Weekend digs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend digs

I'm putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.

Friday - Sunday digs:

Cecil mcBee "Mutima" (Strata East)
    Mel Brown "Fifth" (Impulse)
    Mel Brown "I'd Rather Suck My Thumb" (Impulse)
    Joe Pass "Guitar Interludes" (Discovery) - double...again
    Julius Brockington "Praise Him" (ALA) - Julius here in LA getting down on some funky disco gospel.
    Gloria Loring "...and Now We Come To Distances" (evolution) - Darkness, Darkness is a killa! Listen for yourself (copy & paste link to browser) http://www1.budgethostingweb.com/account....ess.mp3

Nate Morgan "Retribution Reparation" (Nimbus)
    Mike Melvoin "Keys To Your Mind" (Liberty)
    Howard Lemon Singers "I am Determined" (Gospel Truth)
    ZZ Hill "Keep On Lovin' You" (United Artists)
    Barbara & Ernie "Prelude" (Cotillion) -
    Stevie Wonder "Eivets Rednow" (Gordy)

Flamingos "" (Ronze) - 1972 LP from these dudes, I knew they had 45's on this label but I wasn't aware of an LP until this morning.
    Wondering Souls "God Is Watching" (Rejoice) - 1978 modern soul gospel LP on a small label out of Cincinatti
    Creative Arts Ensemble "One Step Out" (Nimbus)
    JB's "Breakin' Bread" (People) - double
    Horace Tapscott "The Call" (Nimbus) - double
    Jerry Butler "Sweet Sixteen" (Mercury)

J "The Sensuous woman" (Atlantic)
    Norman Connors "Slewfoot" (Buddah) - cover is water damaged but LP is unplayed
    Los Pianos Barracos "S/T" (Orfeon) - Moody Loops
    Linda Hill "Lullaby For Linda" (Nimbus)
    Helix High School "Choir/ Glee Club 1970" (Century) - copy & paste for a soundclip http://www1.budgethostingweb.com/account....ool.mp3
    Rickey Kelly "Limited Stops Only" (Nimbus)

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]J "The Sensuous woman" (Atlantic)
    The woman who narrates this sounds like Marilyn Chambers.

D
    God bless Fatso.

Comment

Not the best weekend for me as I was on babysitting duty on Saturday afternoon and bad weather washed out the car boots yesterday morning.

Had a very quick nip out on Saturday morning with a bag full of trades for my man on the market (stuff that I found in charities that aren't my thing 'man', but I lack the knowledge to put on eBay with any kind of credibility&#33.

Came back with (* were from PDSA shop):

*Birds and Brass - Are Back
      Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (later Bronze issue)
      *Dan Hill and His Sounds Electronic - Plays Music To Watch Girls By
      Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
      *James Last - Beachparty 3
      John Schroeder - Gangster Movie Vibrations
      John Williams - Changes/Height Below
      Nick Ingman - Love Album
      The Peddlers - Three In A Cell

The guy had every Peddlers album except 'Suite London' - I got excited as I flicked through, only for the usual feeling of anti-climax familiar to all of my girlfriends!
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Very nice scores here, guzzo.

The Nate Morgan and the Howard Lemon Singers are two I've been keeping quiet for a while.

The Howard Lemon is partiularly nice and is getting warm up plays by me at the moment.

Oh and the Ricky Kelly ain't too bad either.

Comment

I got a Nick Ingmans 'Soft Rock' over the weekend. That was it!

Benicio - Is the Gangster Movie a trade?....wink.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Of course it is Serms, why my shelves are literally teeming with such things&#33;

Would swap it for a copy of Newban 2 if you have that spare in your &#39;Soul&#39; section though&#33;&#33;

Didn&#39;t you say you sent me something last week anyway? Nowt&#39;s arrived - just can&#39;t get my head round what&#39;s going on with the mail at the moment&#33;
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Yeah it was a cd of mars volta live gigs. I&#39;ll send again.

Comment

Oh nice one.

I&#39;ll let you know if it turns up though.

First class takes anything up to a week at the moment. Bizarre. It makes eBaying difficult cos I don&#39;t know whether to believe folk when they say they&#39;ve sent their payments&#33;
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I had this weekend off. But i did dig out a 7&quot; of the astranova orchestra &quot;midnight blue&quot; (aka &quot;soul sleeper&quot from behind a crate underneath where i&#39;ve got my turntable set up. i didn&#39;t realise i had it so that was a nice enough little find
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ July 26 2004,08:57)]*Dan Hill and His Sounds Electronic - Plays Music To Watch Girls By
                    Just out of interest, is this the version with the censored cover? The South African authorities regarded Dan&#39;s LP covers as too racy, so they made CBS put string bikinis on the girls (despite the fact you can&#39;t really see anything anyway&#33

I&#39;ve got an uncensored version of &#39;66/33 Sounds Electronic&#39; - dunno whether these versions are any rarer though. Funny how so many of Dan&#39;s LPs made it to England. I wonder if they&#39;ve all just come in from South African ex-pats.

Top set of finds, BTW&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]I&#39;m putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.
                      Guzzo, if you fancy a life swap you are more than happy to spend your Sundays marvelling at Mrs Mills and Top Of The Pops LP&#39;s at my local Car Boot Sale, while I buy soulfunkjazzraer from swap meets in the West Coast.

He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 26 2004,17:16)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]I&#39;m putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.
                        Guzzo, if you fancy a life swap you are more than happy to spend your Sundays marvelling at Mrs Mills and Top Of The Pops LP&#39;s at my local Car Boot Sale, while I buy soulfunkjazzraer from swap meets in the West Coast.

Seconded&#33; I know hardly any of your finds Mr. Guzzo but, if you&#39;re finding doubles of Joe Pass and the JB&#39;s, I want to be where you are.

Don&#39;t nobody explain the Eurovision Song Contest and we can continue the illusion that we&#39;re talking about &#39;fancy European records&#39;.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ July 26 2004,17:20)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 26 2004,17:16)]
                          Originally posted by [b

Seconded&#33; I know hardly any of your finds Mr. Guzzo but, if you&#39;re finding doubles of Joe Pass and the JB&#39;s, I want to be where you are.

Don&#39;t nobody explain the Eurovision Song Contest and we can continue the illusion that we&#39;re talking about &#39;fancy European records&#39;.

Haha, I think this is a case of the grass always being breener on the other side. I am kinda shocked about you not knowing some of the titles Rich, but now that I think about it it makes sense because I hardly know what albums you guys are talking about 98% of the time.

As for the dobles of Joe Pass, Thats more a regional thing. Both the Nimbus label and the Discovery Label were Los Angeles based record companies. ALthough they aren&#39;t &quot;all over the place&quot; you are probably more likely to find them in LA than anywhere else. The JB&#39;s was just dumb luck, but I was glad to pay my one dollar for it and walk away with a 2nd clean copy.

This site is like a classroom for freign guys to sit in on and learn about LP&#39;s that they don&#39;t see in everyday life. When I finally get off my lazy ass and take a trip to England I think I&#39;ll be slightly prepped in what to grab from car boots and oxfoams

Comment

I had a nice surprise when I got home. This 4pm postie malarky is all good in my book. Means I go off to work a grumpy sod and come back to 3 new records all lovingly elastic banded together by the postie. Top guy&#33;

Er anyway.

Remigio Ducross - America Giovane - Italian library in henrix copycat shocker. Dope funky blues/rock thing.
                            Synthesiser &amp; Percussion - I think its the last of the good Themes I need. Ack no theres one more. &#39;Pulse Of Events&#39;.
                            Pierre Dutour - DMM13 Chappell - Can&#39;t remember if there is out good on this. Twas cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Just out of interest, is this the version with the censored cover? The South African authorities regarded Dan&#39;s LP covers as too racy, so they made CBS put string bikinis on the girls (despite the fact you can&#39;t really see anything anyway&#33
                              Nah, this young lady is tastefully preserving her modesty with a length of red silk. You can see some curvature, but no nip.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X