Swinging london

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging london

Any cop? It was 6 quid which was too much for a punt!

Couldnt listen to it either. Good/Bad/Ugly?
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Couple of decent obscure 60s beat group tracks on there, courtesy of the First Impression (I bet they didn&#39;t get paid for it too), but I always think this LP&#39;s a bit over-priced, meself. I&#39;ll leave it to others to decide whether it&#39;s worth £6.

Comment

Cool glad I left it. If he drops it down to 3 I&#39;ll grab it.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

i&#39;m sure i&#39;ve got one somewhere, but not on boulevard...

Comment

I think there are two issues - Saga and Boulevard - with slightly different track listings. Aren&#39;t the Good Earth on the Saga one but not the Boulevard?
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

spot-on, john. mine&#39;s on saga. it&#39;s got both the good earth and first impression on...

Comment

The Saga and Boulevard versions I&#39;ve got have identical tracks, just different covers - the Boulevard with the famous shot of the groovers crowded round the Mini, the Saga with a giant miniskirted Harriet Harman lookalike standing astride the Houses of Parliament. The Saga one seems less common, for some reason - the only one I&#39;ve ever seen is the one I&#39;ve got&#33;

The Boulevard sleeve mentions the Good Earth, but it&#39;s really just Russ Sainty with some tracks filched off his Beatles covers LP. Anyone know who the First Impression were? I&#39;m guessing there was a whole LP by them on Saga.

Comment

the excellent Sweet Floral Albion comes to the rescue....

&#39;It is believed that THE FIRST IMPRESSION may have started life as THE FIRST IMPRESSIONS, local (to Saga HQ) lads from Hayes, Middlesex/West London. The First Impressions issued one single:
                &#39;Looking For Her&#39;/&#39;I&#39;m Coming Home&#39; (Pye 7N 15797), 1965 before evolving into THE LEGENDS. Who issued three 45s:
                &#39;I&#39;ve Found Her&#39;/&#39;Something&#39;s Gonna Happen&#39; (Pye 7N 15904) 1965
                &#39;Tomorrow&#39;s Gonna Be Another Day&#39;/&#39;Nobody Laughs Anymore&#39; (Parlophone R 5581) 1967
                &#39;Under The Sky&#39;/&#39;Twenty-Four Hours A Day&#39; (Parlophone R 5613) 1967 before adopting an adapted (singular) version of their first moniker in 1968. Further research is required.&#39;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/marmaladeskies/sfa16.htm

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ July 24 2004,20:02)]Anyone know who the First Impression were? I&#39;m guessing there was a whole LP by them on Saga.
                  Hi Lord Thames, i&#39;ve got an LP by first impression on saga called &#39;beat club&#39;

track listing:

silence is golden
                  gimmie some lovin
                  i was kaiser bills batman
                  san francisco
                  the house that jack built
                  happy together
                  i&#39;m a believer
                  the letter
                  the last waltz
                  mellow yellow
                  puppet on a string
                  sgt peppers lonely hearts club band

cat. no. soc 1045
                  I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Thanks, HM - interesting that none of those tracks appear on Swinging London&#33;

Comment

it turns up on ebay occasionlly, usually for about £5, wait until one turns up for 50p is my advice.

Comment

It&#39;s utter tripe if you ask me. But for what it&#39;s worth, I think one of the groups on it is supposed to be an early incarnation of Mungo Jerry.
                        Endless Tripe

Comment

Yes, I think The Good Earth featured Ray Dorset as their lead singer - though as far as I&#39;m aware, although they&#39;re credited on the sleeve they aren&#39;t actually on the LP itself.

Boulevard, always with an eye for the fast buck, later did an LP called &#39;Ray Dorset&#39;s Best&#39; which featured these recordings (some of which are actually pretty decent rock tracks, albeit very badly recorded) plus what appears to be the original version of &#39;In The Summertime&#39; - dunno how they managed to licence that, that would have involved them spending money, and Boulevard hated that&#33;

Comment

now that&#39;s weird - according,again, to Sweet Floral Albion, the first issue DOES have tracks by Good Earth (pre-Mungo Jerry):

&#39;Let&#39;s dispel one silly myth from the outset: Contrary to what the duffers at 117 would have you believe, the first version is NOT the one to get. The (pre-Mungo Jerry) Good Earth turn in 4 stodgy and uninspired bluesy rock performances which would bore you into a coma if you expose yourself to them for more than 2 minutes.

Boulevard and Saga were two names for the same outfit operating out of an office at 326 Kensal Road, London, W.10.
                            The second version of the LP was intended to be a straight reissue of the 1968 LP. But Mungo&#39;s management having gotten wind, scotched the project. So Saga/Boulevard dug out some old tracks by Russ Sainty to replace the Good Earth material and thus with a minimum of expense and re type-setting the second version was released to an uncaring world.&#39;

so does that mean there are two Saga versions, one with the same tracks as the Boulevard, one with the Good Earth?

Also, is it true that Ray Dorset is the singer (not sure if that&#39;s the right word....) on the &quot;Trumpets-a-Go-Go&quot; lps?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (happy monster @ July 25 2004,18:41)]it turns up on ebay occasionlly, usually for about £5, wait until one turns up for 50p is my advice.
                              there&#39;s one on ebay at the moment search for first impression (sorry i can&#39;t do links)

Comment

Working...
                              X