DJ Nobody - Spirits of Heat & Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Nobody - Spirits of Heat & Fire

DISCLAIMER: I know this isn't the right place for the posting of audio linkages. The reason I'm putting it here is that I want to ask about the artists on the tracklist - the audio is merely to help if needed (and as an added bonus, if anyone doesn't already have it)

To save clicking, I reposted here in its entirety, but the original post can be found on dublab.com, here:

http://radio.dublab.com/2007/10/

DJ NOBODY - SPIRITS OF HEAT AND FIRE - HALLOWEEN MIX 2007

http://www.dublab.com/audio/podcast/nobody_halloween_mix_2007.mp3

BONZO DOG BAND - NOISES FOR THE LEG
    LARRYS REBELS - HALLOWEEN
    DE MASKERS - DEATH
    JASON CREST - BLACK MASS
    JOHN WONDERLING - MAN OF STRAW
    MOTHER'S SUNDAY - NIGHT AT THE GRAVEYARD
    THE TROLL - WEREWOLF AND WITCHBREATH (/ SPIRITS OF THE DEEP)
    THE ALAN BOWN - THE PRISONER
    THE RATTLES - THE WITCH
    FAMILY - JOURNEY
    JOE BYRD & THE FIELD HIPPIES - YOU CAN NEVER COME DOWN
    WHITE NOISE - LOVE WITHOUT SOUND
    CHYLDE HAROLD - BRINK OF DEATH
    THE POPPY FAMILY - SHADOWS ON MY WALL
    THE FREE DESIGN - GIRL'S ALONE
    THE ROKES - WHEN THE WIND ARISES
    WEST COAST POP ART EXPERIMENTAL BAND - SUPPOSE THEY GIVE A WAR
    ALICE COOPER - FIELDS OF REGRET
    THE BAG - NOTHING WILL REMAIN
    50 FOOT HOSE - CAULDRON
    DARK SHADOWS THEME
    SANDY COAST - CAPITOL PUNISHMENT

----------

I already know groups like Bonzo Dog Band, Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Alice Cooper, Free Design, 50ft Hose, Alice Copoper and have become familiar (through internet bounty hunting) with The Troll, Jason Crest, John Wonderling, The Rattles, White Noise (ol' Delia shows up everyone doesn't she?)... I was after a bit more info on some of the others though, if anyone could help out. I've had no joy with:

De Maskers
    The Alan Brown (presumably this is missing the word "band" or "project" or "set" at the end of the name, although if not, that would be far better!)

Cheers in advance all. By the by, if anyone noticed I wasn't here for a bit - GET OUT MORE! I mean, bless ya. Fact is, my laptop charger was dead for a few months and, after flatly refusing to pay the £100-150 sony wanted to charge me for a replacement, I've finally managed to find an alternate source.

For more Nobody goodness, btw, http://myspace.com/nobodyelvin
    http://petesasqwax.co.uk

The Rokes were a great band. British ex-pats who moved to Italy and had plenty of hits over there, including the original "Let's Live For Today" ("Piangi Con Me" in Italian) which was covered by The Grass Roots for a top 10 US hit.

"When The Wind Arises" is the B-side of a track called "Works of Bartholomew" from '68, which with its story-lyrics, always sounds a bit "Teenage Opera" to my ears (not a bad thing either!), and it even managed to get a US issue on RCA. The A-side was also covered by Wayne Fontana, but it's the B-side to The Rokes' 45 which is the real cracker...
    209: Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit

Comment

man, this mix is great- - its been on heavy rotation on my ipod whilst cyclign the last few months...

thanks for the tracklist.
      Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by sasQwax View Post
        The Alan Brown (presumably this is missing the word "band" or "project" or "set" at the end of the name, although if not, that would be far better!)http://myspace.com/nobodyelvin
        The Alan Bown Set were a pretty tight British soul band, then come '67-'68 changed their name to The Alan Bown! and went all psychedelicized; their LP on Music Factory is v.nice, but I don't know that track by them - they later signed to Deram, so it's possibly from those later years...

Comment

rainbowffolly - top drawer info mate, that's massively appreciated! I've listened to the mix dozens of times now and there sounded like quite a lot of it was british. It's got that odd psych meets canterbury feel in places. Out of interest, what are my chances of stumbling upon that Rokes 45?

hehe - as for The Alan Brown! that's superb!

Comment

pencilface - my pleasure, squire!

Comment

?!

Didn't the living daylights do the original version of "let's live for today"?

Hmrm.

Looks like a cool comp - nice cover too - was thinking how flyer-worthy the book was after scoring it in a chaz t'other week. Uncannily unreal.

Comment

I've got a handful of the Rokes' 45s from Italy, and two out of the three I know they released in the UK ("Let's Live For Today" and "Hold My Hand"). I've had to be content with a US copy of "When The Wind Arises", and I haven't seen too many UK copies - especially in the wild. As a decent psych track I expect it goes for a good few quid too.

Doesn't mean you won't find one tho'...

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
                  Didn't the living daylights do the original version of "let's live for today"?
                  I'm fairly certain they covered it after The Rokes had the hit in Italy.

EDIT: Yup, The Rokes version in Italian as "Piangi Con Me" charted in Italy in June '66 (as a B-side), whereas The Living Daylights version was from about April '67.

There's this I found on radiolondon.co.uk which goes into a bit more detail...

I do have one (or two?) correction(s) on some data input for your Chart W/O April 23, 1967, regarding the song, "Let's Live For Today".

As stated, the song DID indeed start out in Italian by the Rokes as "Piangi Con Me" in 1966. The song was THEN issued in its first English language form by the Skope, from Heerlen in the Netherlands, as "Be Mine Again". This was near the end of 1966 (not 1967). The song made the Dutch Charts on January 28, 1967, peaking at #36 during a 4-week Chart run. This version was apparently unknown to the Rokes, since they re-wrote their own English version as the familiar "Let's Live For Today". They recorded it and had it sent to England for release. But a more local Newcastle band, the Living Daylights, was given the song instead. I've been unable to pinpoint a release date on their single, but I'll accept your Chart debut week (4-16-67) as being close enough for now. It was this single that Grass Roots member, Warren Entner, supposedly heard while on a visit. He brought the song home for the Grass Roots to record.

The earliest US Charting I could find on the Grass Roots version was when it was chosen as a Station "Long Shot" on April 19, 1967. on WMCA-AM Radio in New York. The Rokes single in the UK, on RCA 1587, shows a release date of "21-4-67" (April 21, 1967). Based on how the Grass Roots perform the song, it sounds like they copied the Living Daylights single, as well as the Rokes Italian original (since their English version was yet unreleased). It might be they never had a copy of the actual records and relied on taped versions, which might explain, and/or excuse(?), the lack of writer's credits on the Grass Roots Dunhill single.

Of note is that when the Living Daylights' version was brought Stateside, it was issued on the Buddah label (#2). Also of note is that 5-8 seconds was chopped off at the end of the song! Their song did make some noise in the US, being played exclusively of the Grass Roots version over WOR-FM, also in New York. On that Station, it even made it into the Top 10!

As far as I've been able to find out, the Rokes version received virtually no airplay in the US. I know of no Station that played it, anyway. When their version made the trip out of the UK, the song also befell the same fate as the Living Daylights, in that it lost time at the ending in the transfer. It also lost some character, in that it was remixed, losing the familiar build-up contrast of what makes the song likeable. Some critics claim the song is more subdued than the Grass Roots version, but it seems obvious they never heard the UK version. Comparing the two is like day and night.

It was the Living Daylights' version that inspired the song to be re-made in Japan by the Tempters, their version as a Stereo single on the Philips label. The popularity even saw re-issue of the Living Daylights' single in Japan (also on the Philips label) in Stereo, but rechanneled. This was in October, 1967. By then, the Living Daylights had re-formed to a quintet (from a quartet), with only brothers Garth and Norman Watt-Roy as common members.
                  I've got a demo of The Rokes' UK "Let's Live For Today" at home, but I'm sure it's January '67...
                  Last edited by rainbowffolly; 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sasQwax View Post

hehe - as for The Alan Brown! that's superb!
                    It's 'Bown', not 'Brown', which is why you're not finding it!

'The Prisoner' is on their Deram LP, which looks like this:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=316987
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

john - you're a gent! i hadn't noticed but rainbowffolly had corrected me already and i've been too witless to notice

Comment

Originally posted by rainbowffolly View Post
                        I've had to be content with a US copy of "When The Wind Arises", and I haven't seen too many UK copies - especially in the wild. As a decent psych track I expect it goes for a good few quid too.

Doesn't mean you won't find one tho'...
                        the eternal optimism of the "vinyl before food" digger - i love it

Comment

We all like our horses to look and feel good and grooming is an integral part of ensuring both. From plaiting, clipping & trimming to every type of body, water and dandy brush we'll ensure your horse will look and feel great. With storage solutions also on offer the tack room will remain tidy too
                          SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
                            We all like our horses to look and feel good and grooming is an integral part of ensuring both. From plaiting, clipping & trimming to every type of body, water and dandy brush we'll ensure your horse will look and feel great. With storage solutions also on offer the tack room will remain tidy too
                            Do you have an mp3 of that I could have?
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Damn Pete this looks sick! As you know I'm a big nobody fan anyway so this is getting double love!

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                              X