The streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The streets

If I hear one more person describe this pile of shit as 'genius' I think I might do some serious damage.
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

amen to that!

Comment

risking abuse here, but:

have not heard the latest, but housemate has the first album and i enjoyed that. i think the problem is just the usual lazy journo/rock critic/blogger issue of over-hyping the few non-guitar band albums they listen to.

it's not the best album ever, but at the same time it isn't the worst thing ever - there's far more worthy targets of your anger than someone who at least is trying to do something a bit different.

Comment

ah, just realised the thread was referring to the 'Dry Your Eyes' track, and haven't heard that and it could well be shit, but i stand by my comments on the first album and that got the same stupid split of genius/worst album ever

Comment

No bigger pile of dirge has abused my ears this year than this rotting log of dog toilet.

And yes, I'ld listen to Mcfly, Big Bruvas..........shit, even Fixx before I give this another listen willingly.

Talentless bollocks of the highest order. Dry your eyes mate, cos here comes another kick in the nads.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ June 25 2004,11:12)]there's far more worthy targets of your anger
            June Sarpong...
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (bongolia @ June 25 2004,11:12)]risking abuse here, but:

have not heard the latest, but housemate has the first album and i enjoyed that. i think the problem is just the usual lazy journo/rock critic/blogger issue of over-hyping the few non-guitar band albums they listen to.

it's not the best album ever, but at the same time it isn't the worst thing ever - there's far more worthy targets of your anger than someone who at least is trying to do something a bit different.
              Although the first album wasn't really my taste, it did deserve some credit for being different at least... but this current tune sounds like the biggest piss-take ever.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ June 25 2004,11:15)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (bongolia @ June 25 2004,11:12)]there's far more worthy targets of your anger
                June Sarpong...
                Good call... can we add Vernon Kay to the list as well... I'm not usually a violent person but if happened to be watching Channel 4 and Vernon & June introduced The Streets on their show I would probably smash the TV, stick a fork in both my eyes, shove cement in my ears and set myself on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Martin Lovegrove @ June 25 2004,11:27)]Good call... can we add Vernon Kay to the list as well... I'm not usually a violent person but if happened to be watching Channel 4 and Vernon & June introduced The Streets on their show I would probably smash the TV, stick a fork in both my eyes, shove cement in my ears and set myself on fire.
                  See Martin, this is why you're not allowed anywhere near kid's TV. If the BBC screened a programme presented by boys and girls with impenetrable regional accents and a theme with those lyrics, what do you think would happen?

"Why Don't You?  Why Don't You?
                  Why Don't You?  Why Don't You,

Just smash the TV, stick a fork in both eyes,
                  Shove cement in your ears, and set yourself on fire,

Why don't You?  Why Don't You?
                  Why Don't You?  Why Don't You?"
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Don't get Matt & Rich started on casual violence worthy of infliction on minor celebs......
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (LDJB @ June 25 2004,11:45)]Don't get Matt & Rich started on casual violence worthy of infliction on minor celebs......
                      Five ants vs. one leatherjacket?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ June 25 2004,11:44)]"Why Don't You?  Why Don't You?

Shove cement in your ears and set yourself on fire

Why Don't You?  Why Don't You"
                        Nice

I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ June 25 2004,11:44)]"Why Don't You?  Why Don't You?

Shove cement in your ears and set yourself on fire

Why Don't You?  Why Don't You"
                          ...and this week, we'll be making "chocolate spaghetti with toast soldiers"

"I say I say I say..." jokes from two half-tennis balls with faces on them.

Hmmm - so "Why Don't you " presenters all grew up and did that late night regional TV bastion
                          Get Stuffed
                          Now this!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ June 24 2004,12:12)]i think the problem is just the usual lazy journo/rock critic/blogger issue of over-hyping the few non-guitar band albums they listen to.
                            I ought to be over it by now, but it still really gets my goat how the meedja circus is such a load of lemmings and sheep - it's like everyone decides, before they've heard or read or seen it, to hype one mediocre album/book/movie to the skies, and be sniffy about or ignore better ones, for no good reason at all...maybe they have bets or something?

Hence The Streets: tuneless cartoon fake chav bollocks that a bunch of downshift-accented public schoolboys on The Guardian and the like wet themselves over because, like, it's so REAL, innit... actually, it's alright in a sort of self-obsessed Brummie 'Parklife' kind of way, if you like that sort of thing, but, jesus, to hear people go on about it, you'd think it was 'What's Goin' On' and 'Straight Outta Compton' and Dostoevsky all rolled into one...

As for minor celebs, I won't be responsible for my actions if I hear much more of that smug bloody Geordie who seems to be doing the voiceovers on everything these days. Or Davina MacCall, Linda Barker, Jamie Oliver, or one more bloody never-done-a-day's-proper-work-in-their-life posh 'designer/property expert' going on about 'simple design rules' when faced with something other than sodding beige ...  

OK, I'm breathing...in...out...in...calming down...they're not worth it...leave 'em...
                            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I didn't mind 'Don't Mug Yourself' although he seemed to record the exact same song as ''Fit But Don't You Know It'

Everything else I've heard has been complete shite. I totally agree with the utter bewilderment over him being praised as some 21st Century Wordsworth.

Can you tell the difference between this:

"Chattin to this bloke in the toilets
                              Dizzy new heights blinded by the lights
                              These people are for life its all back to his place at the end of the night
                              They could settle wars with this
                              If only they will imagine the worlds leaders on pills then imagine the mornin after
                              Wars causing disaster don't talk to me i don't know ya
                              But this aint tommorow and for now i still love ya
                              Hours fly over sail round diamonds and pearls never seen so many fit girls
                              Discover new worlds look at my watch can't focus
                              Last two hours i lost every move fills me with lust
                              All of life's problems i just shake off
                              Mad little events happen things map out and a few blue maddens alight the toilets
                              Big beefy bouncers out to reveal us geezers on e's and first timers kids on whizz darlins on
                              Charlie
                              All come together for this party
                              All races many faces from places you never heard of
                              Where you from what's your name and what you want
                              Sing to the words flex to the fat one
                              The tribal drums the sun's risin we all smile we all sing"

and this:

"My heart leaps up when I behold
                              A Rainbow in the sky:

So was it when my life began;
                              So is it now I am a man;
                              So be it when I shall grow old,
                              Or let me die!

The Child is father of the man;
                              And I could wish my days to be

Bound each to each by natural piety"

Jo Wylie obviously can't

As for 'Dry Your Eyes' why didn't they just re-release 'I Need Love' by LL Cool J (hey Mr Hopkinson! no throwing up smilie?)
                              He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Working...
                              X