• Show
Clear All

• Bar-rock

Anyone encountered this one?

Yes!

It's baws!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Cheers Lee. I figured so. Is there anything good on Boulevard? It does have a superbly awful sleeve though. What were they thinking?

Comment

The term 'Rock' is a bit of a misnomer - it's more gentle jazz/swing than anything else. It's the work of Dutch musician Gerry Stellaard, and originally appeared on the Studio 33 label under the title 'Swinging Barock'. A few tracks also turned up on the test card in the mid-70s.

As you've probably guessed, I rather like it, but I would probably suggest other vultures steer clear.

I've got a spare with a really bad edge warp rendering the first couple of tracks on each side unplayable if anyone really wants it!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,13:53)]It's the work of Dutch musician Gerry Stellaard
          didn't we have an email discussion about gerry stellaard once, si? he wrote something wonderful on your testcard minidisc, i seem to remember - "point of no return"?

i need volume two, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,13:53)] It's the work of Dutch musician Gerry Stellaard, and originally appeared on the Studio 33 label under the title 'Swinging Barock'.
            gerry stellaard

Gerard Stellaard used to arrange and produce lost of dutch pop music in the 70's and 80's

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wooly @ July 20 2004,16:07)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,13:53)]It's the work of Dutch musician Gerry Stellaard
              didn't we have an email discussion about gerry stellaard once, si? he wrote something wonderful on your testcard minidisc, i seem to remember - "point of no return"?

i need volume two, btw.    
              Oh yes, that' s right. Still looking for that particular track on vinyl - it's probably on some dodgy budget Dutch LP somewhere!

I'm a bit of a fan of Dutch pop actually - there's some top stuff out there. Who else did Gerard Stellaard arrange for? I know he did some stuff with Herman van Veen, and collaborated a fair bit with Lennart Nijgh (sp?), but I'm interested in his other activities too. He spent much of the 70s composing and arranging for cheapo labels, and a lot of his stuff ended up on Boulevard over here!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,22:11)]He spent much of the 70s composing and arranging for cheapo labels, and a lot of his stuff ended up on Boulevard over here!
                his stuff didn't end up on that awful "stag party" album though. especially "point of no return". hmmm.

Comment

What's 'Stag Party'? I've not heard of that one! I'm very interested in the murky world of budget labels - I understand the street where Boulevard's HQ was is now one of the top locations in the UK for drive-by shootings!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,22:58)]What's 'Stag Party'? I've not heard of that one!
                    there's a whole "my nightmare dig" story that revolves around that one. something involving impaling oneself on a bicycle to the sound of "birds & brass" and getting covered in mud - all for a dismal copy of said record. hmmmm - next time we're all sat round the fire, i'll tell you about it!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 20 2004,22:58)]What's 'Stag Party'? I've not heard of that one!
                      you asked for it, si. here - have a picture.

Comment

Blimey! What does Brillo make of that one, then? Bet he's not as keen on that as he is on the Harry Pitch EP!

Comment

I Have a copy of the Stag party lp somewhere. if anyone is interested let me know and I'll tradie it.

David
                          God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 21 2004,00:22)]Blimey! What does Brillo make of that one, then? Bet he's not as keen on that as he is on the Harry Pitch EP!  
                            he way prefers the harry pitch e.p. - that's quite a cult brillo item now. definitely not a boulevard cat!

he also much prefers the album seen spinning on the turntable there, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X