A brittish funk lp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A brittish funk lp question

I recently picked up an LP by a group called Real Thing on the Pye Label. Gotta say that I was pleasently surprised by how funky/ modern soul-like this 1978 LP was. Does anyone have any info on this group? were they big in the UK? Is this dollar bin mess or did I just stumble into an album worth 1000000 yen?

thanks

-guzzo

Does it have a gatefold sleeve with a window on it? If it has it used to be a dollor bin LP, does'nt turn up up that often any more, although I recently found a rather battered one.
    Think they came from Liverpool & remember the LP being pretty good in places. Price wise would guess at a tenner??
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

The Real Thing were pretty big in Britain - they had a massive hit with 'You To Me Are Everything' (still a local radio favourite), and a few similar follow-ups.

After the group split, the lead singer became one of Britain's leading breeders of Afghan hounds, and one of his dogs won Crufts in the late-80s!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 03 2004,18:54)]After the group split, the lead singer became one of Britain's leading breeders of Afghan hounds, and one of his dogs won Crufts in the late-80s!
        Just beat me to it.... Eddie Amoo is his name from recollection, a regular on 'Blue Peter' with his hounds.
        Matt Hero

Comment

That's the fella - I was trying to remember his name! Didn't he do a Pedigree Chum ad too?

Comment

and they're also known for a track called "Can you Feel the Force" .....which was a club classic from around the same time.....and the 12" of it is a great party tune...they did at least 4 or 5 Lp's.......
            "Its not punishment they need, Its gunishment"

Comment

yeah, they're overlooked in the UK cos of their cheesier hits, but they had their moments if you like 70's soul - as a result they're definitely not worth money - a couple of quid tops.

Comment

Thanks for everyones input. On second listen I did notice soem of the more cheesier songs. The track "(We Gotta Take it to the ) Second Stage comes with a nice late 70's funk groove and even starts with a pretty good drumn intro. Found this in a pile of LP's that included a ton of Striesand a Gary Burton "Good Vibes" & a Blackbyrds "Flying Start" I don't know what that says about the original owner but I'm sure it says something.

Comment

Yeah, The Real Thing have got a bit of dodgy rep in the UK, but I like some of the things they've done.

They did a great track called 'Children Of The Ghetto' (the flip to their hit 'Can You Feel The Force&#39 which was later covered to good effect by Courtney Pine.

Before becoming T.R.T. they were called The Chants (who incidentally,fact fans,like vitually every other 60's scouse band played at the Cavern with The Beatles) and cut the old two step/rare groove favourite 'I've Been Trying' for the Chipping Norton label, which is worth looking out for. I dunno if it got a release in the US though.

I know Eddie Piller reckons that The Real Thing were the best British Black band ever. I wouldn't go that far though.
                  He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I think they're crap. If anyone wants that LP of theirs, with the cut-out cover, lemme know and I'll bring it down to Brillo - it's yours!
                    http://wakeupanddie.com
                    http://weirdgearnyc.com
                    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I'll have it ta very much
                      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 04 2004,13:03)]Before becoming T.R.T. they were called The Chants (who incidentally,fact fans,like vitually every other 60's scouse band played at the Cavern with The Beatles) and cut the old two step/rare groove favourite 'I've Been Trying' for the Chipping Norton label, which is worth looking out for. I dunno if it got a release in the US though.
                        I think the Chants appeared on the Wheeltappers and Shunters Club too - they were pretty good, as I recall.

Plus are repeating episodes of the Wheeltappers, so chances are it'll turn up at some point - look out for it!

Comment

I think another previous incarnation were called The Chosen Few who released a few 45s on Polydor, which are fairly highly prized by Japanese soul collectors. Not to be confused with the Chosen Few from Jamaica or the Chosen Few from Chicago or The Chosen Few from California or etc etc
                          There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Working...
                          X