Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dum dum 45

I didn't know this existed.

Mixing up threads a bit, but Happy Birthday, Mr B.

Just interested in the Pete Shelley credit - also (if I'm not mistaken) behind the Life 'Cat's eyes' 45. Who was he, and what did he have to do with Dum Dum/John Fiddy?

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Cheers Wayne. I'd love some more info on the Dum Dum album. It's an album that's really grown on me over the years. Anyone know who played on it?

Comment

and on the subject of John Fiddy, has anyone heard this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....me=WDVW

Look at that line up! Bet it's rubbish though.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (LDJB @ July 21 2004,13:29)]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....me=WDVW

Look at that line up! Bet it's rubbish though.
          Nope, but I've been watching and wondering exactly the same thing (the old Clem Cattini search).
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

If it wasn't in Germany I'd be tempted for £0.99 - go on Rich - you know you want to
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (LDJB @ July 21 2004,13:34)]If it wasn't in Germany I'd be tempted for £0.99 - go on Rich - you know you want to

Matt's been using me to punt-by-proxy for years - is he now encouraging you lot as well? Still it's cheaper than the copy on Netsounds...
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ July 21 2004,13:23)]Mixing up threads a bit, but Happy Birthday, Mr B.

Just interested in the Pete Shelley credit - also (if I'm not mistaken) behind the Life 'Cat's eyes' 45. Who was he, and what did he have to do with Dum Dum/John Fiddy?

Presumably this was the Peter Shelley of "Gee Baby" / "Love me Love My Dog" 70s pop chart infamy? (Certainly not Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks..)

PS Just thought, I see Peter "Gee Baby" Shelley's rubbish- looking LP all the time. Don't suppose anyone knows whether its got anything on it? Y'never know..... I've had funky finds from Lynsey de Paul and Barry Blue recently.....
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (son of stan @ July 20 2004,15:01)]Presumably this was the Peter Shelley of "Gee Baby" / "Love me Love My Dog" 70s pop chart infamy? (Certainly not Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks..)
                  Kind of what I was wondering, really... Does this mean *swallows hard* I might be well advised to nab my mum's copy of the 'Gee Baby' LP (with 'Love Me Love My Dog' on it)? Or can I leave it where it is?
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Dum-Dum was the idea of Peter Shelley (Alvin Stardust etc) and myself. It's often quoted as being myself and Alan Hawkshaw but this was not the case. Rhythm sectionn was myself - bass guitar, Mike Morgan - guitars, Roger Coulam - Keys, Mike Giles - Drums, and the great Ray Cooper on percussion.
                    Pete and I wrote many of the tunes and I wrote all the arrangements, apart from "The Godfather" which was arranged by Steve Gray.

The frontline was 4 tpts, 4 tbes, and 4 saxes, including greats such as Danny Moss, Ronnie Ross, Ray Warleigh, Don Lusher and others. Rhythm was recorded at a small studio in the East end of London (can't remember the name!) and the front-line at the old Phillips studios at Marble Arch.

I must be the only person in the vinyl world without an original copy - I'd love to find one.

Subsequently the band made a few BBC broadcasts, using the original charts
                    plus some new ones, and had some minor popularity. Seems to have improved with time! I still have all the scores in store along with hundreds of others I wrote over the years.

John Fiddy

Comment

See my earlier message re Dum-Dum. Yes it was Peter Shelley as in himself, and also more famously with Alvin Stardust as writer and producer. I wrote and conducted all the arrangements for Alvin and Peter, and also played bass guitar.

Great fun times, apart from having to work with Michael Levy (as in Lord Levy) of Magnet Records.

John Fiddy

Comment

Thanks for the info, John. And for the record you're certainly not the only person without an original copy. It's really tough to find (unless you're llmod1), very sought after and often expensive. I'm sure there's plenty of people still trying to track a copy down.

Comment

I have been really lucky with this LP, I've found 4 copies in approx the last year for peanuts. I really like this LP, for me it's up there witht he Hanged Man for UK beaty stuff.

Never seen a 45 though

Comment

I had the Dum Dum 45, got it from Adam Brecher, don´t remember to who I sold it to. probably a japanese guy that buy stuff like that from me
                            rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Working...
                            X