• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-muza polish night

"B-MUZA" - A LATE NIGHT B-MUSIC SPECIAL
    ROMAN POLANSKI SEASON - OPENING PARTY
    Friday July 2nd, 8pm-1am.
    Cornerhouse, 70 Oxford Street, Manchester.
    As part of the exciting Roman Polanski season at the Cornerhouse, B-Music will be hosting an opening and closing party, paying tribute to the visionary composer Krzystof Komeda, who scored Polanski's early films such as 'Knife In The Water', 'Cul-De-Sac', 'Rosemary's Baby' and 'Fearless Vampire Killers'.
    The opening night sees resident B-Music DJs Andy Votel, Dominic Thomas and John McCready joined by special guest Cherrystones, providing a soundtrack of rare and obscure European movie scores and un-earthed Polish jazz treats.
    The event will be accompanied by a special late night screening of the classic horror 'Rosemary's Baby', plus an exhibition of original Polanski film posters, on show in the Cornerhouse cafe.
    OPENING NIGHT FILM
    ROSEMARY'S BABY - Special late night screening at 11.00pm.
    Tickets £5.00 / £3.70 concessions
    Available from Cornerhouse Box Office - 0161 200 1500 or cornerhouse.org
    Details on the 'Polanski Season' closing party to follow.
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

i don't suppose anyone would record this set? wish i still lived in mcr for these..

Comment

cheers hayes.
      we try to record it every week.
      our b-music radio section is made of weekly snippets from the club.

http://www.b-music.co.uk/radio.html

anyone coming over tomorrow night???

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ July 01 2004,13:38)]cheers hayes.

Wish I could fella - sounds right up my ballpark.

But allak - playing out in Surrey.

I liked your intro BTW - backing yourself into a Mancunian corner starting off that psych night.

I'ld love to set up a psych night around these parts, but near me, the venues run fairly dry. There must be a little basement pubby gaff that would want to put a psych night on! Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ July 01 2004,13:38)]cheers hayes.

wish i could...am in laandan instead...

Comment

nice one belson, maybe you could dj here next time your up norf.
            it would be cool to put some proggy mixes by 'guest vultures' on the b-music radio site. i think sermads goin up this week.

hows about a northern vv meet at b-music then... its easy to organize.

Comment

AV, what's that track on B-Music mix1 that comes in at 3:50? it's a belter.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ June 29 2004,22:21)]"B-MUZA" - A LATE NIGHT B-MUSIC SPECIAL
                ROMAN POLANSKI SEASON - OPENING PARTY
                Friday July 2nd, 8pm-1am.
                Cornerhouse, 70 Oxford Street, Manchester.
                As part of the exciting Roman Polanski season at the Cornerhouse, B-Music will be hosting an opening and closing party, paying tribute to the visionary composer Krzystof Komeda, who scored Polanski's early films such as 'Knife In The Water', 'Cul-De-Sac', 'Rosemary's Baby' and 'Fearless Vampire Killers'.
                The opening night sees resident B-Music DJs Andy Votel, Dominic Thomas and John McCready joined by special guest Cherrystones, providing a soundtrack of rare and obscure European movie scores and un-earthed Polish jazz treats.
                The event will be accompanied by a special late night screening of the classic horror 'Rosemary's Baby', plus an exhibition of original Polanski film posters, on show in the Cornerhouse cafe.
                OPENING NIGHT FILM
                ROSEMARY'S BABY - Special late night screening at 11.00pm.
                Tickets £5.00 / £3.70 concessions
                Available from Cornerhouse Box Office - 0161 200 1500 or cornerhouse.org
                Details on the 'Polanski Season' closing party to follow.
                are you planing to play "Astigmatic" lp ?
                damn would be great

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ July 01 2004,14:28)]nice one belson, maybe you could dj here next time your up norf.
                  it would be cool to put some proggy mixes by 'guest vultures' on the b-music radio site. i think sermads goin up this week.

hows about a northern vv meet at b-music then... its easy to organize.
                  Eeeee, that would be right nice, fella. I'll keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I could get a little US psych set done in the coming weeks, if you're interested.

Comment

Any chance of putting the downloads up as mp3's, besides RealPlayer files, 'cos I cann't use RealPlayer here?
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (DOKO*ENO @ July 01 2004,13:38)]we try to record it every week.
                      lovely, i'll shall listen in when possible.. mp3 d/l's would be the business!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Belson @ July 01 2004,13:52)]I'ld love to set up a psych night around these parts, but near me, the venues run fairly dry. There must be a little basement pubby gaff that would want to put a psych night on! Anybody?
                        I have said this so many times it's not true. I recall discussing a Heavy Psych-Prog-funk nite with Cheebs last year? I really wanted to do this kind of music justice by keeping it to an allniter type thing, but that would be a no go in London.

I am so down for getting a proper [funky] deep-psych nite off the ground but unless the Face or Time Out decide it's groovy, we be fuckered.

I've done things like this privately in the past and as with most deeper club nite's, it's all about getting the right heads in the place, people with open minds, atleast musically. That aint as easy as it sounds. Especially in a city where the hip factor is all that matters. Personally, I think a deep 'n' weird nite of twisted electronic music is as cool as it gets, but what the hey hey hey, I'm a monkee!

Playing retro music all nite long and bringing in the crowds as well as the cheese to maintain this idea is virtually impossible in this city.

Impossible that is, unless you are working in Soul Jazz that is.

Then you can do no wrong.

Explain that to me Jesus?
                        I was raised by wolves

Comment

And if the northerners want gusest spots around Polish bizniz, I think i could hold down, oh, a few hours atleast! That's my bag right there son! Can we get a Nieman inna bowl cut style smilie PLEEEEEEEZ?

I personally worship Polanski and actually had the opportunity of meeting him a long time ago in a West London Polish deli. I wanted to express my absolute fascination and admiration for his life's work, especially Knife in the Water, Cul-de-Sac and Rosemary's Baby [heavy OST time!] But instead, I spluffed my coffee and gestured to keep keeping on.
                          I left soon afterwards. I'd like to think he felt my warmth and complete respect.

Does anybody here know of his very early Two Men & a Wardrobe. Mentalist stuff from the late part of the fifties. Even at this early stage, he had established very particular themes and a truly recognisable style.

I dig Roman, I mean making beautiful movies, having Sharon Tate as your main squeeze and spending the first half of your life in hipsters and a page boy haircut warrants certain respect, does it not?

Boy, has he lived it!

Actually, reading this, I must mention Fearless Vampire Killers for being possibly the only movie to emulate some of the classic Universal and Hammer productions and get it right......and very, very, very funny. Camp just doesnt come close. Expert film making.
                          I was raised by wolves

Comment

Im down. 'bout 8pm.
                            You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

ahhh... la-soul-fiend
                              i should have trusted my instincts when i saw the metronomie avatar.
                              polanski is indeed the don.
                              ive been collecting CUL-DE-SAC paraphanalia for about 6 or 7 years now, ive got posters for nearly all the territories (i also collect 'julliette of the spirits' (Fellini) stuff)
                              we are doing a CUL-DE-SAC exhibition in the cinema (BMUSIC) (itll be up for 2 months).
                              i'm sure you shared my heart ache when that prick at harkitt did that criminal bootleg of the ost (12"" ? a 7'' wouldnt have been too difficult) and totally screwed up the lenica artwork xerox style.... twat.

as for two men in the wardrobe - genius. the fat and the lean is also a gem. i set my students (stockport graphics degree) a brief to design and print a poster for it a couple of months back.

personally a big fan of czech new-wave. forman / chytilova

as for the niemen/breakout/sbb/czerwonie gitary... your in the right club...

POKESTER - astigmatic is mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                              X