Future licorice soul releases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future licorice soul releases?

I seem to recall Ed asking for suggestions a while back and it's been playing on my mind. One thing that would be perfect for a Licorice Soul reissue is 'Magician In The Mountain' by Sunforest. That would be great on a 45. It's also the only thing that's funky on an impossible to find album (although I disagree with B-Music's 'it's the only good track on the album' theory. I like the whole thing.)

Another much more obvious choice is 'Lonely Jelly'. That would be great on a 45.

Anyone else?

Hen's March / Funky Beggarman - Jimmy Pryde
    Finger Sauce / Heavy Spaceman - Hal Vincent
    Soul Searchin' / I Got You - Power Pack
    Undertaker Song / Loot's the Root - Keith Mansfield
    Soul Organ Impromptu / Move Move Move - Alan Hawkshaw

Yes - I've thought about this before.

Also a couple of tracks from the Chis Harwood LP and too many UK jazz and prog tracks to mention (Mike Westbrooke, Battered Ornaments etc........................)
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (LDJB @ July 27 2004,13:29)]Also a couple of tracks from the Chis Harwood LP and too many UK jazz and prog tracks to mention (Mike Westbrooke, Battered Ornaments etc........................)
      Battered Ornaments 45???

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Its such a shame that the loot 45 doesnt have undertaker song. Its 'loots the root/more more more' which do grate a bit due to the vocals. I bought the lp and much to my surprise the 45 was tucked in there too. Really made my day that one!

A power pack 45 would be awesome. 'I got you' is one of the best groovy funk cuts I've ever heard. I'm still waiting for this 'reissue' of the lp to drop. If it was crap then I'll try and crack on with things.

The problem with Hawkshaw 45's is that he's seen as a dirty word by distros now. I think Blow up killed a lot of really good library comp ideas just because distros wont really touch them now.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;ve never seen &#39;Soul Organ...&#39; comped anywhere and it&#39;s such a superb track.

Wouldn&#39;t the problem with most of my choice be the Polydor connection?

Comment

Just though of another:

One Fine Love / Revelations - Ian Green

UK Axelrod ITA&#33;

Comment

Soul Organ Impromptu was on one of the &#39;Hotel Easy&#39; CDs.

What exactly is the situation about library comps that Sermad&#39;s referring to? I&#39;m rather out of the loop on that sort of thing, you see - has the Hawkshaw name been irretrievably sullied? And what have Blow Up got to do with it? I got Exclusive Blend 2 out recently, and I&#39;d forgotten how good it was.

Mind you, getting involved in Gap adverts is beyond the pale......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (LDJB @ July 27 2004,13:57)]Just though of another:

One Fine Love / Revelations - Ian Green

UK Axelrod ITA&#33;
                two of the best tracks i&#39;ve heard this month. still hammering the entire album - a 45 would be very nice indeed.

Comment

I noticed the Mohawks &#39;Baby Hold On&#39; on a mobile phone advert last night - would that be KPM or would it be whoever owns Pama these days?

Comment

You mention library compilation to a distro and they&#39;ll probably not take it on. I&#39;m not joking either. Dirty dirty word.

Comment

Gits. Why?

Comment

They think the style of music has had its revival and thats it. Most I speak to are anti the Blow Up/Hawkshaw/KPM stylee. They like library remix lps though. Always ask for them (and how am I going to afford to license the tracks and pay the remixers)...Bugger.

Comment

Is the 45 Mike Westbrook&#39;s Original Peter rare? Because to me, that&#39;s the Licorice Soul sound - a sort of blend of UK/Europe jazzy, souly, slightly library and definitely kooky. Witchhunt (psychomania) would be a nice choice for a &#39;dark side&#39; of Licorice Soul, but I&#39;d definitely stay away from the straight library re-issue game - Ed &amp; the lads are more interesting than that&#33;

Maybe even Mambusso backed with that crazy Turkish song?
                          http://wakeupanddie.com
                          http://weirdgearnyc.com
                          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Magician in the Mountain b/w Glastonbury would make a right Hobbit of a 45...
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]They think the style of music has had its revival and thats it. Most I speak to are anti the Blow Up/Hawkshaw/KPM stylee.
                              Would this explain why I can never get library comps and the like up here e.g. Harlem Pop Trotters re-ish?

I had thought it was due to my local Fopp etc not wanting to stock anything of dubious legality (apart from dodgy mash up boots of course) or the limited nature of such releases.

Bit of a pisser if the distributors are dictating what can and can&#39;t be stocked in shops and, therefore, what I can and can&#39;t buy

Comment

Working...
                              X