X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ajantom
    replied
    Hi, used to post back in the Vinyl Vulture Days, then life in the form of relationship, house, retraining as a teacher, and other hobbies (mainly cycling) got in the way of my record buying. But, I've been going to a few fairs and chazzas recently, and rekindled the love especially for British Jazz.

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    I've still got the poster for the intergalactic space themed night I did with Bonnie and Al - where you there too?
    Wish I had been, there's nothing I like better than an intergalactic space themed night!

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    replied
    Originally posted by petehipwell View Post
    Yes, that's right!

Cheesy Al is sometimes to be found in the Disco Shed these days.
    Well I never, I do believe I was lucky enough to hear your particular blend of fromage a couple of times... happy times. Welcome aboard. Regards to Al, he might just about remember me, whatever shed he's in...

I've still got the poster for the intergalactic space themed night I did with Bonnie and Al - where you there too?

Leave a comment:

• Mondays Child
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero View Post
    You've spent the intervening years on a writing course? Or at elocution lessons? You've lost the accent! ...Anyway, hello.

And what's this about recording? Do tell...
    Hah! you noticed yeah, my girl didn't like all the cussing, even if it was good natured! and umpteen years 'down south' have rounded off the sharp edges.
    It's been a long time mate, I have been keeping an eye on things but the records took a back seat for a while as I had to prioritize the expenditure. Record purchases were drastically cut
    back for more expensive and desirable items. But the chazza's and boots were still fair game.
    So, I tended to go for areas which were very cheap and under investigated, for instance, UK Garage (the 90's 2Step stuff) was one area. I got a lot of good/great tunes of varying flavors and moods,
    and this is now throwing up some interesting collectables stuff like Crazy Baldheads 'First Born' which Four Tet/Kieran Hebden used on a recent Fabric mix, which I'd advise folks to check for it's psychedelic weirdness. Leapfrog forward to today when you have stuff like Burial (check the Massive Attack vs Burial 12) Fantastic Mr Fox, Mount Kimbie as a few well known examples of a more warped version of the 2 Step template.
    So I'd been playing acoustic guitar for years and a bit of electric, but never put anything down on tape.
    So I bought Logic for the Mac, I already had some hardware and a small room with some drums, guitars in it, and started knocking a few tunes around, mainly electronica type stuff.
    All over the shop from Hip Hop based to Ambient, Psych, House, Drone, more 'club' or 'beat' oriented stuff.
    This was a few years ago now, and since then It's been a real laugh/buzz/hobby thing which has led to some records on Styrax (German House/Techno label home of Rod Modell, BV Dub, Redshape, Ron Trent
    John Beltran et al) the now defunct HighPointLowlife, MJ Cole's Prolific label, Phuture Shock and lots of others, including some interest from Warp, but they didn't release anything in the end. I've been really lucky!
    Recently I've been concentrating on the acoustic guitar, English Folk fingerpicking and 'looping' techniques. My stuff sounds like a more acid soaked 'Camberwick Green' version of Bibio, and there's a mini LP out on Russian label Fuselab in August http://boomkat.com/downloads/539574-...es-and-ballads and maybe an LP for bespoke label Clay Pipe Recordings at some point.
    I got the obligatory Soundcloud thing here which changes monthly http://soundcloud.com/rooflight I'm always looking to work with vocalists and other producers, and equally glad when labels take an interest,
    it's kinda hard getting forward thinking ones to check out your music when you mention the words 'electronic' and 'Folk' in the same sentence!
    Still, it's all good and I'm currently working with a singer Katherine Priddy from the midlands who has a lovely voice (better than mine anyway) so I'll be adding vocals into the stew.
    Stands to reason I'll be shoving up some vinyl curio's for people to check out soon.
    Must say it's nice to be back and thank you for the welcome!

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    Loads of new people since June!

illiterati
    TommyB
    AudriaHardy
    Medicine Weasel
    blair_omnibus
    LostsoulCrusade
    Mondays Child
    petehipwell
    terry sharpe
    Make sure you post! Would love to see some finds and have some recommendations.

Leave a comment:

• terry sharpe
    replied
    hi my name is Terry i am 53
    i live near Birmingham
    my main interests are Black Sabbath vinyl on Vertigo
    i also like messing with computers
    and watching football on TV and supporting Man Utd

i am sure i will i enjoy it on here

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
    With "Cheesy Al" who had a partner called Bonnie?

Welcome anyhoo.
    Yes, that's right!

Cheesy Al is sometimes to be found in the Disco Shed these days.

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    replied
    Originally posted by petehipwell View Post
    Hello folks.

I first got into digging when I lived up in Edinburgh. Used to do a night called "La Fromagerie" there.
    With "Cheesy Al" who had a partner called Bonnie?

Welcome anyhoo.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    There's a blast from the past...

Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
    Hello.
    You've spent the intervening years on a writing course? Or at elocution lessons? You've lost the accent! ...Anyway, hello.

And what's this about recording? Do tell...

Leave a comment:

• Sonovox
    replied
    Hello folks.

My name is Pete Hipwell.

I live in Lancashire these days, but I first got into digging when I lived up in Edinburgh. Used to do a night called "La Fromagerie" there. Later, "Doctor Easy" in Hebden Bridge. Nice. Packed that in now, but still digging for new-old wild and wooly sounds.

I am precariously balanced on the line between "eclectic" and "undiscriminating" taste.

Intermittent reader of VG+ (and VV back in the day), thought it was time to join in the fun...

Leave a comment:

• Mondays Child
    replied
    Hello.

I used to be around here when it was the truly lovely Vinyl Vulture board, some of the old heads will know of my tales. That was a long time ago when I used to collect a lot of records.
    I collect less know because it drives my lady insane and I went away for a few years to do some responsible stuff like raise a family do the whole 'work' thing (ugh!) and make a few records myself.
    Vinyl always was an insanely enjoyable passion back when I didn't mind getting up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday to get wet in the rain at car boot sales, and spend Saturdays trawling round charity
    stores!
    So, I want to really say a big hello and share the love with a lot of the old crew like Sermad, Towny, Sie Vulture, Hadrian Elephant, Wooly (who's work as the Advisory Circle and other numerous
    aliases I hear from time to time when I'm doing my recording exploits) Jonny Trunk, Rich Hero, Lord Thames, Nick Cope and many other fine folk. And extend a greeting to the new crew.
    Always still check here from time to time when the weather permits, and of course I was shocked when I started doing some research on records (for the first time in a long while)
    to see the crazy prices that certain genres are fetching now.
    By heck, I remember when you could buy the first Forrest LP for a few quid and still have change left for the bus home....*cough*.....

Anyway, I do hope you are all well and good, and I'll try to chip in with some bits and bobs.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LostsoulCrusade
    replied
    Hi all, I'm Simon, aged 36, normally located in London but I'm spending a bit of time over in Australia at the moment as my wife hails from over this side of the world (NZ).
    Ended up here via a few internet searches for some Cherrystones comps and ended up perusing some of the magic thats been posted here.

I guess like a lot of people on here I've always had a slightly eclectic tastes. I wasn't in with the hip hop kids at school because I liked guitar music and visa versa. When I got to my late teens the music world exploded for me when I realised I didn't actually have to care what people thought anymore and I could just get into my own thing, which I did.

So from there to here I've discovered alot of magic and a few dead ends along the way. Krautrock, deep country, blues and gospel in a similar vein to the Alan Lomax field recordings, Louisianna soul, the laser guided saxophone of Pharaoh Sanders via Sun Ra and, well, alot more besides. Anyway, Hi all

Leave a comment:

• Medicine Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    Welcome.
    Nice choice of nomenclature.
    Guessing you've named yourself after the John Dummer Band track?
    In which case, I salute you.

Whereabouts in London are you?
    Why thank you sir - always had a soft spot for that track
    Basically anything with ridiculous amounts of repetition!
    Currently living in herne hill, what about yourself?

Leave a comment:

• blair_omnibus
    replied
    Long time listener, first time caller.

Know quite a few folks that post here & have always hovered around.

Done a few nights & been involved in a couple of bands between Glasgow & Carlisle.

All the best & cheers for all the great records I've heard through here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X