Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krivit's re-edit of funky drummer

Hi y'all

anyone knows if Danny Krivit's 12" with the re-edit of brother James Brown's "Funky Drummer" on Urban is rare or common as shit?

No that common but that rare either although I don't have one. Those Urban twelve inches seem to go for about £10-15 from a 'proper' dealer. They're pretty collectable. Nice pressings, nice re edits. They are out there if you search. The Jackson Sisters one is nice with the extended mix. I've found a couple of those recently. I have the Maceo one too. No James though.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ June 26 2004,10:53)]No that common but that rare either although I don't have one. Those Urban twelve inches seem to go for about £10-15 from a 'proper' dealer. They're pretty collectable. Nice pressings, nice re edits. They are out there if you search. The Jackson Sisters one is nice with the extended mix. I've found a couple of those recently. I have the Maceo one too. No James though.
      Thanx Blighty

Me and a friend are just going over a big collection of this Nightclub in Lisbon, opened in 1979. And yesterday i pulled that 12", among several other goodies, from there. We still have one room to go over and the owner told us that the other nightclub they own also has a big vinyl collection that we can see and choose from... Nice.

Comment

If you see the Urban Allstars record grab that too. Great cut and paste by Norman Cook of all the tracks Urban reissued.

What else did you find then? Twenty plus years of nightblub records have to be interesting to go through.

Comment

There was a picture sleeve version of that Funky Drummer 12", aswell as the Urban 'house bag' one - goes for a bit more, but £10-£15 is about right, as blighty says. There are alot of convincing-looking bootlegs of those Urban 12's around at the moment too, but I haven't seen the Funky Drummer one. In case others are looking for it, the Krivit re-edit is also on the 'Jungle Groove' LP, which was re-issued on Simply Vinyl recently ...

Urban Allstars was booted year before last on a 12" with a couple of versions of Shaft In Africa too ...
          FunkyDown
          Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Wasn't there a 12" of "Funky Drummer", "She's The One" and "Funky President" on Urban ??

... or am I talking about the same 12" as Dr R'funk ? Apologies if I am

.. also, I seem to remember that this 12" came with a free poster of JB ! Mercy!
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Price = £10 to £15, but I've seen the Maceo "Cross The Tracks" as high as £25 quid.

There's also "Coldcut Meet The Godfather", picture sleeve and 1-sided promo 12" in house-bag.

Then there's the Sweet Charles "It's You" 12" with Lyn Collins flip...

... oh dear, it's all coming back to me now...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I have the Urban Allstars on seven inch. The Jackson Sisters' 'When Your Love Is Gone' on the flip. 'The 'Blow Your Head' twelve inch would be nice. That's been booted too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Blighty @ June 26 2004,17:39)]If you see the Urban Allstars record grab that too. Great cut and paste by Norman Cook of all the tracks Urban reissued.

What else did you find then? Twenty plus years of nightblub records have to be interesting to go through.
                  Actually it was a bit disappointing, you know. A downside to this kind of digging is that you are going to find good records, but in terrible condition. Some of the records were really trashed beyond recovery.

Anyway, found 3 or 4 James browns, including "Hell", "popcorn", "There It Is" and two different comps of Godfather material. One good comp of Rhythm n' Blues that includes The Emperors' My Baby Likes to Boogaloo, A Platic Cow Moog record with a cover of Spinning Wheel, a Byron Lee and the Dragonaires LP, two Pablo Moses, one Black Uhuru and several disco and hip hop 12's.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ June 28 2004,16:47)]'The 'Blow Your Head' twelve inch would be nice. That's been booted too.
                    I think you'll find that bootleg is actually an "original" bootleg masquerading as an Urban re-issue. Confused? Err, me too...
                    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

I'm gonna rain on the re-edit parade and say that all re-edits of James Brown trakcs are shit, no matter who edits them. Ha ha!
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                      X