Xylophone man rip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xylophone man rip

I know there's a fair few Notts types on here, past and present so I thought this needed posting (cribbed from Deep Funk).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/3871021.stm
    http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/id/80

I know that his faultering rendition of the Eastenders theme always brightened my day whenever I visited the Broadmarsh centre.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Tragic news. I was thinking last weekend I hadn't seen him for awhile, wondered if he'd been picked up by Irwin Chusid for an international tour or something...

Still, I can say I've followed his career from its late 80s beginnings, and was even able back in 1993 to put in a good word for him with City Centre Management at a time when they were thinking of only allowing licensed buskers to ply their trade.

My favourite thing was his way of doing a kind of flourish with his arm every couple of notes, and he also experimented and moved with the times: there was a period when he had a toy microphone and mumbled incomprehensibly along with himself, but clearly it didn't work out and he got back to basics.

And so it's farewell to Frank Robinson and his Fischer-Price xylophone, then. He'll be missed.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Frank was a legend. End of.

Even years after moving away from Notts, I have friends ask me if Xylophone Man is still doing his proto-trip hop thing down by Superdrug or Warehouse (he was versatile you see, could play to upmarket crowds too). It's a sad day to have to tell these ex-pats that Frank is no more.

He was like a cross between Gladys Pugh and Charlie Chuck, the melody of the xylophone punctuated with a Tourette's like adlib.

So, who is left to add funk to our lunchbreaks now? Who can make the soulless trudge round Starbucks or Pret A Manger that bit brighter? Not boring blues guitarist man down at M&S, we need that maverick touch that Frank brought to the game.

Anybody out there any good with a kazoo?
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
      X