Soul & funk extravaganza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul & funk extravaganza

The one and only Andy Smith helps us launch a new night in Cambridge!!!

Stew & me will get the crowd going before hand. Expect funky shit!

For those who don't know, Big Soul Stew, Miss Sara Lina, Loogal & I have made something out of nothing up in Cambridge, packed house swivelling hips every Saturday night. We're so good, we're going to help Drew out too. Get out of London, get some fresh air, see some greenery, listen to something new!

Saturday July 10, 8 till late.
    BJ's Nitespot, Rapier St, Cambridge.

Tickets are available from the Cambridge branch of His Masters Voice, or from my man Drew on 07885-527-278
    High on my own supply.

Rich, Hadrian Elephant, come down!
    High on my own supply.

Comment

Hi Cal

I noticed your post on Fryer's board, so I've already e-mailed a few people about this.

Me & my mate Rodders will definitely be there. I haven't heard back from Mr Hero, he might be planning to be halfway up a mountain that Saturday.

I don't know the club you are talking about. BJ's?! Interesting. It's not like Hooters is it??

Are you sure it's not in Napier Street rather than Rapier Street? I don't know a Rapier Street in Cambs city centre (I am assuming the clubs in the centre?)
      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Hey Hayden, its not in the city centre, just outside, over the railway bridge. Putting lots a work in to try and drum things up so your support is much appreciated!

Be there Rich, you owe me a lemonade
        High on my own supply.

Comment

Hah! Do your raindance Cal - I just sacked the work ball for that night and, if the weather's bad, I won't be able to climb either. I NEVER have to choose between three good options!

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Well done chap. Just last weekend I treated Col Wolfe to a drunken soliloquy on the lack of funk in Cambridge, so IÂ’m glad youÂ’re taking steps to turn it around.

Unfortunately IÂ’ll be a few thousand miles away at the time. But jolly good luck with it, anyway.
            It ain't shakey

Comment

hehe, just what the Dr ordered!

Sadly I'll be in Newquay when this event is on - hope it goes well

Cal, stick some flyers in the Devonshire Arms - it's where the moddy/northern/scooter lot have their mid-week shenanagins - there's a few serious funkheads amongst that lot
              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (cal @ July 02 2004,16:18)]Hey Hayden, its not in the city centre, just outside, over the railway bridge. Putting lots a work in to try and drum things up so your support is much appreciated&#33;

Be there Rich, you owe me a lemonade
                Hi Cal

I&#39;m confused.

Is that the Railway Bridge on Mill Road?

I was out with my mate from Cambridge yesterday and he reckons the only place he knows that sounds like BJ&#39;s is what was the Cellar Bar aka Traceys aka Memphis. That&#39;s in Napier Street, behind the Grafton Centre.

Also I may not be able to go after all, as I might not get back from the Soul Village Weekender in Lowestoft which is on for the whole of that weekend. If I can, I will - but I&#39;m still not sure where I would go&#33; (where&#39;s the confused smilie when I need it?)
                He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Col Wolfe - the devonshire arms hey&#33; nice place for the bands, it should have been fly posted alreadyÂ… damn, i know that cambridge has a history of good collectors but i dont know any&#33; just me &amp; stewÂ… i need to meet some old northern soul people&#33;

Hayden - i don&#39;t actually know where the place is yet - i know the info i&#39;ve got is correct so check out the www.streetmap.co.uk. i thought it was off hill rd, over the bridge going out of the city towards the hospital.

Rich, i&#39;m raindancing. but only for friday night to put you off climbing. can&#39;t afford rain saturday that will wash out my cricketÂ…

dr kraken &amp; col - there must be some interesting collections in cambridge - we must meet up to talk shit&#33;
                  High on my own supply.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (cal @ July 06 2004,16:55)]i know that cambridge has a history of good collectors but i dont know any&#33; just me &amp; stewÂ… i need to meet some old northern soul people&#33;
                    Hi Cal

I didn&#39;t know you were into northern. Are you still living in Cambridge then?

Upcoming niters in the area are:

P&#39;Boro Wirrina reunion July 16th

Cambridge City. The last one was a couple of weeks ago. I think the next one is in September. Playlist can be a bit obvious, but I&#39;ve always enjoyed myself when I&#39;ve been there.

I dunno if the Norwich Back Street is still on. Col?

Further afield the Desborough Ritz is a cracker.

Plus don&#39;t forget the St Ivo reunion in October. A bit far off, but a really great venue.

The Cambs mod lot (Paul Sawtell etc) play a lot of R&amp;B and Ska but also drop a fair bit of northern in. As Col said, they put a do on in the Devonshire on Weds (every month??)

Still having no joy on this venue. Neither streetmap or multimap show a Rapier St in Cambridge, but it sounds like it is part of the Cattle Market redevelopment, so it probably won&#39;t be on them yet anyway.

Comment

Hey Cal, looks like the raindancing&#39;s working (doesn&#39;t need to rain on Cambridge since there&#39;s no decent climbing for miles - just Portland and Hathersage). So, any success with the directions? If so I may just be there to prop up the bar on my tod (unless Hayd and Rodders make it back from Southport)...
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 07 2004,08:53)]I dunno if the Norwich Back Street is still on. Col?
                        Got a lush new venue - John Innes centre Social Club - wakkawakka jumbo wooden dancefloor &amp; a bar til 4am - next one&#39;s on Fri Aug 7th and it&#39;s free, FREE FREE I tells ya&#33;&#33;

Oh yeah, Cal, maybe a bit late for the Andy Smith gig but a flyer drop @ Cambridge Lambretta Workshop may bring more people in - Stepneys Yd, Ditton Walk, Cambridge. Good vibes/nice people.
                        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ July 07 2004,18:06)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 07 2004,08:53)]I dunno if the Norwich Back Street is still on. Col?
                          Got a lush new venue - John Innes centre Social Club - wakkawakka jumbo wooden dancefloor &amp; a bar til 4am - next one&#39;s on Fri Aug 7th and it&#39;s free, FREE FREE I tells ya&#33;&#33;
                          Sounds good&#33;

I&#39;ll try and get to that. Are you going?

Speaking of northern, check this lot out:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws....&stab=0

Amazing&#33; (apologies for all those who have seen this on Soul Strut already)

Comment

Blimey, Cal it took waaay too much Googling to find this...

http://www.wereallneighbours.co.uk/e...ew.php?id=3401

So it is NAPIER and not Rapier Street? (Map here).

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ July 08 2004,13:26)]Blimey, Cal it took waaay too much Googling to find this...

http://www.wereallneighbours.co.uk/e...ew.php?id=3401

So it is NAPIER and not Rapier Street? (Map here).

Aha&#33;

So it is the Cellar Bar/Traceys/Memphis etc etc

And according to all my web searches, there is no Rapier Street in Cambridge&#33;

Unless you want hordes of funk fans roaming the streets in a fruitless search on Saturday I&#39;d amend your post on Deepfunk  

Comment

Working...
                              X