Weekend finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds

The decent record stall in the market near my house has closed down. This has in the past yielded both Benny & The Duke and Working In A Soul Mine for a tenner so a definite loss and no records for me this weekend. 'Cept for the copy of Amazonas Play Santana that arrived this morning in the post (cheers Son of Stan).

Hope the rest of you had a better one.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

I got nowt apart from one of my grails off ebay for half the going rate. So I was well chuffed.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

My finds included

This Guys in Love - Ray Davies
      HiFi Stereo:Samba, Caramba, South America Ole - Roberto Delgado
      The Synthesizer Sound machine
      Playing Games and having Fun - The Do re Me Childrens Choir
      Solid Gold Readers Digest promo flexi (nice glossy gold flexi)

Also on sunday, I met Tony Osborne and recorded an interview with him. What a lovely chap he is. We sat on his balcony in Manly, sipped red wine and chatted.

David
      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Didn&#39;t realy have a lot of time this weekend as i had people staying. But a quick Friday morning spin around the local charries came up with:

A (barking) Lithuanian jazz lp from the 70s. Don&#39;t expect me to decipher who it&#39;s by....It&#39;s got one track i particularly like which is just percussion and buzz flute;

A US Paul Mauriat LP inc. a funky version of &quot;Jesu Christo&quot;;

A collection of 30 or so US independent / modern soul obscurities, mainly 12&quot;s (some great stuff, i left a load more from the same source in the shop - i&#39;ll probably go back for these soon. I wonder why someone would go to the trouble of seeking these out, amassing a collection and then just ditch them in a charity....).

Quite pleased with that lot.
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ July 05 2004,12:10)]A collection of 30 or so US independent / modern soul obscurities, mainly 12&quot;s (some great stuff, i left a load more from the same source in the shop - i&#39;ll probably go back for these soon. I wonder why someone would go to the trouble of seeking these out, amassing a collection and then just ditch them in a charity....).
          Nice finds S.O.S. Any doubles in there? What was in the haul???
          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 05 2004,13:53)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (son of stan @ July 05 2004,12:10)]A collection of 30 or so US independent / modern soul obscurities, mainly 12&quot;s (some great stuff, i left a load more from the same source in the shop - i&#39;ll probably go back for these soon. I wonder why someone would go to the trouble of seeking these out, amassing a collection and then just ditch them in a charity....).
            Nice finds S.O.S. Any doubles in there? What was in the haul???
            Thanks. Its mainly obscure independent soul releases from the 80s. I ddn&#39;t pay much attention to that sort of stuff at the time so i didn&#39;t recognise a lot of it as I was going through it.

Not had the chance for a proper listen yet, I had a quick flick through them when i got home and it all sounded quite strong.

At work at the moment, the only ones I can call to mind are:

A Jesse James LP on Gunsmoke (&quot;Looking Back&quot which appears to be reissued stuff from the mid 70s (&quot;If you want a love affair&quot;, plus others which i didn&#39;t know).

The late 80s reissue of Bobby Thurston &quot;Sweetest Piece of the Pie&quot;.

Strangely the only double I found in that batch was a house record (Faze Action, &quot;In the Trees&quot. I&#39;ll let you know if anything turns up on my return visit &#33;
            Endless Tripe

Comment

Some ok stuff this weekend..

Longo/Farrell/Carter/Brecker - Giganti del Jazz (first one I got in the series that was actually nice - anyone know any good others?)
              Jungle Brothers - done by the forces of nature (had a JB&#39;s &#39;ultramix&#39; inside )
              Wim Overgaauw - Don&#39;t disturb - smooth jazz guitar thingy
              Guitar Workshop vol2

45&#39;s
              Rhythm Heritage - theme from s.w.a.t
              Rogier van Otterloo - let&#39;s go to randstad
              Titanic - Sultana/sing fool sing
              Hearts of soul &amp; shampoo - we love the policeman (cheezy singing ruins the day again..)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]I got nowt apart from one of my grails off ebay for half the going rate. So I was well chuffed
                C&#39;mon Serms - fess up - what was it?
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Just run a search on his winnings. I already did...
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Hehehe. cheeky gets.

It was Bennys Badekar. Its a 7&quot; of a danish animated film. The title track is funky as sin - Big drums, big hammond and big daft danish vocals.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Thursday &amp; Friday:

Soul Train Gang &quot;Don Cornelius presents...&quot; (Soul Train)

Real Thing &quot;Step Into Our World&quot; (pye) - british funk/ modern osul piece from &#39;78. Anyone got any further info on this group?

Stan Lee &quot;Tomorrow&quot; (Birthright) - Gospel soul funk piecce. Apparently the first release on the Los Angeles based Birthright label

Dreams &amp; Illusions &quot;S/T&quot; (Verve Forecast) - nice psych piece from what I&#39;m guessing is &#39;67. lots of them moody loops and even a b-boy style drumbreak that comes outta nowhere.

Moe Koffman &quot;Curried Soul&quot; (Kama Sutra)

Marvin Gaye &amp; Tammi Terrell &quot;Ain&#39;t No Mountain High Enough&quot; (Motown) - how could you ever pass anything by from these 2? I swear this was like the best Male/female singing duo ever

Margaret Singana &quot;Where is the Love&quot; (Casablanca) - not as good as I&#39;d hoped it be. Some songs got great intro&#39;s but not a good listen all the way through

Saturday random digs...

Sreet Corner Symphony &quot;Little Funk Machine&quot; (ABC) - more mid-late 70&#39;s funk...can&#39;t get enough of this right now

Otis redding &quot;The Immortal&quot; (Atco) - double

Cerrone &quot;The Golden Touch&quot; (Cotillion) - Rocket in the Pocket...[b]double[b]

Al Rahman &quot;Cry of the Floridian tropic Son&quot; (Tablichi) - Man another white whale cleared off the list. I&#39;ve been after this Al Rahman (AKA Doug Carn) for like 4 years. I nearly bugged out when I read the back and saw that it was recorded here in West Covina.

Sunday at PCC I went for quality over quantity

pictured:
                      Mcdonald &amp; Giles &quot;S/T&quot; (Cotillion) - dubbel
                      Merry Clayton &quot;Gimme Shelter&quot; (Ode)
                      CCS &quot;Whole Lota Love&quot; (RAK)
                      JB&#39;s &quot;Doing It To Death (People) - dubbel
                      Charles Kynard &quot;Your Mama Don&#39;t Dance&quot; (Mainstream)
                      Sound Symposium &quot;Contemporary Composers Interpreted&quot; (Dot)

Comment

Went off to that London for a job interview, and devoted a considerable amount of time to record buying afterwards. As well as a whole fistful of top libraries (lots of Mozart Edition - yay&#33, I found:

&#39;The Best Songs Of Our Lives vol 4 - The 50s&#39; - The London Sound Seventy (MCA)
                        Don&#39;t pass this one if you see it - it&#39;s got the funkiest version of &#39;Rock Around The Clock&#39; ever&#33; I kid you not - Pete Smith arranges, Alan Parker solos, it&#39;s brilliant&#33;

Sven Bertil-Taube (EMI)
                        Bought in the hope he would take Edward Woodward&#39;s lead and do a vocal version of the Puppet on a Chain theme - he doesn&#39;t. He does, however, sing &#39;Dixie&#39; in a Swedish accent, which sort of makes up for it.

And best of all.......

&#39;Discolongamax&#39; - Max Bygraves (Pye)
                        Oh yes, it does exist - Max dons his white suit and does his best to cash in on the disco craze, with hilarious consequences. Features Dave Mattacks from Fairport Convention on drums too&#33;

And I went past the old Pye/Marble Arch HQ in Cumberland Place - also the location for the Harlington Straker studios in UFO, so I was whistling the theme tune all day as a consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (miep @ July 05 2004,16:52)]Longo/Farrell/Carter/Brecker - Giganti del Jazz (first one I got in the series that was actually nice - anyone know any good others?)
                          I can recommend the Johnny Lytle one plus the one with Lionel Hampton (I think?) doing a version of Psychedelic Sally.

All the others I&#39;ve heard have been decided average.
                          He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]It was Bennys Badekar. Its a 7&quot; of a danish animated film. The title track is funky as sin - Big drums, big hammond and big daft danish vocals.
                            In a marvellous case of synchronicity, this track features on The Program&#39;s Easter mix.
                            records - one a week mixcloud
                            records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]I can recommend the Johnny Lytle one plus the one with Lionel Hampton (I think?) doing a version of Psychedelic Sally.
                              Yep - second the Lionel Hampton one - actually most of side two is decent.

Is the Johnny Lytle volume the one with &#39;Ode to Billie Joe&#39;? This one has been avoiding my grasp. I looked through what must have been pretty much every volume in the old jazzers shop and it was not to be found&#33;
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X