New boy seeks guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boy seeks guidance

who are the les humphris singers and are they worth checking out? just seen an interesting cover and wondered....

I've had a couple and no on both. They both had promising covers too. They're vaguely collectable for Uriah Heep fans though as the dude that replaced the main dude in UH was in the LHS.

Comment

Welcome Mr. Claw! The only Les Humphries LP I have has a track on called 'Ramseys Back' which is quite a nice, and long, jazz number (there's also a decent take on 'The Frog' on there, I believe). Surprisingly, I can't find any mention on the main site. But this LP you're considering is a cheapie you could always take a punt and discover something good and new to us all (of course, it could well be a right duffer   ). Happy digging!
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ July 28 2004,17:25)]I've had a couple and no on both. They both had promising covers too. They're vaguely collectable for Uriah Heep fans though as the dude that replaced the main dude in UH was in the LHS.
        What, David Byron?
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

John Lawton

Comment

I've got a few (there seems to be hundreds of the buggers) and only one has a track of note - sort of a northern stomper thing but Sie Vulture played me a mad track off one of them (can't remember the name - summat to do with brazil I think) and the aforementioned Ramseys Back is indeed a corker!
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Cheers, i shall get back to the red cross and give it a go.

Comment

"Singing Kaleidoscope" has a medley with a couple of breaks in it...
                Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Urgh, this brings back German childhood memories. You could not avoid seeing them on German TV in the seventies. They had major major hits with Carnival, Mama Loo (not a song about your old lady doing a backorder release...) and of course Mexico.

I googled them to refresh my memory and found this website which is rather entertaining if you can read German. Apparently, Mr. Humphries became a little bit of a megalomaniac at the zenith of his choir's carreer and asked Elvis Presley to appear as the opening support-act for his concerts. The King did not even bother to reply to the multi-million Dollar offer...

They also include this rather funny episode: Even after the definite end of the choir's career, Les Humphries continued to collect royalties as the composer of the title music to the highly successful German cop-show Derrick which (unusual for a German production) even sold well internationally. A few hours before the last Derrick episode screened in 1998 a man called a London newspaper and identified himself as Les Humphries' brother. He claimed Les had just died. A little bit of research revealed that Les never had a brother. The caller was Les himself, seemingly unable to accept that nobody showed an interest in him anymore.

The aforementioned website claims there are approx. 30 singles and these albums:

1970 Rock My Soul
                  1970 Singing Explosion (Medleys)
                  1970 Singing Revolution (Medleys)
                  1971 We'll Fly You To The Promised Land
                  1971 Singing Kaleidoscope (Medleys)
                  1971 We Are Goin' Down Jordan
                  1971 Singing Detonation (Medleys)
                  1971 Old Man Moses
                  1971 Sing Hallelujah
                  1971 Live In Concert (Hamburg 20.11.1971)
                  1972 Seasons Greetings (Christmas Carols)
                  1972 Singing Rotations (Medleys)
                  1972 Mexico
                  1973 Sound 73 (Medleys)
                  1973 Mama Loo
                  1973 The World Of The Les Humphries Singers (Compilation)
                  1973 Live In Europe
                  1973 Carnival
                  1973 Happy Sounds
                  1973 Sound 73 Vol. 2 (Medleys)
                  1974 Kansas City
                  1974 Sound 74 (Medleys)
                  1974 Piano Party (Double-Album)
                  1974 The Golden World Of The Les Humphries Singers (Compilation)
                  1974 One Of These Days
                  1974 Rock & Roll Party (Rock-Medleys)
                  1974 Rock & Roll Party Vol. 2 (Rock-Medleys)
                  1975 Live For Today
                  1975 Les Humphries 75 (Medleys)
                  1975 Amazing Grace Of The Les Humphries Singers (Compilation)
                  1975 Singing & Swinging - World Hits For Dancing
                  1975 Party on the rocks (medleys)
                  1975 Family Show
                  1975 The Les Humphries Singers Live (Double-Album)
                  1976 Singing Sensations (Medleys)
                  1976 Sing Sang Song
                  1976 Grand Galas - The Les Humphries Singers (Compilation)
                  1976 Disco Dancing (Medleys)
                  1982 Portrait Of The Les Humphries Singers (Double-Album)
                  1996 The Best Of The Les Humphries Singers (Compilation)

As with most 70s groups, even if the music sucked, the covers still entertain:
                  http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-sd.jpg http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/rlhs3_.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-car.jpghttp://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-oott.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-ml.jpg
                  http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-kc.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-s74b.jpg
                  http://www.geocities.com/lesshumphries/lhs-kci3.jpg

Comment

Singing Explosion is highly recommended by me - great versions of 'Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye' (with top drum break), 'American Woman' and a 2001 soundalike called 'Mandrake'. If you only buy one Les Humphries LP, this is the one!

Interestingly, Les wasn't German, as I thought, but an ex-Royal Marine from Surrey!

Comment

I've got one somewhere, the "Rock My Soul" one, I think. I haven't seen it for years but if I remember correctly there are a couple of breaks on it if you're into that kinda thing.
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Yemsky @ July 28 2004,21:14)]Urgh, this brings back German childhood memories. You could not avoid seeing them on German TV in the seventies...
                        That was interesting stuff Yemsky (especially the bit about phoning the newspaper).  

Anyone know if Les himself recorded a version of 'Soul House'? I was just playing Max Greger's 'Sunshine Starshine' last night and noticed that, besides arranging the LP, he's apparently credited with writing this track too...

Comment

Dear old Les...an even lower 'hit' rate than old Hansi...wasted a few pence on him so far, like a lot of you i guess...

the 1975 live double has a track where the dreaded singers troop offstage and we are just left with the band for a chugging geetar riff-monster called 'Break', i think..only lasts for a minute and a half, but its his best minute by a distance!

there's a good-ish versh of Popcorn somewhere on his LP's and that Mexico track is one for the beat-heads.

so who is the funniest looking singer? the Damo Suzuki lookalike with no shoes gets my vote! crazy baby!

Comment

Generally, Les' stuff isn't terribly inspiring - I've seen good things written about 'Mexico', but it doesn't exactly set my pulse racing. (I've got a spare, if anyone wants it.)

'Singing Explosion' is, I think, the only really decent one. He did a couple of instrumental LPs for Telefunken though, which might be OK. He was also connected with Robert Last in some way, and his versions of Lucretia MacEvil, Black Night and Hey Joe are great.

Les was also behind the New Freedom Singers on MFP.....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Les was also behind the New Freedom Singers
                              Bet that had them worried.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X