Rodriguez Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodriguez Live

Is he still any good*? Should i go see him tomorrow?

* I know there are those that don't think he ever was. Feel free to ignore this.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    Feel free to ignore this.
    Ta!

Why not ask Pitch?
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

'cos he hasn't been yet.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

....and I don't want to know that it's gonna be shit
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
          ....and I don't want to know that it's gonna be shit
          Tempting - only 15 euros to ruin your warm, fuzzy, pre-gig glow.

He's gotta be better than the toots & The Maytals gig I had the misfortune to see a few nights ago (not my idea and I didn't pay for it).

I hear Steve Malkmus is a big Rodqiguez fan though.

John Peel

Comment

Tempting - only 15 euros to ruin your warm, fuzzy, pre-gig glow.

He's gotta be better than the toots & The Maytals gig I had the misfortune to see a few nights ago (not my idea and I didn't pay for it).

I hear Steve Malkmus is a big Rodqiguez fan though.

I saw Antony & the Johnsons the other night - they were bloody marvellous - especially when they went all jazz.... Rodriguez won't be that good, I fear.

Good run of gigs coming up:
            Rodriguez
            Comus
            Yoko Ono
            Neil Young
            Ute Lemper

Varied to say the least!

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

I saw Antony & the Johnsons the other night - they were bloody marvellous - especially when they went all jazz.... Rodriguez won't be that good, I fear.

Good run of gigs coming up:
              Rodriguez
              Comus
              Yoko Ono
              Neil Young
              Ute Lemper

Varied to say the least!
              Oldarses the lot of them. You need to go to see some hot young new sensations.

John Peel

Comment

Oldarses the lot of them. You need to go to see some hot young new sensations.
                True.... same gigs..... let's try this:

Fujiya & Miyagi (+ Matthew Herbert DJ set)
                Burial Hex & Kinit Her
                Cornelius
                Fleet Foxes
                and...err.... Ute Lemper

is that better?

Comment

True.... same gigs..... let's try this:

Fujiya & Miyagi (+ Matthew Herbert DJ set)
                  Burial Hex & Kinit Her
                  Cornelius
                  Fleet Foxes
                  and...err.... Ute Lemper

is that better?
                  Old(ish)arses.

Fleet Foxes are spiritually old.

John Peel

Comment

OK the bad points of Rodriguez live last night are that the guitar player is a bit of a poser.

Other than that

John Peel

Comment

OK the bad points of Rodriguez live last night are that the guitar player is a bit of a poser.

Other than that
                      That guitarist did kind of think he was the main focus didn't he!! But it was a great gig. Rodriguez seemed frail (or partially blind - a rumour that has occasionally surfaced), as he was helped to the centre of the stage - but once there seemed fine. Played most of the Cold Fact album and I assume tracks from the second album (that I don't know). The band was tight - organist brilliant and the brass section used sparsely, but effectively. The sound mix was perfect and everyone could enjoy hearing those very Dylanesque turns of phrase.

What was really weird/surreal/uplifting was the the audience response - I knew he had success in the late seventies and through the 80s in Australia and later South Africa. But I didn't realise just what a legend and hero he must be over there. The audience was full of adoring fans - screaming at Rodriguez and joining in on just about every song. They loved him.

The standing ovations started well before the end, and everyone was standing and lots of dancing in the aisles at the Barbican. For those 2 hours he was a god!

Comment

That guitarist did kind of think he was the main focus didn't he!! But it was a great gig. Rodriguez seemed frail (or partially blind - a rumour that has occasionally surfaced), as he was helped to the centre of the stage - but once there seemed fine. Played most of the Cold Fact album and I assume tracks from the second album (that I don't know). The band was tight - organist brilliant and the brass section used sparsely, but effectively. The sound mix was perfect and everyone could enjoy hearing those very Dylanesque turns of phrase.

What was really weird/surreal/uplifting was the the audience response - I knew he had success in the late seventies and through the 80s in Australia and later South Africa. But I didn't realise just what a legend and hero he must be over there. The audience was full of adoring fans - screaming at Rodriguez and joining in on just about every song. They loved him.

The standing ovations started well before the end, and everyone was standing and lots of dancing in the aisles at the Barbican. For those 2 hours he was a god!
                        Brass!! 2 Hours!! Sounds like you got an even better gig. Though the Dublin one was almost certainly more small and intimate. I was well pleased anyway. Gig of the year - possibly.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                        X