Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resting in peace

Top Composer Gadge passes on

Makes my arse laugh the amount of stellar work this guy's done and they tag him as 'Rambo Composer' - fucking *great*!

And Sacha Distel passed on today too. Ok, much of the suave lothario's output was toss, and he accounted for the demise of that fit one off Chateauvallon, but you know, one for the Mums everywhere and also the 'Hippies' tune with Serge and Brigitte.

Have a good rest fellas.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Let's not forget Sacha Distel helped propel Nick Ingman to megastardom via his TV series, and he also wrote some tracks for KPM too.

RIP, chaps.

Comment

Nick Ingman - megastardom?! Tell me more Mr. Thames!
      A leaping rocker with a strong mood, a moderate beat and a safari feel.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ July 22 2004,21:29)]. . .and also the 'Hippies' tune with Serge and Brigitte.
        Can someone tell me where this appears, please? I was disappointed it wasn't on the Brigitte Bardot LP that's just come out (which I finally managed to prise out of my local sorting office, in case you've read the Royal Mail thread).
        The Pop Music Library

Comment

I've only got it on that Finders Keepers comp. I say 'only' cos it's a comp and therefore easily grabbed in e.g. Selectadisc, excellent though it is, there's still a tinge of guilt at not having been arsed enough to track down an OG.

Same as I'm hoping that Jacques Dutronc's 'Mini Mini Mini' gets lobbed on some comp. Yes the advert was dodgy, but it stayed in my head every day while the ad was running.
          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Righto, thanks chief! Another one for the list.
            The Pop Music Library

Comment

From the Chocolate Starfishsite

SACHA DISTEL  More And More (Warner Brothers K46117 '71  LP)  Four tracks arranged by Johnny Harris.  Tiny writing on rear cover and one side of the green label      EX/EX  4.00

I bet that'll go up a bit.
              Now this!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Cameron @ July 23 2004,08:05)]Nick Ingman  - megastardom?! Tell me more Mr. Thames!
                Nick was the MD on his TV series in the 70s, and although he'd done a fair bit of arranging before then, it was that series that really brought him to the public's attention, I think - certainly it was always mentioned in his biogs at the time.

Comment

Hmm, that's a bit sad. Goldsmith was a bit of a legend, he knocked out some nice OST's, "Our Man Flint", "Sebastian" and "The Long Run" being my faves.

The Brigitte Bardot / Sacha Distel track "Hippies" was originally released on the rare US promo only LP "Special Bardot", in '68. Or is it 69 ? I forget. Anyway, it's an OK LP, as it also has "Comic Strip" and "Bonnie & Clyde" on it. I picked mine up for about £25 on Ebay, but I recently saw it go for a lot more, £50 or so. . .still, I think they appear fairly frequently.

I found one here: http://www.hipwax.com/exotic.html

The guy may well trade with you but I find him a little frustrating at times.

"Brigitte Bardot: [Burlington Cameo Brings You] Special Bardot; RCA Custom BC-1000; 1968; blue-label promo deep groove E-/V+ $60 -- w/Serge Gainsbourg/Sacha Distel; rare ST of a TV special (which we've seen but like the LP better); DJs will want it for "Hippies," a funky raga-rock w/sitar & tabla; some flaws but well worth it at less than 1/2 the price of perfection ($125 book)"

I don't think it's worth $60, but if you wanted it badly. . .

BB's discography is a little annoying really. . if you combined the good tracks from "Special Bardot" and the "Brigitte Bardot Show" LP (which contains "Harley Davidson", "Contact", "Le Diable Est Anglais" and a groovy short instrumental by Francis Lai) then you would have one killer LP. . . well, at least one totally solid side of an LP anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Viva Chiba @ July 23 2004,22:23)]"Brigitte Bardot: [Burlington Cameo Brings You] Special Bardot; RCA Custom BC-1000; 1968; blue-label promo deep groove E-/V+ $60 -- w/Serge Gainsbourg/Sacha Distel; rare ST of a TV special (which we've seen but like the LP better); DJs will want it for "Hippies," a funky raga-rock w/sitar & tabla; some flaws but well worth it at less than 1/2 the price of perfection ($125 book)"
                    There's a BB DVD that you can get which has this TV special on it amongst others. Worth it to see Serge swanning around in hippy esque gear.
                    Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Working...
                    X