X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakartajive
    replied
    Originally posted by Medicine Weasel View Post
    Evening all - My name's Andy and I've recently moved to London from Manchester (hoping to make it to the next Brillo, would be good to meet some fellow vgplusers). Still struggling away in minimum wage jobs and spending the vast majority of income on records and occasional digging trips. This basically equates to buying great looking records that sound shit. Was inspired to start collecting 7's and spinning some tunes after a visit to Goffs basement in Chorlton. Find it tough to explain what I'm into so hoping my last 3 purchases will give you some idea....

Diabolic Man - Diabolic Man, Light Flight - Fantastic Ring, Brenton Wood - Psychotic Reaction.

Oh and I've also met Peter Sundae after a chance visit to Second Scene.

Cheers!
    Welcome.
    Nice choice of nomenclature.
    Guessing you've named yourself after the John Dummer Band track?
    In which case, I salute you.

Whereabouts in London are you?

Leave a comment:

• Medicine Weasel
    replied
    Thanks mate!

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    Welcome along mate, and judging by your last three purchase your gonna fit in nicely with the tastes on the board.

Leave a comment:

• Medicine Weasel
    replied
    Evening all - My name's Andy and I've recently moved to London from Manchester (hoping to make it to the next Brillo, would be good to meet some fellow vgplusers). Still struggling away in minimum wage jobs and spending the vast majority of income on records and occasional digging trips. This basically equates to buying great looking records that sound shit. Was inspired to start collecting 7's and spinning some tunes after a visit to Goffs basement in Chorlton. Find it tough to explain what I'm into so hoping my last 3 purchases will give you some idea....

Diabolic Man - Diabolic Man, Light Flight - Fantastic Ring, Brenton Wood - Psychotic Reaction.

Oh and I've also met Peter Sundae after a chance visit to Second Scene.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• AudriaHardy
    replied
    Hello folks,

It's nice to be a part of your forum.

I am not actually much of a music fan. The earliest musical memories I have are from the seventies - watching top of the Pops occasionally on TV. Most of the girls I went to school with were crazy about Donny Osmond or David Cassidy. I never saw the attraction - maybe you didn't either! The only lingering memories of my TOTP experience I have is of Noddy Holder and a band called Sweet. Why a strange little glam rock band should claim a permamanent place in my mental hard drive is a mystery to me. I don't know why I never really got into music, I just never did. So you might be wondering why I've joined a music forum.

Well, I found this place while looking for somewhere to put the music of my late husband, Farlan, who spent much of the latter part of his life writing, singing and recording music. He had no outlet for his music when he was alive and as the music is quite unusual it has been harder still to know quite how to make it known to people since he has died.

As you are a forum of people with a taste for the more unusual, I thought this might be a good place to start...

Audria

www.hardyculturalenterprises.com

Leave a comment:

• Hayes
    replied
    Originally posted by TommyB View Post
    Used to be part of a group of people who made a web zine called Benno, which evolved into a printed magazine, and we also booked some shows in the late '90s. That ended with a festival the summer of 2001.
    Benno! I heard some of your radio shows back in about 2000/2001, thought they were great then couldn't find them again later. I was really happy to find the Fint Tilsammans 10" you put out in Stockholm a few years later, good stuff. Nice that you've broken your silence here now.

Leave a comment:

• TommyB
    replied
    Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    Hi Tommy and how did you not find this place before!?!?
    Hehe, I've been hiding in the bushes for a couple of years, but thought it was finally time to take the next step. Considering the vast amount of knowledge on this forum, Idoubt that I can add much, but I'll do my best.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Hi Tommy and how did you not find this place before!?!?

Leave a comment:

• TommyB
    replied
    Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Welcome Tommy

Leave a comment:

• TommyB
    replied
    Hi!

First post, so please be gentle...

My name is Tommy.
    I'm 40+

I live in Stockholm, Sweden, so I used to run into wickerman-Jens every now and then, though not as often as before, because:

I became a father on March 19, 2009. Meaning my daughter was born the same day of the year as Ornette Coleman. (And some German nazis...)

Got into Swedish bands like Ratata and Lustans Lakejer in the early '80s, and then the Smiths and Sarah Records' bands followed. After that I guess I followed the standard indie route for a while.

Used to be part of a group of people who made a web zine called Benno, which evolved into a printed magazine, and we also booked some shows in the late '90s. That ended with a festival the summer of 2001.

In 2003 I started listening to Swedish free jazz saxophone player Mats Gustafsson, whom I have filmed numerous times since then. So nowadays I listen to quite a bit of free jazz. The latest 7" I bought was the reissue of "Einheitsfrontlied" by Brötzmann/van Hove/Bennink.

Apart from the genres mentioned above I, I'm all over the map. The music has to have good melodies, though (apart from the free jazz, obviously...). Riffs are the devil's music, not mine.

A friend of mine used to be jakartajive's flatmate.

Last record bought: The 2-LP reissue of Don Cherry's "Organic Music Society" (Bought an original in mint condition cheap way back when. Then one night not long after that, I managed to drag the pickup across the beginning of the first track so that it wasn't very mint any more. After that I couldn't listen to it again without felling pain, so very happy to see this reissued here in Sweden again.)

Cheers,
    Tommy

Leave a comment:

• illiterati
    replied
    Thanks muchly!

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    Welcome along Patrick, hope you enjoy the ride!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• illiterati
    replied
    Hello all,

My name is patrick, and my record collecting life began around when i stopped buying drum and bass records (2002ish). Like a lot of other people here, i began to appreciate the music i was buying which i would often hope to sample (blind purchases opened many doors).

Ive been lurking here for longer than my join date would indicate, and have until now put off posting here as im just terrified of ice breakers!

I mostly look for soulful jazz and easy listening/funk influence, but will always pick up spanish pop from 60s/70s when i see it. I would rather avoid posting a self indulgent list of all the areas i aim for so ill leave it at that for now.

Ive never been to a brillo, though i understand they are hosted in my town (london) and have only ever been to one record fair (pricey!), i try to avoid spending more than £5/£10 on an individual record, but ive made exceptions in the past.

In terms of occupation, I work for a company that makes a popular audio recognition app, which ironically wont recognise half my music!

Im introducing myself now as there have been quite a few occasions when ive had something worthwhile to add to other peoples threads (honest!) but i havnt as ive not done the right thing and said 'hello' here first

So, hello!

Leave a comment:

• relkeel
    replied
    Originally posted by PacificVibrations View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome from you all! At the moment I'm wombling around the UK again with my mate. Perhaps another one of you pluser's will catch the spectacle as did Fuz.

-babycart...your summary makes me want believe you were spying from across the street. Nice one!

-Fuz, yeah we're hitting hard! 340 some lp's, 120 or more 45s including a handful of the 60s Brit Girls high on my list! Sad that we aren't gonna get a chance to see you however the records gods seem to be treating us well.

-Lee, see you in a bit mate!
    Welcome matey. We met briefly at the Leeds record fair yesterday, hope you have a hassle free journey home.

John.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X