X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giantchicken
    replied
    Welcome back Risto/Roisto - and now I've been enlightened as to what 'Balearic' means, I have to ask you - what is Ocora?

Leave a comment:

• roisto
    replied
    Risto from Espoo, Finland. I've been registered since 2005 but haven't exactly been active here... until maybe now. Started from rap in the late 1980's and currently into anything that moves me really, from Ocora to jazz, sweet soul and techno.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    Wow! I like it too by the sounds of it
    A classic thread:

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...light=Balearic

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Wow! I like it too by the sounds of it

Leave a comment:

• Lasse
    replied
    Ok, now we know, thanks:-)

Leave a comment:

• pitch
    replied
    Originally posted by treeboy View Post
    Welcome aboard Lasse If you've been lurking, you know what it's all about. What I don't know, is, just what is Balearic? Just thinking out loud, not meaning to put anyone on the spot.
    Have fun
    DJ Quantum explains (a pretty clear description I think )

"“Balearic” is a genre named after the Balearic islands and particular Ibiza, where it became popular in the late 80s/early 90s. The genre includes old pop/rock songs that sound good to clubbers, and anything that sounds good in the sunshine – be that because of lush instrumentation, a laid-back beat, or simply lyrics that encourage you to slam another Tequila and celebrate the summer a bit more!

Legend/myth has it that late 80s Ibiza/UK club DJs playing on the island who ran out of club tunes (remember it was all vinyl back then, and there was a scarcity, not a glut, of club-friendly music – especially on an island with one record shop…) started raiding their older tunes – tunes they’d bought before the acid house explosion of 1988, for stuff that worked.

Truth is, though, that DJs like the legendary Alfredo were actually mixing up a truly eclectic bunch of tunes in the clubs for Ibiza’s global cosmopolitan crowd as a choice, not as a fall-back.

There’s an element of “guilty pleasures” about the genre, for sure. Anything goes – from back in the day, listen to The Cure’s “Lullaby”, Ace’s “How Long (Has this Been Going On”), Talking Heads “Once In a Lifetime”. Or, check out more purposefully Balearic tunes like A Man Called Adam’s classic “Barefoot In The Head”. We’re talking traditionally performed songs but which have a smoothness, a groove, and often lyrics, that just work at sunset, on the beach, or simply when you’ve had your head pounded by EDM for half a weekend and want to hear something less frantic!

Now put this stuff into the hands of skilled DJs who know all about mixing club music, and all of a suddden you can get really nicely crafted, flowing DJ sets that go from Carly Simon to the Rolling Stones to Bat For Lashes without dropping a beat. I like to mix these kinds of tunes with very deep house, slo mo disco, half-speed trippy dubstep and DJ Shadow-style hip-hop to produce really varied sets that are full of surprises and are great for chilling out to. This makes it a lot of fun to play, and it really challenges your mixing skills.

To me, anyway, that’s Balearic – it’s one of the most most intriguing music scenes simply because it is so hard to pin down, and it depends upon taking often pretty uncool source material and crafting it into something that is artistic and unique. But think, sunshine, eclectic, timeless, club sensibility and you’re half way there… and think Ibiza, too, where it all began and where it got its name.
    "

Leave a comment:

• treeboy
    replied
    Welcome aboard Lasse If you've been lurking, you know what it's all about. What I don't know, is, just what is Balearic? Just thinking out loud, not meaning to put anyone on the spot.
    Have fun

Leave a comment:

• Lasse
    replied
    Good morning! Lasse from Malmö, Sweden here. Long time lurker, finally a member. Soul, jazz, Hip Hop and AOR is my thing but starting to enjoy Balearic (a bit scary) as well.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Welcome Bandanaman! You'll find all types of sounds catered for here, there's plenty of knowledge dropped for sure, feel free to join in

Leave a comment:

• Bandanaman
    replied
    Hello to all,

Lurked on and off for a while, slightly intimidated by the unbelievable knowledge on offer.
    Not really feeling I could contribute anything meaningful blah blah.
    Anyway, we are all in it together so f*%k it.

Aged 50.Real name Steven.Two teenage daughters, partner and cat.In no particular order.
    Big electronic and techno head.
    About 5 years ago I started broadening my musical horizons.Disco, funk ,synth wigouts, library, edits
    reissues,italo, nu disco all sorts of other stuff.
    Basically, going back and soundtracking another life while I was techno'd out.
    Been great fun so far.Found so much fantastic music that had passed me by.
    Played records back in the day at Sativa in the non techno room.Got around 2300 12's, albums,CD's and 7's.
    Occasionally play at a friends coffee shop these days.
    I've got a couple of 1210's and a Behringer DDM4000 mixer which I also use to midi control Traktor Pro.
    This is my Mixcloud page : http://www.mixcloud.com/stev0/
    Lets get it on

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by salme View Post
    Hi,

I'm Salme, from Pamplona, Spain. It's my first time here, just to say hello to all the people around there.

I collect all kind of music, mostly 60's and 70's, garage, psych, soul/funk, punk, post-punk...
    Welcome! You'll be in good company here for sure

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Hey Ralf..! Welcome... You have some fellow VG+'ers close by to Malmo, so look out for their posts..!

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Welcome Salme..!

Leave a comment:

• salme
    replied
    Hi,

I'm Salme, from Pamplona, Spain. It's my first time here, just to say hello to all the people around there.

I collect all kind of music, mostly 60's and 70's, garage, psych, soul/funk, punk, post-punk...

Leave a comment:

• cratedigger
    replied
    I'm Ralf, based in Malmö, Sweden. I started out in the punk wave, and diverted into post-punk, garage rock, 60's, 70's, psych and so on. Not collecting anything in particular, but always trying to dip my nose into other genres to find good music.
    And I'm stupefied the handle I chose was available. I typed it in for fun, expecting a suggestion "cratedigger207", but there you go...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X