• Show
Clear All

• settoselfdestruct
    replied
    A-ok! Take a well deserved nap!

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Welcome Julie - sorry about the account mix-up early - blame it on jet-lag tiredness...

Leave a comment:

• settoselfdestruct
    replied
    I'm Julie, 20, been lurking here for about a year now. I've been collecting since 15, mostly psych, kraut (up until '74 or so), minimal synth, post punk and art punk, as well as weird experimental sounds from the 70s - Ralph Records is one of my favorite labels. I dabble in 45s as well, but mostly lps. I work in a record store occasionally as well as having a weekly show on college radio. I don't have as much money to spend on records - as I'm a student, but I suppose that's possibly the transition to 45s hah.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by gizard View Post
    Hello sie. Yes. I remember trading a gi gi - daddy love 45 years back. Hope it played ok?
    Good Lord, that's some memory... yes, it's all good. Still got it!

Met him only once at the working man soul launch at the bethnal green working mans club
    I didn't meet many folks that night as I had the rubbish job of running the door and the record stall at the back of the room. Bah!

I think we go to the same Mumbai haunts...
    Yeah, I'm sure we do. As you know, there aren't many sellers over in Mumbai. Same in Delhi (the only other place in India I've found records...)

Now that I am selling full time I should have more time to get on here.
    That's what Julian said before he opened Second Scene..! ha..!

Leave a comment:

• gizard
    replied
    Hello sie. Yes. I remember trading a gi gi - daddy love 45 years back. Hope it played ok?

Shame you have not had much contact with chris either. I really liked him. Met him only once at the working man soul launch at the bethnal green working mans club.
    Thanks for the kind words. And glad that you like the blog.

I have to say that checking your finds recently makes me envious. Dang..you get everywhere and clean up. I think we go to the same Mumbai haunts. My in laws live there so I get to go once a year or so.

Great site you have here. I'll try my best to contribute. Now that I am selling full time I should have more time to get on here.

Thanks to the other guys who posted. It's nice to hear that people do make a go of having a shop. Because frankly I'm bricking myself. And have so much to sort out.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Hi, I actually joined many moons ago on the old vinyl vulture site and have checked in once in a while since. What a great site and amazing knowledge going around. I used to trade a fair bit with Chris Vulture but have since lost contact.
    Hi Chris, this is Sie - you used to trade with both Chris and I back in the day - I still have your Assemblers 45's with hand-painted sleeves..! I havent been in touch with Chris too much since Vinyl Vulture finished and Licorice Soul ran its course.

I watch your HBS show a fair bit - discovered it about a dozen shows in when some guy in the US who produces a record-collecting show linked to it. I enjoy listening to your finds and the Halloween show was pure genius. You did make me jealous once when you played the Donna McGhee album - a long time want. I reckon I owe Brad a royalty cheque for the phrase "Mr T Starter Kit" as I've used it several times since..!

Stick around and good luck with the new venture. It's a bit of a schlep from my place to get to, but I'll try and make the trip sometime soon...

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    Best of luck with your new venture gizard.Two of my friends took the plunge last year after months of me encouraging them with the opinion that Leeds was wide open for a new second hand vinyl emporium, they haven't looked back, and people are still walking in with crazy shit to sell them.
    Secondly I like your user name, many years ago a pal called Gary ended up in the local magistrates for some drunken minor public order offence which was duly reported in the local press, attributed to one Gizard G*****y, naturally he's been stuck with that namefor the last thirty years, though I think his Mum and Dad still refer to him as Gary.
    Welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Campag Record
    replied
    Great to see you on here Chris. Like Mr Sayers (and a few others on here) I've really enjoyed the HBS vids. Watched all of them over a couple months period late last year. Love the presenting style you and Brad employ . Some killer carboot and charity finds over the years....so much better than someone just flossing their online buys.

The Cookie Crew and Bizznizz interviews were especially good. Really looking forward to hearing MCM...always comes across as a really nice guy. Positive Reaction is my favourite UK hip hop LP.

And the best of luck with the new record shop venture. Really hope its a success.

Leave a comment:

• gizard
    replied
    Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    Sound fantastic, hope it's an hour special like the Cookie crew one...Which was great BTW.
    Yes, around an hour. He is a big collector so has his 9 tunes to play as well as the interview which was around 45 mins I think. Glad you liked the Cookie Crew interview. They were so nice....it was a pleasure having them over.

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    MCM was a lovely chap and the interview was great....a very humble fella who doesn't look any older than he did when he was in caveman 20 odd years ago!!!
    Sound fantastic, hope it's an hour special like the Cookie crew one...Which was great BTW.

Leave a comment:

• gizard
    replied
    Hey, yes it's Chris. Wow. I love your comments on youtube.....some serious knowledge there. Plus the kind words from you are always appreciated. I am super rubbish at replying on youtube so it's a nice surprise to be able to chat now.
    I hope the risk pays off as well....sadly I don't have a huge amount of money to start this venture....but my heart is in it so hopefully that will be enough....gulp!

MCM was a lovely chap and the interview was great....a very humble fella who doesn't look any older than he did when he was in caveman 20 odd years ago!!!

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    Welcome along (Chris?) mate....Good luck with the shop, hope the risk pays off for you man.

As you know I'm big HBS fan, can't wait to see the MCM interview.

Leave a comment:

• gizard
    replied
    Hi, I actually joined many moons ago on the old vinyl vulture site and have checked in once in a while since. What a great site and amazing knowledge going around. I used to trade a fair bit with Chris Vulture but have since lost contact.
    Anyway, I have put out a few 45's way back under the name 'The Assemblers' and am currently doing a weekly youtube video blog called HBS Music Archaeology which I love. I'm no music expert but love it and enjoy playing different tracks each week that have been unearthed. In turn we have met some truly amazing folk along the way who have been gracious enough to be interviewed (very unprofessionally) over the last 2 years.
    Right now I am taking a career break and am opening the worlds smallest but hopefully quite nice record shop in the suburbs of West London. I am scared wittless to say the least as I have a 2 year old son, a loving wife and a mortgage.....but I would kick myself if I didn't try.
    Anyway, I hope to be around here and contribute when I can as I now have time that did not exist before.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• stylesforfree
    replied
    I joined in November but I dont think I ever introduced myself. My first record was Task Force - Voice of the great outdoors. Ive recently become obsessed with japanese police drama and anime soundtracks. Im currently unemployed so right now im spending about 14 hours a day looking at records on the net.
    All my digging is now e-digging. Not many record shops left around here (Liverpool) mainly collectors spots that sell everything "by the book" price (Ruth Brown reissues for 16 quid!?)

Leave a comment:

• Cacapo
    replied
    Originally posted by spacefin View Post
    Given that there's a vinyl digger's map given out with a couple of dozen stores on it (and a bunch of more general and unreliable second-hand stores not on the list) I'd say records here have got to be healthier than Sydney. Places have definitely gone, or moved to smaller premises, and I can't speak for what might've been ten years ago or so, but there's plenty around.
    Welcome spacefin!

Oddly enough I am working on a similar map. Would you mind sending me a picture?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X