X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakartajive
    replied
    Originally posted by Manicminer View Post
    Another lurker on the forum, so it's high time I introduced myself.

I am an avid collector of UK 60s psych, preferably on vinyl.

My current holy grail is to find a copy of "I can't face the Animals" by Roger Earl Okin.

Really enjoying the discussions on this forum and I have learnt a lot since joining.

Manicminer
    Welcome!!

You are in good company.
    Though not the only person here after that Roger Earl Okin 45!!

I'm also very big on my UK psych, within price limits, of course.

Where you based?
    UK?

Leave a comment:

• Manicminer
    replied
    Hello Peeps

Another lurker on the forum, so it's high time I introduced myself.

I am an avid collector of UK 60s psych, preferably on vinyl.

My current holy grail is to find a copy of "I can't face the Animals" by Roger Earl Okin.

Really enjoying the discussions on this forum and I have learnt a lot since joining.

Manicminer

Leave a comment:

• eine
    replied
    RJS, welcome, VG+ is on your trajectory, although take heed, for participation may bring about your ruin.

I obsessively collected records when I was younger. Then I stopped listening or caring about either records or music for reasons which shall remain hidden.

When music sharing started off I got tickled back into listening online - gravitating towards my old tastes. Which brought me, through various internet searches and blogs (esp. nlgbbbbbth's Spiral), to this board.

I lurked for a good while. And then I thought... fuck it. I'm going to buy a record player. The old collection was exhumed. And now I'm mired in the whole damn thing again - it's 10am and I'm listening to Cranium Pie!

It sounds as if you have sound life reasons not to buy vinyl... but honestly, tread carefully here as the lust will inevitably seep in!

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    Welcome along mate, no need for the CD shame, you seem to have great taste which is shared by many on the board, and thats the most important thing the music, I'm sure you'll fit in just nicely.

Leave a comment:

• RJS
    replied
    I've been a lurker here with the occasional post. I don't know if its allowed on this forum, but I don't actually own any vinyl whatsoever. My job involves moving around every 2-3 years, and CDs are more manageable. Interests include Turkish psych (I lived in Ankara for three years - it really is dull compared to the real capital of Turkey) and far out 60s/70s global sounds (except Afro-Funk) so, I'm obviously an obsessive FK collector amongst others.

This may be my last post here given the my vinyl-less shame - I expect that I'll now be banned. It was a blast. Regards, RJS.

Leave a comment:

• Jamo
    replied
    Originally posted by lord dunsby View Post
    been on here a while and vv before that but never posted much ... and aware that though i'm known to a few of you, thought it only polite to introduce meself proper like.

i'm an illustrator/designer originally from horwich lancashire

I have to say I'm really impressed with what I have seen of your art work over the years

Leave a comment:

• SARGE
    replied
    been on here a while and vv before that but never posted much ... and aware that though i'm known to a few of you, thought it only polite to introduce meself proper like.

i'm an illustrator/designer originally from horwich lancashire but now live with my lovely missus and 4 year old son in the fine city of sheffield, love me vinyl ... anything jazz and boogaloo, club soul ... but my true love is psych, soundtracks, library, 60's/70's left of field pop ... must have a decent beat and a groove with an added pinch of quirkiness, don't usually spend a great deal on me tunes ... mostly picking up stuff for 25p/£2 ish from jumble sales and chazzers ... one of the biggest buzzes in life is to find a 25p slice of genius that's laid unloved for 45 years and playing it to people that you know will appreciate it's true worth.

fave threads are the BIN thread and finds ... good stuff!

i'll be DJing this weekend at the washington sheffield on sunday with mr b hatton ... from 3pm.

Sir!

Leave a comment:

• morghini
    replied
    lord dunsby

i'm an illustrator/designer originally from horwich lancashire but now live with my lovely missus and 4 year old son in the fine city of sheffield, love me vinyl ... anything jazz and boogaloo, club soul ... but my true love is psych, soundtracks, library, 60's/70's left of field pop ... must have a decent beat and a groove with an added pinch of quirkiness, don't usually spend a great deal on me tunes ... mostly picking up stuff for 25p/£2 ish from jumble sales and chazzers ... one of the biggest buzzes in life is to find a 25p slice of genius that's laid unloved for 45 years and playing it to people that you know will appreciate it's true worth.
    Your music tastes are just about exactly the same as mine

Was Sheffield based myself for 4 years ('92-'96) before moving to Leeds & then settling just outside of Hull about 11 years ago. Fond memories of the place but its a different world now I visit it, so much development its really come on leaps & bounds. Hopefully the music scene has too where the music you mention can be played (unlike over here)

Leave a comment:

• AlanP
    replied
    hey Agnes, would you be interested in New Zealand comedy albums?

they turn up a lot for bugger all.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Originally posted by RobLilley View Post
    I collect mainly Soundtracks and Comedy items, from the 50s to Current day
    We need to get together and discuss things! I think if we plan correctly we can defeat our evil music-loving overlords.

Leave a comment:

• lord dunsby
    replied

fave threads are the BIN thread and finds ... good stuff!

i'll be DJing this weekend at the washington sheffield on sunday with mr b hatton ... from 3pm.

Leave a comment:

• Sie-Fly
    replied
    Welcome Rob - enjoy the journey !

Leave a comment:

• RobLilley
    replied
    Hello

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself

I'm Rob, been collecting for years, .....

I found this site through a random Google search

I collect mainly Soundtracks and Comedy items, from the 50s to Current day

Always looking for weird and wonderful records, both rare and not so rare

Hope can find some stuff here

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    Originally posted by Boursin View Post
    Hello,

Well, not much to tell about me, really. I'm one of the few Finns here, living in Helsinki, and I have been digging for two thirds of my life, since 1987 (when I was only 12). I used to be a pretty straight fan of '50s rock 'n' roll and '60s beat and soul, but recently I seem to have mellowed and started to consume increasingly large amounts of the Now Sound / library / Instro-Hipsters kind of stuff.

I guess it's the onset of middle age that has made me warm to the Arthur Greenslades and Cyril Stapletons of this world, but much more broadly speaking I have in fact expanded my interests over the past decade to cover just about anything post-war and pre-1973 or so. Being a lifelong Anglophile has also helped.

I'm not a vinyl purist, will often settle for a digital format if it's the easiest route (and also due to lack of space, and I'm too lazy to work enough to afford a bigger flat).

I've been hitting this forum since VV days when googling various things, but somehow I never got around to signing up until last July, and it has taken me another nine months to gather the courage to post anything. You do seem like a friendly bunch of people, I'm just terribly shy.
    Welcome Boursin.
    Hope you'll be happy here.

I read your post above and just wondered what on earth it must feel like to speak / write a second language quite as competently as you do. I can only dream of such proficiency in my second language - and salute you!

Good to have more non-Brits here and good to have someone from a 60s beat / soul / rock'n'roll angle too!

Oh and middle-age seems to start early in Finland.
    Here, it doesn't seem to begin until 56!

Leave a comment:

• cooksferry
    replied
    Cooksferry, named after a Richard Thompson song, first thing that came to mind many years ago registering for some site or other and stuck with it since.
    Purchased my first lp in 1963/4(memory isnt too hot)by the Rolling Stones, which I still have. Sold off most of my lps in the mid 80s when family and mortgage needed money. That included lots of 60s blues reissues that it would be nice to have back, but kept Son House, the master.
    Got back into music in the late 90s through some listening sessions and much red wine with a friend and have slowly rebuilt a hifi setup and cd/lp collection. The last few years I've mainly concentrated on vinyl re-releases or the odd original when I can get them at a reasonable price.

My collection covers a few bases but major number of releases from Will Oldham(in various guises), Richard Thompson,Neil Young (nothing after Sleeps with Angels),John Martyn,Dave Alvin, Tom Russell , Martin Simpson etc.
    I have managed to regather all the lps that were important to me in my teens from the Jefferson Airplane to Fairport Convention as well as some of the fine 60s Elektra releases that I treasured. Now my concentration is mainly on so called indie/americana, latest project gathering up Giant Sand records.

I love the physical aspect of a collection and have a terrible attraction to bling bling box sets.

Married in the Hamstead Registry office 34 years ago, 2 adult children and now buried at the bottom of the world which I find hard to reconcile as I'm sure the planet is flat.
    Too many Discworld novels.

Finally thanks to this forum for giving me a chance to air my thoughts during the Trader Horne episode and the various members who responded to my pms.
    Last edited by cooksferry; 31-03-2011, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X