Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend digs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weekend digs

    I'm putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.

    Friday - Sunday digs:


    Cecil mcBee "Mutima" (Strata East)
    Mel Brown "Fifth" (Impulse)
    Mel Brown "I'd Rather Suck My Thumb" (Impulse)
    Joe Pass "Guitar Interludes" (Discovery) - double...again
    Julius Brockington "Praise Him" (ALA) - Julius here in LA getting down on some funky disco gospel.
    Gloria Loring "...and Now We Come To Distances" (evolution) - Darkness, Darkness is a killa! Listen for yourself (copy & paste link to browser) http://www1.budgethostingweb.com/account....ess.mp3


    Nate Morgan "Retribution Reparation" (Nimbus)
    Mike Melvoin "Keys To Your Mind" (Liberty)
    Howard Lemon Singers "I am Determined" (Gospel Truth)
    ZZ Hill "Keep On Lovin' You" (United Artists)
    Barbara & Ernie "Prelude" (Cotillion) -
    Stevie Wonder "Eivets Rednow" (Gordy)


    Flamingos "" (Ronze) - 1972 LP from these dudes, I knew they had 45's on this label but I wasn't aware of an LP until this morning.
    Wondering Souls "God Is Watching" (Rejoice) - 1978 modern soul gospel LP on a small label out of Cincinatti
    Creative Arts Ensemble "One Step Out" (Nimbus)
    JB's "Breakin' Bread" (People) - double
    Horace Tapscott "The Call" (Nimbus) - double
    Jerry Butler "Sweet Sixteen" (Mercury)


    J "The Sensuous woman" (Atlantic)
    Norman Connors "Slewfoot" (Buddah) - cover is water damaged but LP is unplayed
    Los Pianos Barracos "S/T" (Orfeon) - Moody Loops
    Linda Hill "Lullaby For Linda" (Nimbus)
    Helix High School "Choir/ Glee Club 1970" (Century) - copy & paste for a soundclip http://www1.budgethostingweb.com/account....ool.mp3
    Rickey Kelly "Limited Stops Only" (Nimbus)

  • #2
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]J "The Sensuous woman" (Atlantic)
    The woman who narrates this sounds like Marilyn Chambers.

    D
    God bless Fatso.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not the best weekend for me as I was on babysitting duty on Saturday afternoon and bad weather washed out the car boots yesterday morning.

      Had a very quick nip out on Saturday morning with a bag full of trades for my man on the market (stuff that I found in charities that aren't my thing 'man', but I lack the knowledge to put on eBay with any kind of credibility&#33.

      Came back with (* were from PDSA shop):

      *Birds and Brass - Are Back
      Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (later Bronze issue)
      *Dan Hill and His Sounds Electronic - Plays Music To Watch Girls By
      Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
      *James Last - Beachparty 3
      John Schroeder - Gangster Movie Vibrations
      John Williams - Changes/Height Below
      Nick Ingman - Love Album
      The Peddlers - Three In A Cell

      The guy had every Peddlers album except 'Suite London' - I got excited as I flicked through, only for the usual feeling of anti-climax familiar to all of my girlfriends!
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice scores here, guzzo.

        The Nate Morgan and the Howard Lemon Singers are two I've been keeping quiet for a while.

        The Howard Lemon is partiularly nice and is getting warm up plays by me at the moment.

        Oh and the Ricky Kelly ain't too bad either.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got a Nick Ingmans 'Soft Rock' over the weekend. That was it!

          Benicio - Is the Gangster Movie a trade?....wink.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

          Comment


          • #6
            Of course it is Serms, why my shelves are literally teeming with such things&#33;

            Would swap it for a copy of Newban 2 if you have that spare in your &#39;Soul&#39; section though&#33;&#33;

            Didn&#39;t you say you sent me something last week anyway? Nowt&#39;s arrived - just can&#39;t get my head round what&#39;s going on with the mail at the moment&#33;
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah it was a cd of mars volta live gigs. I&#39;ll send again.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

              Comment


              • #8
                Oh nice one.

                I&#39;ll let you know if it turns up though.

                First class takes anything up to a week at the moment. Bizarre. It makes eBaying difficult cos I don&#39;t know whether to believe folk when they say they&#39;ve sent their payments&#33;
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had this weekend off. But i did dig out a 7&quot; of the astranova orchestra &quot;midnight blue&quot; (aka &quot;soul sleeper&quot from behind a crate underneath where i&#39;ve got my turntable set up. i didn&#39;t realise i had it so that was a nice enough little find
                  Endless Tripe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ July 26 2004,08:57)]*Dan Hill and His Sounds Electronic - Plays Music To Watch Girls By
                    Just out of interest, is this the version with the censored cover? The South African authorities regarded Dan&#39;s LP covers as too racy, so they made CBS put string bikinis on the girls (despite the fact you can&#39;t really see anything anyway&#33

                    I&#39;ve got an uncensored version of &#39;66/33 Sounds Electronic&#39; - dunno whether these versions are any rarer though. Funny how so many of Dan&#39;s LPs made it to England. I wonder if they&#39;ve all just come in from South African ex-pats.

                    Top set of finds, BTW&#33;

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]I&#39;m putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.
                      Guzzo, if you fancy a life swap you are more than happy to spend your Sundays marvelling at Mrs Mills and Top Of The Pops LP&#39;s at my local Car Boot Sale, while I buy soulfunkjazzraer from swap meets in the West Coast.

                      He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 26 2004,17:16)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]I&#39;m putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.
                        Guzzo, if you fancy a life swap you are more than happy to spend your Sundays marvelling at Mrs Mills and Top Of The Pops LP&#39;s at my local Car Boot Sale, while I buy soulfunkjazzraer from swap meets in the West Coast.

                        Seconded&#33; I know hardly any of your finds Mr. Guzzo but, if you&#39;re finding doubles of Joe Pass and the JB&#39;s, I want to be where you are.

                        Don&#39;t nobody explain the Eurovision Song Contest and we can continue the illusion that we&#39;re talking about &#39;fancy European records&#39;.

                        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ July 26 2004,17:20)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ July 26 2004,17:16)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ July 26 2004,05:36)]I&#39;m putting this up because its the only damn thing I can contribute to this site, all you fancy guys with your fancy knowledge of your facy european records make me feel mediocre and insecure.
                          Guzzo, if you fancy a life swap you are more than happy to spend your Sundays marvelling at Mrs Mills and Top Of The Pops LP&#39;s at my local Car Boot Sale, while I buy soulfunkjazzraer from swap meets in the West Coast.

                          Seconded&#33; I know hardly any of your finds Mr. Guzzo but, if you&#39;re finding doubles of Joe Pass and the JB&#39;s, I want to be where you are.

                          Don&#39;t nobody explain the Eurovision Song Contest and we can continue the illusion that we&#39;re talking about &#39;fancy European records&#39;.

                          Haha, I think this is a case of the grass always being breener on the other side. I am kinda shocked about you not knowing some of the titles Rich, but now that I think about it it makes sense because I hardly know what albums you guys are talking about 98% of the time.

                          As for the dobles of Joe Pass, Thats more a regional thing. Both the Nimbus label and the Discovery Label were Los Angeles based record companies. ALthough they aren&#39;t &quot;all over the place&quot; you are probably more likely to find them in LA than anywhere else. The JB&#39;s was just dumb luck, but I was glad to pay my one dollar for it and walk away with a 2nd clean copy.

                          This site is like a classroom for freign guys to sit in on and learn about LP&#39;s that they don&#39;t see in everyday life. When I finally get off my lazy ass and take a trip to England I think I&#39;ll be slightly prepped in what to grab from car boots and oxfoams

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I had a nice surprise when I got home. This 4pm postie malarky is all good in my book. Means I go off to work a grumpy sod and come back to 3 new records all lovingly elastic banded together by the postie. Top guy&#33;

                            Er anyway.

                            Remigio Ducross - America Giovane - Italian library in henrix copycat shocker. Dope funky blues/rock thing.
                            Synthesiser &amp; Percussion - I think its the last of the good Themes I need. Ack no theres one more. &#39;Pulse Of Events&#39;.
                            Pierre Dutour - DMM13 Chappell - Can&#39;t remember if there is out good on this. Twas cheap.
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Just out of interest, is this the version with the censored cover? The South African authorities regarded Dan&#39;s LP covers as too racy, so they made CBS put string bikinis on the girls (despite the fact you can&#39;t really see anything anyway&#33
                              Nah, this young lady is tastefully preserving her modesty with a length of red silk. You can see some curvature, but no nip.
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X