Ye olde weekend digs thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ye olde weekend digs thread

Looks like my turn to kick off (well, so to speak - I've not lived in Notts that long just yet). Anyway, a few nice bits from the Cattle Market, and a rather pleasant morning all round so far...

New Don Ellis Band Feat. Patti Allen: Goes Underground (CBS)
    Mongo Santamaria: Mongomania (CBS)
    Virginia Astley: From Gardens Where We Feel Secure (Rough Trade/Happy Valley) [this is superb: circa 1980, and sounds EXACTLY like Boards Of Canada]
    Santana: Santana/Abraxas/Third Album (all CBS)
    Osibisa: Heads (MCA) [lovely afro-funky set from 1972 - one of the best I've heard from them]
    Geoff Love & Orchestra: Heat Wave (Columbia) [this is a pretty decent big band exotica set that looks 50s vintage...kind of even earlier Mandingo prototype than even Don Tracy's. How far back does old Geoff go?]
    Stan Butcher Orchestra: Big Band Blowout (Fontana) [Lusher, Verrall, 'Caravan' & 'Sounds Of Mars'...great stuff]
    Les Baxter: Conducts 101 Strings (Marble Arch) [at last!]

Also a few classical/early music LPs in stone mint nick,lute songs, troubadors and Renaissance Dance Music...and a bunch of hip-hop/electronica type things that have gone to the Trades section as I know bog all about any of them.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ July 17 2004,15:15)]Virginia Astley: From Gardens Where We Feel Secure (Rough Trade/Happy Valley) [this is superb: circa 1980, and sounds EXACTLY like Boards Of Canada]
    I've got that lp and a few other bits by her. She's composer Edwin Astleys daughter. 'Gardens' is the very quiet piano one (in the vien of Erik Satie) if i'm not mistaken, green cover with some flowers on it. My missus likes that one but whether thats a reccomendation or not....i'm not sure, she's like that my missus!.
    'Promise nothing' is also by ms Astley and is well worth looking out for it's on the Disques Crepsicule label of 't' early eighties, and i know i've got a couple of ep's somewhere one is called 'Melt the snow' very nice it is too. Nice find Wayne as her stuff is fairly hard to find. I believe there is also a John Foxx (of proto electro/techno 'Underpass' ect) connection as i read that he cited 'Gardens' as one of his all time fave lpees.
    From piano music to post punk electronic pop in one fell swoop, nice one!.
    derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wayne @ July 17 2004,15:15)]Geoff Love & Orchestra: Heat Wave (Columbia) [this is a pretty decent big band exotica set that looks 50s vintage...kind of even earlier Mandingo prototype than even Don Tracy's. How far back does old Geoff go?]
      Stan Butcher Orchestra: Big Band Blowout (Fontana) [Lusher, Verrall, 'Caravan' & 'Sounds Of Mars'...great stuff]
      I always thought 'Heat Wave' was a bit of a proto-Mandingo too, actually - Geoff started out as a trombonist in Harry Gold's Pieces Of Eight in the 40s (with Norrie Paramor on piano&#33, but went solo towards the end of that decade, I think. Nice LP.

I like the Stan Butcher one too, especially the stripper music title track! And is that Barbara Moore I hear in the chorus too? Yes, I rather think it is! Look out for Stan's 'Swing Like A B.....' LP on CBS, which if anything is even better, and features Barbara as a composer as well as a singer.

Yesterday I got me these ones:

The European Sound Stage Orchestra - 'Pleasure Spectacle' (KPM)
      I love that 60s Syd Dale sound, with Kenny Clare drumming like a loony, Alan Parker going a bit fuzzy, and possibly even a bit of Harold MacNair in there too - this particular LP was played quite a bit in the 60s when ITV went on strike.

Keith Mansfield and others - 'Sports Stadium' (Bruton)
      One of the best Brutons ever - lots of huge brassy stuff. And it's got the theme from 'Mathscore' on it too. What more could you want?

Tanotis - 'C'era Una Volta' (Horse Shoe)
      This seems to be an obscure Italian library LP - anyone got any more info on the Horse Shoe label? Musically, it's all Italian folk music with added Moog.

Chico Holiday - 'I've Never Known A Love Like This' (King)
      Contains possibly the only breakless 'PYHITH' in the world.

Glenda Wright - 'My Musical World' (Arrow)
      More privately pressed, autographed cabaret stuff, mainly notable for the high speed disco organ version of '2001'

Norman Candler's Magic Strings - 'Sentimental Journey' (Telefunken)
      Great version of 'Swedish Summernight'

English Chorale - 'BBC Nationwide Christmas Carols' (Word)
      One very odd one, 'Postage Stamp Gardens', that's a bit avant-garde and synth heavy. What would Frank Bough say?

Various - Camillos Hitparade (S*R)
      German compilation, includes an interesting psych track arranged by (and featuring the organ of) Alan Hawkshaw, 'Question of Childhood' by Adam & Dee. Anyone know anything about this one, then?

Comment

A record dealer friend popped by to say thanks for me showing him the gentle rain record. Cheeky bugger found one in a pile of 2500 records. Anyway as to say thanks he gave me this lot (He knew I liked COS and dot records).

The Hair N Thangs is the reish/boot (awesome). The Bones Galore & Band Of Gold are doubles. The COS sampler has got to be the 50th I've got somewhere. Someday people will want fever...And the Red Polydor is an og 'Certain Lions & Tigers' sans cover! I'll trade the bones galore and band for other cos records I havent got.

Haven't listened to the rest yet.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

sermad that glitterhouse record has a nice break used by the wiseguys&#33;

some finds (mostly e-arrivals):

sounds to make you shiver (pickwick) what no story? just one or to sentences to introduce the thing. weak.
          bela lugosi, karloff, etc: the great radio horror shows (murray hill) and this doesnt have enough sound fx&#33;
          boris karloff: an evening with (decca) perfect example on how it should be done&#33;&#33;

i raelly love cheap horror stuff like this... need.... MORE&#33;&#33; help me out&#33;    

scooby doo: den mystiska skivstudion (mrecords) would be scooby and the spooky recordstudio in english..
          sesam grodan kermit och det glada gänget (cbs) sadly no swedish version of the funky cookie monster song

eric framond: palpitations (mp2000) bigband funk with loud horns, recommended.
          lesiman: high tension 1, 3, 4 (vedette) around 10e each... but who has vol 2 and wants to part with it? need to complete the collection... these are very overhyped actually. but i still want vol 2 none the less
          simtec and wylie: gettin over the hump (mercury) cool funk lp with the awesome title track, fuzz getaars, organ, and horns.. everything you need
          south shore comission: self titled (wand) classy souldiscofunk:ish&#33; i wish they made some slower tracks tho

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (sermad @ July 17 2004,17:00)]A record dealer friend popped by to say thanks for me showing him the gentle rain record. Cheeky bugger found one in a pile of 2500 records. Anyway as to say thanks he gave me this lot (He knew I liked COS and dot records).

The Hair N Thangs is the reish/boot (awesome). The Bones Galore &amp; Band Of Gold are doubles. The COS sampler has got to be the 50th I&#39;ve got somewhere. Someday people will want fever...And the Red Polydor is an og &#39;Certain Lions &amp; Tigers&#39; sans cover&#33; I&#39;ll trade the bones galore and band for other cos records I havent got.

Haven&#39;t listened to the rest yet.

the lyn roman is a nice album, couple of good tracks, as is the shelly manne, which has been plundered a few times down the years (think smut peddlers maybe used it?)

Comment

My finds

7 inches

The Superb Lyrebird - Australia&#39;s forest singer (wildlife sounds)
              Coumbia
              Polly/Wonderboy - The Kinks - Astor
              Polydor&#39;s &quot;Guitar album&quot; flexi promo
              Let it All Out (Let it All Hang Out)/ Go Girl, Go - The Hombres - Verve
              Best of the Beatles - The Leo Challic Orch. - Concert Hall
              Wages of Sin - Steptoe and Son - Astor

Lp&#39;s

Singin&#39; in the Rain - Sheila B. Devotion - Carrere
              I Will - Zack Laurence orch - DJM (African Waltz, Things We Said Today, Son of a preacher Man, Hinky Tonk Train Blues)
              Jingle Bells - Shirley Watts Accordion Band - EMS
              Too Much Tequila - Ruben Rodriguez &amp; his Guadalajara Kings - Liberty
              Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Sing songs of Christmas - Astor
              (Hanna Barbera kiddies lp)
              Shadow of your Smile - Arthur lyman - Hi Fi Records
              The Best of Eric Burdon and the Animals - MGM
              El topo - Alexandro Jodorowsky - Apple
              Rollercoatser - Lalo Schifrin - MCA
              Sounds For a Swinging Christmas - Dali Caldis Ensemble - Summit
              The last Run - Jerry Goldsmith - MGM
              Smooth - Mike Sammes Singers - MFP
              The Music of Z - Mikis Theoradakis - CBS - (Cafe Rock)
              Live At The Playboy Club - The Ray King Soul Band - CBS
              Flashpoint - Ray Davies - Philips
              Hammond Gold - Duke Grant - MFP (finally got it)
              Sounds Like Hits 7 - Astor (Rediffusion lp)
              Tutti&#39;s Trumpets - Disneyland Records (jazz lp on kids label??)
              God bless Fatso.

Comment

Cheers for the info on Virginia Astley, Mr Child&#33; Will look out for the others, as I&#39;m really getting quite into this sound...

As for Geoff Love, gawd bless his whipcrackin&#39; bash at Sabre Dance, and his very satisfactory takes on &#39;Temptation&#39; etc. Any other good &#39;early&#39; Geoff Loves to find? Still looking for &#39;Swing Like A B....&#39; by Stan Butcher - most of his stuff I&#39;ve found so far has had its moments, actually...

Anyway, all that aside, here&#39;s the tally for the Colwick Booter this morning:

Shelly Manne: Mannekind (Mainstream) [that&#39;s a &#39;snap&#39; with Sermad there&#33; Strange...]
                Lee Morgan Quintet: S/T (Joy) [nice jazzy grooves]
                Marty Paich/Mel Lewis/Art Pepper etc: Jazz West Coast (Valiant) [more nice jazz grooves]
                The Valiant Orchestra: S/T (Valiant) [great set&#33; spare]
                Millie Jackson: Still Caught Up (Polydor) [didn&#39;t know about this - if it&#39;s even half as good as &#39;Caught Up&#39; will be £1 well spent]
                Facts Of Life: Sometimes (Kayvette) [Muscle Shoals, Millie Jackson production...worth a try, anyway]
                The Chills: Brave Words (Flying Nun) [sort of NZ Go Betweens...some nice stuff on here]
                Henry Mancini: Music From Peter Gunn (RCA)
                Bob Azzam et son Orchestre: Dance Party (Musicor)
                Lou Rawls: Naturally (Polydor)
                Design: S/T (Epic) [nice Syd Dale arranged vocal harmony pop thing - sort of folkier UK Free Design feel to it...lovely stuff. Playing it right now. And will be playing it again as soon as it ends...]

Oh, and mustn&#39;t forget the lone 45 - Martian Melody by The Martian Symphony Orchestra on Luniverse Records. With a comedy &#39;cut up&#39; on the flip called Flying Saucer The 2nd. Your guess is as good as mine, really.
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I&#39;ll do you a tape of &#39;Swing LIke A B....&#39; if you want - Jonny Trunk says on his website it&#39;s a bit of a git to find, apparently.

Saw a load of Design singles some years ago, and spotted the Syd Dale/Gerry Butler/Go Ahead Music connection, but they didn&#39;t grab me on first listen. Having said that, I&#39;m really into that Free Design style vibe at the moment, so maybe I was a bit hasty&#33;

Comment

Through the postbox:
                    my first Hudson EP - the Ten Plus/Hot Night one
                    Barbara Ruskin - Pawnbroker Pawnbroker 45 nice girl/fuzz/soul
                    Sweet - Got To Have More Love 45 - northern sounding beat
                    Red Beans &amp; Rice - Mes Around 45 - cheap rocky funk
                    Hot Property - Hard To Handle 45 - nice gutsy heavy version
                    From Newquay:
                    Outer Limits - Black Boots 45 - groovy organ beat instro
                    Electric Flag - Soul Searchin 45 - another cool instro: rocks&#33;
                    Chartbusters Now&#33; - 1969 Marble Arch comp inc. some interesting arrangements
                    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Serms - can I trade you for that Band of Gold double please?
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

No worries lee san&#33;

Hey wayne. Is there anything good on that Les Baxter record. I&#39;ve got it somewhere. Never checked it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (sermad @ July 18 2004,16:33)]Hey wayne. Is there anything good on that Les Baxter record. I&#39;ve got it somewhere. Never checked it.
                          &#39;Tomorrow For Sure&#39; and &#39;Taste Of Soul&#39; are both killer. Go check it immediately if not sooner...  

After moaning to Ed about the slim chances of finding the US dollarbincommon in UK charity shops I found Bob James&#39; &#39;Three&#39; (with &#39;Westchester Lady&#39 in Oxfam yesterday. And &#39;Armes Aux Et Caetara&#39;.
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ July 17 2004,19:32)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (sermad @ July 18 2004,16:33)]Hey wayne. Is there anything good on that Les Baxter record. I&#39;ve got it somewhere. Never checked it.
                            &#39;Tomorrow For Sure&#39; and &#39;Taste Of Soul&#39; are both killer. Go check it immediately if not sooner...  
                            What he said.

And a tape of the Stan Butcher would be much appreciated, Lord T. I&#39;ve stuck those LPs aside, too.

Personally I&#39;m really liking that Design sound, but I can see how it&#39;d throw you coming at it from the Syd Dale angle - totally different kettle of fish to what you&#39;d expect from him...

Comment

Also got a few of my recent ebays.

Bennys Badekar - Awesome danish kiddies animation 45.
                              Karel Duba - Parade of aces. - Superb czech lounge cheese version of summertime.

Comment

Working...
                              X