Dustygroove and daktaris question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dustygroove and daktaris question

was planning on ordering a few things from Dustygroove, and just noticed the high postage costs to the UK. i've never ordered from DG before - have they always been that high? is there some reason why they can't use the USPS to send to the UK?

alternatively anyone know anywhere in the UK with the repressed Daktaris LP in stock? (and is it worth getting? passed on it when it came out but never heard it)

You also get stung for import duty from anything from DG. Best thing is to get a us guy to buy it and post it over that way.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

If you&#39;re into afrofunk then The Daktaris album is worth getting as it&#39;s pretty strong throughout. I actually prefer it to their latter output as Antibalas (they have a new LP out - any good?).

I have bought off Dustygroove in the past and never been concerned with the postage as the pound/dollar ratio has alway been good. Maybe their postage calculations have changed.

Selectadisc is worth a look to see if they have it.
      records - one a week mixcloud
      records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ June 23 2004,11:26)]If you&#39;re into afrofunk then The Daktaris album is worth getting as it&#39;s pretty strong throughout. I actually prefer it to their latter output as Antibalas (they have a new LP out - any good?).

I have bought off Dustygroove in the past and never been concerned with the postage as the pound/dollar ratio has alway been good. Maybe their postage calculations have changed.

Selectadisc is worth a look to see if they have it.
        Import duty with customs kicks in around the £20/25 mark I think.

If you ask DG nicely they put an invoice in with very low prices showing - to come under the &quot;limit&quot; overall

Postage costs are fair if you take the lowest option and normally these come through fairly quickly. When you&#39;re buying some of the LPs at &#036;8.99 - even with postage it&#39;s still cheaper than some UK shops charging £13/14 a pop for the same thing...

Comment

the import tax is VAT and is supposed to come in at 18 quid if i remember, but maybe they ignore things slightly over.
          do you mean the International Economy rate (&#036;8 for 1 LP) as the lowest? i thought surface mail was to be avoided but that sounds alright if it&#39;s reliable.

the other rates they offer to the UK are &#036;19 for UPS and &#036;24 DHL/International Express (for 1 LP)

will probably buy it anyway, but just feeling skint and grumpy because am currently waiting on about 5 Ebay parcels, one supposedly posted about 6 weeks ago. grr&#33;

Comment

I sometimes catch up on batches of new funk 45s through Dusty Groove. Despite many of them coming from Europe and the UK, the exchange rate means that I can get one 45 free with every four or five I buy, compared to buying from a UK shop, and that includes the postage...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

It&#39;s really odd that USPS airmail has disappeared from the available shipping options. Maybe you should call them.
              When I was living in the UK I always used them and as people said above, even with shipping charges they used to beat all UK retailers. Also, I can confirm that they (used to) print &quot;special&quot; shipping invoices.

Comment

I think Ernie B. is the only shop in US who is shipping everything on flat rates (same shipping costs for every order) and they even take care of the import tax by shipping records over to UK and send those inside Europe to clear the import tax problem from customers viewpoint.

Well, Ernie B. is just all about Jamaican stuff with reasonable prices and it was even better last winter when US dollar was so low in currency.

It would be nice to see some other US 45-jazz-soul-funk-ost-what-so-ever-shop doing the same thing with shipping.

Comment

Sending those inside Europe eh? So how does that work? Is it like sending records to a depot in Europe, where they&#39;re sent again from there to the UK?
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

They repressed the Daktaris?

is this on Desco then?

I thought they shut down

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ June 24 2004,11:44)]They repressed the Daktaris?

is this on Desco then?

I thought they shut down
                      FG, don&#39;t you read Soulstrut anymore ?

Neal / Daptone has repressed 800 pieces though there are some people who claim that this was to fill an overstock of empty covers they had.... Which I think is rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ June 24 2004,10:51)]Sending those inside Europe eh? So how does that work? Is it like sending records to a depot in Europe, where they&#39;re sent again from there to the UK?
                        They are basicly shipping records to UK and then shipping those forward to customer where ever he/she live in UK or other place in Europe.

For example, when I have ordered stuff to Finland. They first ship those to England and then again to Finland. And it costs like 16 US dollars/shipment and it doesn&#39;t matter how many records are in it. Last time I was in group order of over 60 records and shipping was 16 dollars for all of those.

And because there isn&#39;t any import tax inside European Union that&#39;s it. Nothing more

--
                        Here&#39;s the release about this:

Dear All Customers in the EUROPEAN UNION,

This e-mail is for all customers in Austria, Belgium, Channel Islands, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, Wales.

Starting now, all of your orders will be delivered to you DUTY/TAXES FREE&#33; Ernie B&#39;s Reggae is paying the duty/taxes on your orders, so you don&#39;t have to. Here is how it will work:

Place your orders as you always do on our web-site. You do not have to do anything different. We will ship your order to London, England, using Federal Express. Your goods will arrive in London in 48 hours. Then, the Ernie B&#39;s Reggae Fulfillment Center in London will immediately send the order to you using British Post. This means that since the goods are coming from England to you, there will be no import duty. Ernie B&#39;s Reggae will pay the import duty when the goods arrive in London. This will raise our costs a lot, however we feel that the increase in orders from our customers in Europe will make up for this added cost.

We are not charging our customers more for this service. This shipping charge remains the same flat rate as always&#33;

This new shipping method means that you will get your goods extremely fast. We estimate about 4 to 6 days each time&#33; Also, there will be no customs delays since there is no duty payment due.

We hope you enjoy the new shipping arrangements.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Ernie Boetius
                        President &amp; CFO
                        Ernie B&#39;s Reggae Distribution, Inc.

Ernie B&#39;s Reggae Distribution
                        &quot;The World&#39;s Leading Supplier of Reggae Music&quot;
                        CD, LP, 7&quot;, 10&quot;, 12&quot;, DVD, VHS &amp; more

E-mail: [email protected]
                        Phone: 866.496.5474 (toll-free) Fax: 866.496.5475 (toll-free)
                        Phone: 916.941.1921 Fax: 916.941.1987

Ernie B&#39;s Reggae Distribution, Inc.
                        P.O. Box 5019
                        El Dorado Hills, CA 95762

Comment

turntablelab&#39;s got the daktaris&#39;s in, and there is an announcement about cheaper shipping to the UK on the front page.

Comment

I&#39;ve ordered a couple of parcels recently, if your ordering a few items then the postage isn&#39;t as high.
                            I used the &quot;international economy&quot; and didn&#39;t pay import duty, but when i used &quot;UPS&quot; i got stung for the duty.
                            They also sent the reciept with prices on a lot lower than they were without me even asking&#33;

Again with the &#036; being so low it still works out cheeper than the UK&#33; + postage on the 45&#39;s is really low.
                            http://www.facebook.com/weekendsun
                            http://soundcloud.com/weekend-sun
                            http://www.myspace.com/weekendsun

Comment

well i forgot to order it from either Dustygroove or Turntable Lab but found the Daptone site itself yesterday which has it for &#036;20 including postage to the UK. unfortunately they don&#39;t reduce postage for multiple items, but i guess they might if you email them.

now to see if they still have copies...

Comment

Working...
                              X