modern classical recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modern classical recommendations

breaking away from the fuzz...just listening to penguin cafe orchestra on spotify which has some pretty nice moments, and giving lux aeterna some heavy rotations of late, anyone recommend other modern classical bits that might be worth checking out....?? other than satie/glass/moondog.....ta
    MOSTLY MELLOW

Arvo Part!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Skempton - 'Lento'
      Ades - 'Violin Concerto'
      Takemitsu - 'A Flock Descends Into The Pentagonal Garden'
      Milhaud - 'Le Boeuf Sur Le Toit'
      Feldman - 'Coptic Light'
      Tippet - 'Concerto For Double String Orchestra'
      Hugh Wood - 'Violin Concerto'
      Subotnick - 'Electronic Works'
      Tormis - 'Estonian Lullaby'
      Lindberg - 'Clarinet Concerto'
      Rautavaara - 'Evening Hymn'
      Arnold - 'English Dances op33 Allegro Non Troppo' - you'll know this one

Highly rate Bartok, Martinu and you'll find some nice Medtner by a guy called Hamelin on YouTube.
      A label called NMC does a load of modern, mostly British stuff - like Musgrave and (the mentally technical) Ferneyhough.

Comment

thanks for these, will get a-googling.
        MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

I'm quite fond of the Philip Glass operas Satyagraha and Einstein on the Beach. And some other works - though he is quite repetetive so I got rid of quite a few and kept only the best. They sound pretty much the same unless you're a real aficionado. There's a joke I once read:

- I like one Philip Glass record...
          - Which one?
          - Any one
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

terry riley - in c
            arvo part - passio
            depending on what you mean by modern ... schubert: winterreise (performed by Matthias Goerne is a good one)
            gorecki

phillip glass' bowie versions

the "warp works" double cd by london sinfonietta is v.good also - warp stuff and other modern classical
            Tracks & Grooves - Last Thursday of each month at MILK, Merchants Place, Reading. All-style vinyl throwdown.
            follow the dilletante @tracksgrooves

Comment

Oh it was other than Glass... sorry...

In that case I think I can only second Subotnick - but perhaps give another title of his that I really enjoy - The Wild Bull.
              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

On Part - 'Alina' on ECM is good and 'Da Pacem' on Harmonia Mundi is prettty powerful stuff. Naxos do quite a bit too, 'Triodion' - music for unaccompanied choir is worth a spin.
                ECM press vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyac View Post
                  terry riley - in c
                  arvo part - passio
                  depending on what you mean by modern ... schubert: winterreise (performed by Matthias Goerne is a good one)
                  gorecki

phillip glass' bowie versions

the "warp works" double cd by london sinfonietta is v.good also - warp stuff and other modern classical
                  I suppose modern in that it doesn't sound conventionally classical in the radio 3 sense, something a bit more conceptual like w.sheller, the warp works thing sounds good, I'll check be checking that one out...!!

thanks for the suggestions folks
                  MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Apologies if this sounds rather uncultured, but you might try checking out the Kronos Quartet. Can't remember any titles offhand. They tackle an interesting selection of material by a range of modern classical composers.

I once saw them do a version of 'Purple Haze', which I accept is not everyone's definition of modern classical.

There was also a classical ensemble who were championed by Paul Morley during the mid-to-late 80's. May even have been signed to ZTT. At the time, I remember thinking that they were quite interesting, but I can't remember what they were called.

I realise that that's not much help.....

Comment

I have a too short attention span for these kind of things but does Wim Mertens count if so, he is my man of choice
                      rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by SlippedDisc View Post
                        Apologies if this sounds rather uncultured, but you might try checking out the Kronos Quartet. Can't remember any titles offhand. They tackle an interesting selection of material by a range of modern classical composers.
                        The Kronos Quartet are definitely worth exploring. They indeed do a version of Purple Haze. It's available on the Lp "Sculthorpe, Sallinen, Glass, Nancarrow, Hendrix" - which I guess does as it says on the tin. There work with Zorn is also worth hearing.

Going back a bit Factory did a couple of interesting releases; Kreisler String Orchestra probably the pick, Steve Martland as well (certainly one for Beddoes Bleak thread - in truth this goes beyond bleak and I would only recommend it those of balanced disposition).

Terry Riley is great; avant garde yes, but Modern Classical - not sure. Anyway, check out Shri Camel. Hard to find on vinyl I'm afraid.

When in Rome, the PCO live LP is wonderful, certainly worth getting hold of.

Older works in a modern setting; try Keith Jarrett doing Bach.

Or delve into the ECM New Series. This was originally launched as a platform for Avro Part and many things there may be of interest, Reich and suchlike.

Hunt down Vangelis Invisible Connections on Deutsche Grammophon.

Costellos Juliet Letters is apparently very highly regarded in Classical circles - personally find it a bit stagey. Features the Brodski quartet.

MVE in Soho have a Stockhausen LP that is slowly descending from £40, should anyone be interested, though the shop around the corner from there (Henry something) has a spectacular display of modern classical LPs in the basement, including some lovely Glass box sets. Eye watering prices but very nice to look at.
                        Last edited by piglit'n'rolf; 18-09-2009, 10:56 PM.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                          (Henry something)
                          Harold Moore's on Gt Marlborough St?
                          Haven't been in there for a while, there used to be a younger Aussie(?) guy that worked there. He was into contemporary classical and helped on Resonance's 'Dead & Alive'. He got me into the Feldman stuff.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking of doing a chart of twentieth century classical music (the tracklisting is done), would anyone actually bother downloading it?
                            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
                              I'm seriously thinking of doing a chart of twentieth century classical music (the tracklisting is done), would anyone actually bother downloading it?
                              yes

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Working...
                              X