and it seems its an internet explorer problem as it wasn't causing a problem in Firefox. I cleared my cache and it seems to be fine. I shouldn't use IE as its always crashing but it seems hard wired in to my brain to open it, I should disable the thing and be done with it really.

Leave a comment:

• spiritual jazz mags
    replied
    I've just signed up for the Love Saves the Day mix, so I thought I better introduce myself.

I buy plenty of vinyl old and new. Lots of interests including jazz, brazilian, disco, house, afro, ambient, esoteric, electronic, dub etc. I'm yet to get into psych though, so not too sure I belong here really, and I gave up on charity shops about 15 years ago as I bought too many crap records in them.

When I first discovered this site (after a google search for the Michael Garrick Farnham festival release) the Trader Horne debacle had just reached its zenith, and although the hour or so I spent reading that thread did fascinate and amuse I wasn't sure this was something I needed to be a part of. But I've kept coming back.

I've done a few mixes for the Jazz Meet podcast.

Leave a comment:

• bradx
    replied
    ..... except you don't even get a jar!! You just get the fart.
    Last edited by bradx; 21-03-2015, 07:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by bradx View Post
    I do buy the odd download - but what am I getting? There's nothing to look at.
    A fart in a jar - as they are commonly known around here

Welcome Brad.

Leave a comment:

• bradx
    replied
    Thank you!

Re-reading my introductory post above - it's excessively grumpy.... apologies. To clarify - I will take vinyl over cd or any other format any day of the week.
    I tend to put cds on when the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. My knees have completely gone.... I can't kneel down in front of the turntables like I used to any more.
    When I was about 4 or 5 I used to wake early and go downstairs where my Dad had his brand new Pye radiogram.
    He had some good records - Big Bill Broonzy, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Jim Reeves, Chris Barber... plus some classical and some soundtracks. I loved putting these things on. So from a very early age I was already digging this stuff. I liked looking at the sleeves whilst listening and this is something I never let go.
    I do buy the odd download - but what am I getting? There's nothing to look at.

Anyway - I have posted a couple of recent finds in the appropriate thread. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Welcome aboard Bradx. Keep us informed of any "chancers" that turn up trumps.

Leave a comment:

• bradx
    replied
    Hello.
    I just registered after lurking for a while. There's a lot of good info here.
    I still buy a lot of records, mainly 2nd hand... and I love my old records. But I'm not so bothered about new vinyl if that makes any sense. Doesn't do a lot for me.
    Cds are fine with me. Downloads have their place too. I'm just not that fussy any more. Probably heresy but who cares. I even listen to my old tapes sometimes.
    I find the modern cult of vinyl and the money-making aspect of it a complete turn-off. I hate the way prices are uniform and its more difficult to get good records at good prices.
    Its all gone a bit daft.

I was reminiscing with someone earlier. The town I live in used to have 40 record shops - or let's say 40 places where you could buy vinyl.
    Now there's about a dozen... which is still good going. There's even a couple I never go into.... or let's say once a year. I call them 'the museums' -
    as the stock never seems to change much/ or the prices. They want to milk the last 50p out of every collection they ever bought.

I've never counted my records but I imagine there's over 10,000 and probably 10,000 cds as well. I have sold a lot over the years.
    I sold 15,000 cds in the last 2 years, just clearing space. I used to have a lot more vinyl back in the 90s. I couldn't really store it any more so I got rid of a lot.
    I have worked in record shops in the 90s and 2000s... good fun at a time just before the internet became big. Some of the collections we used to buy... aye carumba.

I bought my 1st record in 1967.
    7" is my favourite format.
    I don't have any 'wants list'. There's nothing I 'want' any more. I just buy what takes my fancy.
    I take chances on a lot of things. The percentage of good discoveries isn't what it used to be.
    Sorry if this is a bit 'old-mannish'. I like music as much as ever - but the medium - nah no so bothered any more.
    Last edited by bradx; 17-03-2015, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    I've never named any of my pics and it works ok. Wonder what's going on there?

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Its as simple as Shere Khan has eloquently put. Just to add I've found I need to name my pics on photobucket otherwise I've found it wont let me select the link in 'img' easy done though just click the text box below each pic after they are uploaded and type something in.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    I also use photobucket. There's probably a better one but I cannot be arsed to look. It's easy to upload a picture to photobucket and once it's there you select one of your images and there are 4 different share links to the right of it. I usually left click the IMG link which copies it, go to the picture image in your reply box, click from URL, paste your URL, untick the retrieve remote file bit, click OK, and that's it done. I also love Moodymann and I'm bloody annoyed that his last was pressed in such small numbers. What is the bloody point! Within a couple of days it was on the net for ludicrous money. It's settled down a bit now but I still don't want to pay £40/50 for a recent release. Had to get the CD in the end. Mind you, I'm not sure he's bettered Silentintroduction really.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Took me a while to work out how to post pics. Its a bit of a pain in the backside but I ended up opening a free 'photobucket' account to host. You can use Instagram also apparently if that's your bag. Feel free to ask if you get stuck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X