X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by rusty sheriff View Post
    Of late I've gotten into Eastern Europe sounds, digging around the Polish funk end of things and will be hitting the streets of Krakow and Warsaw over the next 10 days - you all know the gems. If my lurking has taught me anything its to be nice to Piotr in 'High Fidelity', Krakow!!

Rusty
    Willkommen Rusty. You'll be knocking back the Krupnik then. One of our kids is in Poland just now. Could I get him to hunt for records for me? Of course not. Just wait until he next asks where his socks are.

Leave a comment:

• rusty sheriff
    replied
    So after 12 years of periodic lurking, I felt I should contribute, stop 'taking' and give a little!

I'm Rusty, near enough 40, from Portsmouth, UK. I'm a keen collector, that started before getting into hunting for samples, and formally a vinyl DJ which stopped when I ran out of stamina for the late nights and drunken youths... (Although I would be keen to get back into it for the right audience).

Of late I've gotten into Eastern Europe sounds, digging around the Polish funk end of things and will be hitting the streets of Krakow and Warsaw over the next 10 days - you all know the gems. If my lurking has taught me anything its to be nice to Piotr in 'High Fidelity', Krakow!!

Anyway, thought I'd say hello before wading into conversation, thanks for the years of information.

Rusty

Leave a comment:

• Branko24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Branko24 View Post
    Hi all,

My name is Branko, I'm 35 year-old civil engineer

You're 35; try not to rub it in!

Leave a comment:

• Branko24
    replied
    Hi all,

My name is Branko, I'm 35 year-old civil engineer and 3D modeler from Bosnia. Into music from an early age and always broadening the scope, so now I'm into all kinds of stuff - soul/ disco/ funk/ hip-hop / psych/ rock/ prog/ jazz/ fusion/ metal/ avantgarde/ experimental/ synth/ new wave/ psychobilly/ surf/ electronica. Pretty sure I've left something out, but you'll have to excuse me, because I'm yet to buy my first record, as my daily job and my kid let me enjoy the music only during the commute. For various reasons, my collecting still is really not a collecting, but I love music too damn much not to start anytime

I found about the forum while looking into a Martin Lovegrove interview, and got immediately interested. Maybe it's the forum nostalgia thingy, but I like it here

Personally, I'm into visual arts, 3D modelling and all kinds of different media, so feel free to contact me, because I'd really like to contribute in any way. I will be updating my IG page, so you can check it out and see if there's anything you might like.

https://www.instagram.com/brankobaltic/?hl=hr

https://www.mixcloud.com/branko24/groovin-mix/

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Welcome Ollie

Get stuck in as soon as you can as you'll find people here generous with information and occasionally with vinyl too. (You'll have to post a certain amount, maybe 30 or 50 posts to take part in the freebies).

Start a few threads and enjoy yourself!

Turbo

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    Yeah welcome Ollie , from your other post in the CSC thread gather your from Bmth , me too mate

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Welcome Ollie! Quite a few of us here first got interested in records via hip hop and sampling...

Leave a comment:

• bigfatolly71
    replied
    My name is Ollie,I live on the South Coast and I'm a Painter and Decorator.

I was always fascinated by my dad's record collection when I was younger and was always looking at them and reading liner notes etc.

Then in my teen years hip hop exploded into the UK and I was hooked,I first bought Streetsounds Electro tapes ,then my parents bought me a second hand record player ,so I started buying vinyl,I think the first twelve I bought was "The Show" by Doug E Fresh,this was around 85/86.

Like loads of teens my age around this time I was buying all the latest hip hop as it came out,the years 86-90 were when the best stuff came out in my opinion,and I still collect stuff of this era today.

Ive dipped in and out of collecting over the years depending on disposable income but it's always something I think about,whenever I'm in a different town I always look for a record shop or dip in the Chazzers.

So my main collecting focus is eighties hip hop but it's hard to find the stuff I want at good prices now,so I have expanded my collecting interests to soul and funk and jazz funk 45s with breaks and samples on,I've had good success finding stuff at record fairs ,shops etc and I've amassed quite a good collection in a short amount of time.Obviously Discogs is a good source for these but I do prefer real life digging,even if it doesn't yield much in my home town.

I do buy reissues but much prefer if I can find the OG if I can.

Anyway,enough about me,I'll try and post when I can,and if I find anything of interest.

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Yep get stuck in mate, welcome! Bucketloads of info here, pity 'photobucket' have destroyed half the pics but the knowledge thrives.

Originally posted by dunderhead View Post
    ahoi there. new mid 30s member from Cork, Ireland. didn't know of this forum until I searched for a Trunk comp called Felt Folk earlier and a thread from here popped up. Musical tastes vary greatly depending on the day. Love me a bit of rock and all strands of it, electronic/ambient, folk, soul/funk. anything really. recently have been buying a lot of swedish progg. something I became aware of through discovering Pugh Rogefeldt's Ja Da A Da album a couple of years back. Just spent the evening scanning through bits of the forum. some plenty of good learning to be had here hopefully. Will hopefully be able contribute something worthwhile here and there..

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Welcome dunderhead.
    Get stuck in and start a few threads.
    It can be a bit sleepy around here, so make a racket!
    Turbo

Leave a comment:

• dunderhead
    replied
    ahoi there. new mid 30s member from Cork, Ireland. didn't know of this forum until I searched for a Trunk comp called Felt Folk earlier and a thread from here popped up. Musical tastes vary greatly depending on the day. Love me a bit of rock and all strands of it, electronic/ambient, folk, soul/funk. anything really. recently have been buying a lot of swedish progg. something I became aware of through discovering Pugh Rogefeldt's Ja Da A Da album a couple of years back. Just spent the evening scanning through bits of the forum. some plenty of good learning to be had here hopefully. Will hopefully be able contribute something worthwhile here and there..

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    replied
    Originally posted by AlanPee View Post
    Huzzah, I'm back again. Was posting as AlanP, but a redundancy and mental block meant my password went west and...anyway, it's a long story. Had a grand year in 2017, a mate and I put out a comp, Heed the Call, of NZ funk and disco from the 70s to early 80s. It went mental, with 1500 LPs and 2000 CDs all gone - there may be a couple still floating around the UK, but it's hen's teeth in these parts and sparked an odd drive among some to obtain all the OG versions. Now working on Vol 2 and an accompanying gig from the bigger singers/ bands. Good times.
    Also, apologies for the new name, I kinda ran with it before stepping back for a looksee.
    Dude!

Just noticed this post - welcome back.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Stir it up!

Leave a comment:

• amidar
    replied
    Yep welcome back Alan, I like the name, you're stuck with it now!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X