Depressing towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    Daddy Yaya has a story that involves being off his tits on acid in Coventry in the early 80s and getting jumped by skins.

Who decided to rearrange his dental features.

With a brick.
    It was Digbeth, Birmingham in 1997 - and they were just 2 random blokes...although I was on acid, it was a brick (one of those blue Victorian compressed ones - really densely packed and heavy) and I did have some teeth smashed out...

...haven't been hassled by skins in Cov since about 1972.
    "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

• Bit of a Benny-come-lately to this thread, but I was born and brought up in Worksop (Manton Estate - rougher than a sandpaper lolly), so I feel qualified to at least mitigate for the depressing feel of the town.

One word: THATCHER.

If I had to nominate somewhere that depressed me, it would be Crewe. But only in the same way as Doncaster, Warrington, Cleethorpes or Uttoxeter depress me. It's not the town or the people there, it's what's been done to them or forced upon them that depressed me. You can see what these places used to be and how vital they once were and what a key role they must have played in the development of Britain and now they're effectively discarded with their industries reduced to remnants of e.g. the odd pithead which stands as a cenotaph to the community that now has to wait for the lottery win of a call-centre being opened.

If you want a town that you REALLY don't want to get caught looking at someone's pint or calling someone's dog a puff in (and Wayne would back me here) is Ilkeston. In the Notts/Derbys hinterland and a BNP stronghold.

Anyway, lay off Worksop. If you didn't have Worksop, you wouldn't have me, Graham Taylor, Bruce Dickinson (Yep!) and the girl off the Availablecar.com advert.

And it's only a short hop from Worksop to Retford, which is quite a nice little town with a great flea market on Fridays.
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
        If you didn't have Worksop, you wouldn't have me, Graham Taylor, Bruce Dickinson (Yep!) and the girl off the Availablecar.com advert.
        I am as yet resisting the temptation to buy one.
        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Can I just stick up for Leicester and Rugby here.

Leicester I started shopping for 2nd hand vinyl in 1977 and over the years picked up superb stuff like (off the top of my head) Spooky Tooth 1st pink label for 50p, Egg 'Polite Force' og UK still sealed (!) for 99p, Sam Gopal for £1.99, Greasy Truckers 1st for 50p, Man 'Padget Rooms' for £1.50 - Leicester market was fuckin' amazing for brilliant cheap vinyl - it makes me weep to think of the stuff I left behind (Hemlock on Deram for 25p!) and the Very Bizarre in Silver Street - still there now but just a hippy head shop, no vinyl. I got Martin Sharp's 'Hendrix' poster for 75p .

Rugby - There was a fantastic used vinyl shop near the cement works (picturesque !) full of great vinyl, Exchange and Mart had brilliant weird records cheap, after it moved/closed there was a stall in the market with bargains (Soft Machine 1st with moving cog cover for £1.99, Cream 'Wheels Of Fire' mono for a quid...). Even last year I scored Fraternity Of Man album for a fiver....
          Last edited by Daddy Ya Ya; 06-06-2009, 12:14 PM.
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Working...
          X