Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James royal

Hi everyone -

This afternoon I picked up an LP by James Royal from 1971 on the Carnaby label, (which I think is an off-shoot of Phillips) which has on it 'House of Jack' (K.Mansfield's 'Soul Thing&#39.

Does anyone know, please, if this is the first time James Royal recorded this track, and can anyone shed any light on the Carnaby label?!

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers.
    A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

The Carnaby label was founded by a chap called Mervyn Conn, and was also the label that released Keith Mansfield's 'The London Theme' LP, so Keith must've been quite a popular man there!

Comment

Many thanks, Mr. Thames, for the info - much appreciated! 'The London Theme LP' - is that all commercially released library stuff, then?!?!
      A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

I had a James Royal LP from around the same time, also including House Of Jack, which was on CBS...don't know if it would be exactly the same tracklist, but I'd assume the major licensed it from the smaller label.
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

isn't 'house of jack' a re-working of 'james street gang'???
          kraut rock ist nicht tot!
          http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
          http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Cameron @ June 26 2004,18:33)]'The London Theme LP' - is that all commercially released library stuff, then?!?!
            Mostly KPM stuff, with a few covers like 'Congratulations' and 'Puppet On A String'. It's credited to the Carnaby Street Pop Orchestra and Choir, but it's apparently only called 'The London Theme' on the LP spine and label, so most people usually call it 'Carnaby Street', or something like that. Very nice it is too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 26 2004,19:43)]isn't 'house of jack' a re-working of 'james street gang'???
              Or vice-versa... I'm always amazed how much mileage Soul Thing got.

Bizarrely, House Of Jack was playing in the background just as I looked at this topic. Spooky...
              There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

There are a few good records on Major Minor, 'Underground beat party' Being one with Madeline Bell. Mostly you see the Raymond Lefevre lp's which aren't that bad, mainly because they usually contain one or two of his own compositions and can be found for pence. I know i've got a psych rock lp on the label but it's buried away and i can't remember who it's by.
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

Sorry wrong thread!
                  derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ June 26 2004,20:03)]Bizarrely, House Of Jack was playing in the background just as I looked at this topic. Spooky...  
                    That happened to me yesterday too. I was listening to 'Music To Make Girls Cry' and nosing through Johnny Trunk's old recommendations and as I got to the Roundtable LP and the 'Scarborough Fair' namecheck the track started playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X