100 greatest brit lps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 greatest brit lps

Bit after the event, but did anyone else check out the Observer’s ‘definitive poll' of The 100 Greatest British Albums on Sunday? Weird list, in some ways – maybe because the restriction to ‘British’ distorts it – but nice to see Fairport’s ‘Unhalfbricking’, Vashti Bunyan’s ‘Diamond Day’, Pentangle’s ‘Basket Of Light’ and John Martyn’s ‘Solid Air’ getting props, amid the predictable emphasis on Beatles, Bowie, Led Zep, Oasis, Stone Roses, Rolling Stones etc.

Personally, I’d have liked to see St Etienne, Stereolab, Boards Of Canada & Broadcast in there, at least, and the absence of ‘Odyssey & Oracle’ is downright odd.

But my real question is what youÂ’d add, especially from the UK black music scene. ItÂ’s been bugging me that this seemed hugely under-represented, but whenever I try to think of albums that could be added, nothing much comes to mindÂ…

Most of the obvious ones, like Massive Attack, Soul II Soul, Young Disciples, ‘Maxinquaye’ etc are there, alongside soul influenced stuff like ‘Dusty In Memphis’and the first Dexy’s LP, The Specials, PIL and Slits from the reggae end (along with Steel Pulse) etc.

Is the best soul/funk/disco/hip hop etc ALL non-British in origin, or just a genre that does great singles but not consistently great long-players (in the UK, at least - there are more US/European classic albums in these genres than I can count)? Why no jazz, or anything from the Blues end of the spectrum – just out of fashion, maybe, or not known enough to the mainstream? Thought of people like Linton Kwesi Johnson, too, but not sure his LPs have stood up too well to the passing years…

Dunno, really – just rambling, and interested to know what folks on here reckon - are there great British Soul/Funk etc LPs out there that 100 bigwigs from the industry ought to have known about, or not?
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Well. i was on the panel, and heres my list of ten.
    didnt see the paper but,i bet none of the above (below) made the page.

THIS NATIONS SAVING GRACE - THE FALL
    BEGGARS BANQUET - 1985.

AN ELECTRIC STORM - WHITE NOISE
    ISLAND - 1969

THE KILLER ALBUM - RUTHLESS RAP ASSASSINS
    SYNCOPATE - 1990

THE WICKERMAN - PAUL GIOVANI AND MAGNET (AKA LOADSTONE).
    SILVER SCREEN 2002 / TRUNK RECORDS 2000

NICE TO MEET MISS CHRISTINE - CHRIS HARWOOD
    BIRTH - 1970

HA HA SOUND - BROADCAST
    WARP - 2003

ON THE SHORE - TREES
    CBS - 1970

EGG - EGG
    DERAM NOVA - 1970

BLACK SABBATH - BLACK SABBATH
    VERTIGO - 1970

CRYSTAL TELEPHONE - TERRY DURHAM
    DERAM - 1969
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Someone (not me) needs to organise one of those that isn't dominated by white guys with guitars playing rock based music. I couldn't even be bothered to check out this one. Actually I did glance at the top ten. Usual suspects and then the classic token inclusion which this time was 'Blue Lines'. I can imagine them sat there thinking 'Shit!! The whole top ten is rock. Bung a few more votes on Massive Attack. Move it up to number ten. No. Wait. That would look too obvious. Number nine.'

Not sure what I'd bung in there. Ten cups of tea and my brain should just about be functioning enought to come up with a small but adequate list most of which will probably white guys playing rock based guitar music. Nah!!

Comment

It was a fairly predictable 'list'. I don't know why magazines are so obsessed with making something THE BEST LP IN THE WORLD EVER! Bollocks to that!

Oh. 6Music want to know the best OST. I suggest we bombard with giallo classics just to freak them out.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 22 2004,05:17)]Well. i was on the panel, and heres my list of ten.
          didnt see the paper but,i bet none of the above (below) made the page.
          Mr V, that should&#39;ve been the top 10&#33; If I remember right, The Fall and Sabbath made the low end cut...but &#39;Wicker Man&#39; is sort of what I mean by the &#39;British&#39; tag distorting it - it&#39;s possibly one of the most British albums ever released, but does it actually count, when Paul Giovanni is American? I was surprised at the allocation of Hendrix&#39;s first two LPs to America, given that despite JH being American, everything else about them is basically British...management, Mitchell/Redding, recording...

But I suppose I was making allowances for the nature of these things - there are definitely loads of folk, psych &amp; easy LPs that I (and many on this board) would put in, but by and large they&#39;re not things your average panellist would have heard of...

Maybe Blighty&#39;s right - anyone up for a Vinyl Vulture 100? Mr V&#39;s ten for your starter...and I&#39;ll add:

Pulp - &#39;Different Class&#39;

Stereolab - &#39;Emperor Tomato Ketchup&#39;

BBC Radiophonic Workshop - &#39;BBC Radiophonic Music&#39; (pink LP)

Boards Of Canada - &#39;Music Has The Right To Children&#39;

Dead Can Dance - &#39;Aion&#39;

John Cameron - &#39;Kes&#39;

...and lots of others.
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

the mag was full of typo errors too&#33; getting some &quot;stars choices&quot; back to front,
            title:artist and artist:title back to front, in Terry Halls case, his choice printed twice.
            For Robert Wyatt they didn&#39;t print the cover of his LP, just
            an old pic of him drumming, while the article stated he could
            no longer drum on his records since his accident...
            &#33;
            The back page collage of the lps featured 2 of them twice,
            The Kinks had the wrong cover with one of their lps and the whole thing just smacked
            of a lame idea poorly hobbled together. AND it had the fuckin Stone Roses at #1&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; ha,
            I suppose we should be grateful it wasn&#39;t the bloody Libertines&#33;
            no Julian Cope, Scott Walker, XTC or Wire, SFA it was just hamster cage fodder really.
            The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Well, it&#39;s yer LPs innit? LPs generally mean white/rock/60s/70s, which is why the poll had little past 1979 (Smiths excluded).

Bowie and the Beatles were OK I guess, but it was very disappointing to see the individual top 10s having so many of these safe choices. The chap out of Belle and Sebastien was spot on though, he picked two Felt lps (although no surprise there I guess on his part).

I&#39;d have Stereolab, Soft Cell, Shack, St Etienne, Sabres - and that&#39;s just the Ss...

But again, how many of us go for LP&#39;s (as in the whole thing)these days? Maybe it&#39;s just me, but I view music as tracks I like, and they can be by anyone (OK, big holes in that last point, so don&#39;t give me exceptions...)

Enough white male lists&#33;
              Now this!

Comment

Isn&#39;t everything just loads of lists nowadays, or is it just me?. Those bloody awfull &#39;top 100 sporting impediment disaters &#39; type programmes clogging up channel four on a regular basis. Every magazine and newspaper running a &#39;top 10&#39; of some sort. Could this just be a huge fookin&#39; void of ideas on behalf of writers and programme schedulers?. Heaven forbid.
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

Wayne mentioned the British black music scene, and this got me thinking - is Geoff Love Britain&#39;s most successful black musician? Going by LP sales, he must be in the top ten, surely?

Slightly more seriously, Black Velvet are a bit good.......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ June 23 2004,23:49)]Wayne mentioned the British black music scene, and this got me thinking - is Geoff Love Britain&#39;s most successful black musician? Going by LP sales, he must be in the top ten, surely?

Slightly more seriously, Black Velvet are a bit good.......
                    I&#39;d have thought The Real Thing, Heatwave and Hot Chocolate have racked up some reasonable sales over the years.

Thinking about it, there were a number of black UK bands that managed to crack the charts off the back of the Britfunk thing in the early 80&#39;s such as Lynx, but nobody really came through off Hip Hop or House.

Anybody think of any? If all we come up with is the Wee Papa Girl Rappers then that will be a bad show&#33;

I&#39;m thinking of acts that charted a few times rather than one hit wonders.
                    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

No mention of Cymande yet?
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Imagination, The Equals, Roni Size, Goldie...all trailblazers. You can pick them at will if you think about it.
                        Now this!

Comment

Oh, only the last two resulted recently...but still worthy black British mentions
                          Now this!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ June 24 2004,13:19)]Thinking about it, there were a number of black UK bands that managed to crack the charts off the back of the Britfunk thing in the early 80&#39;s such as Lynx, but nobody really came through off Hip Hop or House.
                            Soul II Soul ?
                            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (wayne @ June 23 2004,02:12)]Most of the obvious ones, like Massive Attack, Soul II Soul, Young Disciples, ‘Maxinquaye’ etc are there, alongside soul influenced stuff like ‘Dusty In Memphis’and the first Dexy’s LP, The Specials, PIL and Slits from the reggae end (along with Steel Pulse) etc.
                              Soul II Soul - I thought of them too (and then checked back).  
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X